45 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2011 6:21 AM by profchiara RSS

MR To be or not to be...that is the question

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Sad to say, I contacted SPG about comp status --maybe if I had just come back from Athens (one of my great favorite Marriott hotels) without the RG, I would never have done so.  I inquired, and was told that if I stayed 15 nights in the next 90 days at SPG hotels I would automatically get Platinum status.

I picked SPG as a choice because I need Europe and Middle East for my stays, not North America.  I received a very considerate and thoughtful response (two, in fact), in which I was told it would be automatic after those 15 stays.  In theory, I could book 2 plus weeks at the Bangor airport Sheraton and do so and receive PLatinum SPG status through 2013 (but I am not one to waste money). Plus there is no way in my teaching schedule that I can do 15 stays in the next 90 days.

So I wrote back and got again a lovely response, saying she understood my concerns if I used 15 of what would normally (though will not be next month in Venice) be Marriott stays that I could lose Marriott status, and could not be guaranteed free breakfast, free internet, or guaranteed upgrades (harumph), but that she thought I would be very, very pleased with SPG's Europe and Middle Eastern properties and would not be disappointed even without those guarantees.

Well, I wrote back and said no, can't do that without such guarantees. I just received another email saying I will be contacted again in 24 hours by their Platinum desk.

I don't want to leave Marriott, I truly don't.  But with the latest range of serious problems experienced by myself and others, and the lack of Marriotts in many places I go, I am looking.  Does anyone know of comparable (geographical) programs that might comp status?

I feel really sad writing this. But in my stays of the past six months, most have not been at Marriotts because there were no Marriotts where I went or I had disappointing stays (always excepting the great Athens Ledra). In addition, most of my future stays will not be in Paris or the major cities of Italy as in the past but in southern France, Sicily, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, and Morocco. Some have Marriotts, some don't

I feel guilty even writing this, but I'm still in a bad mood about the RG and the sense I'm getting from Insiders is that it was not a unique experience but that there is a trend in not treating customers as in the past.

ProfChiara

ProfChiara

• Re: MR To be or not to be...that is the question
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ProfChiara

Your post bring both sadness and joy to me.  Sadness, because I will miss your wonderful posts relaying information from far, far, away place.  I look forward to your posts and frankly, marvel at all you have accomplished in life.  You are a special person!  Joy, because I too, have been considering a change, for many of the same reasons, and having you contemplate the same makes it feel somehow ok.  I also hope that someone above will take note  of the fact that you would even consider a change.  Anyway, bully for you for expressing your feelings!  Good luck.

Shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I find it appalling that with all of the recent negative posts that no one from Marriott has found it necessary to address them, neverless remedy the situations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Dear Shoeman and NewHilton,

I can't tell both of you how much I have been touched by your posts.  I really, really don't want to leave Marriott or Insiders, and certainly not because of my posts and as Arkwright so appropriately named it the Rive Gauche Affair.

I LOVE MARRIOTT!  Please listen, Marriott -- ask all your hotels and associates look at the policies of the Ghent Marriott, the Brussels Marriott and the Athens Ledra. If I were always treated as I have been in those places, I would never think of going elsewhere.

I probably still won't change, depending on the upcoming third reply from SPG, which seems the only program that fits the geographical areas where I stay.  Hilton doesn't fit very well.

But hotel loyalty chains need to listen to us and I think as you, Shoeman, said, the listening or at least the communication of changes does not seem to be happening.

In any case, whatever happens, I'm still an ambassador for a while and I don't intend to give up my MR membership even if someone offers me a better deal.

But I think maybe (and I realize this is a fraught comparison), the airlines have figured out loyalty programs better than hotels have (at least some airlines).

Where I think at least the major airlines got it right and hotel loyalty programs may have gotten it wrong, is that you never, ever diss your most loyal customers.  As I've said before I'm a Delta person, and maybe one of the only people in the world who's benefitted seriously from Skymiles, but I ALWAYS get treated well. I don't expect European or Middle Eastern upgrades, but they're nice when I get them. I always get them when I fly in the US.  And whenever I call Delta, I get treated like SuperCustomer.

