5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2011 6:49 PM by mikiegfla RSS

Marriott and Orbitz dont Mesh!

broker Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Take a tip from me and dont book your hotel stays by way of an online travel agent like Orbitz.   I recently booked a stay at the Rennasaince New Orleans through Orbitz and discovered that the stay did not count for frequent guest credit.  I did not realize this and feel its terribly unfair simply because I bought the room through an agent.  Marriott picked the wrong person to deny credit as I have been a loyal guest for almost 30 years, stayed 498 nights at Marriott in my lifetime and i dont like what they have done to me.  Goodbye Marriott.  I think Hilton is the way to go now.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
  • Re: Marriott and Orbitz dont Mesh!
    versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I just happened upon that rule in the terms and conditions two days ago when I was looking for something else. I'd never thought about it before but now it pops up twice in a couple days.

Another reason it's not a good idea...one time I was waiting to check in behind someone at a Courtyard. There was some problem with the reservation and because he had made it through Expedia, the front desk agent wasn't able to help him with it. He had to call Expedia and didn't have the phone number or confirmation number.

Here's the exact verbiage if anyone is interested:

"Prepaid wholesale rates booked through third party online retailers are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit, including, but not limited to, Priceline.com, Hotwire.com, Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, etc. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for Points."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

All the other chains will treat you the same way when using a consolidator like Orbitz.  It is a fill the hotel plan they use from time to time and points cannot be accrued.

Sorry

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree on all the responses.  I found out the hard way several  years ago -- fortunately it was only a short stay.  All the major hotel chains have the same policy.  However, it's important to note that most airlines will accept and credit your frequent flyer number (at least Orbitz and Expedia definitely do so for Delta).

ProfChiara

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Everybody - I also learned that a long time ago when I was staying in Atlanta at, as I recall, a Hilton when I was lecturing at a conference being held there. So, as others have said, it's clearly not a Marriott-only rule. That being said, I have found on several occassions that Marriott's Look-No-Further guarantee (price match and a certain percentage off that!) has helped me get a room at a lower cost than that offered by some of the sites mentioned.

While I do understand the frustration of my fellow insiders who have lost the credits for a stay, I also recognize Marriott's (and others) reasoning behind their policies. The deeply discounted rooms provide very little profit margin for them, especially when you consider that some of the room cost goes to the booking site, and the hotel doesn't even receive the full cost of the room. In this case, you don't get something (elite night stay credit and points)  for very little, even though I, as I suspect the rest of you do, wish we could!

nhtraveler

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Like others have said here, this rule has been in place since the dawn of these consolidators. It's been my experience that Hilton and Hyatt will also deny accrual of points for these types of stays, so you may as well get off your high horse and continue to stay at Marriott's.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...