I go back to Marriott's philosophy.  It needs to be reiterated to all Associates, all Hotels.  Without loyal customers, a hotel is nothing.  Likewise an airline.

Again, thank you both for your kind comments and I promise I won't go away (though maybe you'll wish I had on occasion).

ProfChiara

So what are we going to do about it?  We need to make people listen and get them back to Marriott core principles re: associates and hotels! Does anyone out there have contact with the Marriott family?

Insiders need a strategy.  Like I said, I love Marriott, and leaving would hurt me (as well as them), so how do we make our collective voice heard? Judging by both the mass and entirely different posts of MR Insiders, a change has happened with MR of which we've not been informed (not me as an Ambassador any more than non-ambassadors).  If that is NOT the case, what has happened to make sure each Marriott, based on level, is meeting expectations? In my case, it was close to the high level, which provoked my response at the extraordinary change at the Rive Gauche. But everyone who stays at a Marriott hotel deserves the guarantee made by its founders.

You may now have guessed, I am not a company (wo)man! But to Marriott, please listen to us. We have been loyal members for so many years yet the bulk of recent emails (unlike the previous year) are not about the changes to the site, but about actual problems with hotels not delivering on promises or not providing our expected upgrades or even okay rooms.  I think all of us understand we are in a difficult economy, but we need to get what we have been promised because we have been loyal. If that has changed BECAUSE of the economy, I think all of us would welcome being part of any changes.
    Cheers,
    ProfChiara

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

As I said earlier...

I find it appalling that with all of the recent negative posts that no one from Marriott has found it necessary to address them, neverless remedy the situations.

I always get an upgrade with Hilton... not so with Marriott.

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

Prof, Sorry to hear about your experiences recently. Any time I have a bad experience I inevitably brood about it for a while and eventually talk myself into thinking "the grass is always greener".

We all have different levels of what we'll put up with, but ultimately we shouldn't have to put up with whatever it is. If a hotel can't afford to provide top level service to all of it's customers, shouldn't it provide that service to it's most loyal customers? Sadly, it seems that the answer is that service is provided to the most valuable customers. And the most valuable customer seems to be the one providing the most revenue at that moment (not historically). Seems like a mistake to try to pry an extra 50 euros out of someone who has provided tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars of revenue to your business.

For me, part of the problem is not just The Rive Gauche Affair as Arkwright so aptly put it, but the perceived or actual unresponsiveness about these problems as many others have said.  They need to be addressed not only to us but, apparently from so many recent posts, at the hotel level.

Also for me, there is the increasing problem of not having Marriott hotels where I need to stay, despite often high-volume, high-level locations.  I am going to Venice, Italy in three weeks, and while I'll stay at the Airport Courtyard the night before I leave, I currently have reservations at the Metropole for the other six nights.

This is one of the reasons I contacted SPG, which has three hotels in Venice: the Danieli, the Gritti Palace, and the Westin Europa, all in Venice proper, not at the airport or in Mestre.  Why 1) are there so few Marriotts in Italy (just as an example), especially with the Capri having been eliminated from the brand; and 2) as with Toulouse, France, why are they at the airport, often an undesirable location except for leaving?

ProfChiara

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Imagine, just for a moment, that MR suddenly found the light and really improved on their customer service, truly eliminated blackout dates, and guaranteed suites or best available rooms for their premier members and really became the leader in lodging - - >

Just think how many "double dipper elites" would put all or most of their eggs into the Marriott basket and thumb their noses with Hilton, SP, etc.? It would be a revenue Bonanza for Marriott!

Knock - knock! Someone out their listening?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dear Professor,

I was taken with your heartfelt words and your angst over recent events.

Like friendships over a lifetime, there are times when being a friend to a friend is trying and counterinuitive.  I try to place myself in the other party's shoes (probably mistakenly) and get to the root causes. At times it works.

Now to the issue of Marriott:  we Insiders are but small players in a larger commerical enterprise. There should be special attention paid to the most loyal customers, and for a while, it was so with Marriott, other chains and with the airline companies.

In most for-profit businesses there is a constant tug of war between the accountants (practitioners of the "dismal art and science," whose worldview is naturally dollars and cents (not sense)) above all else, and advocates of customer loyalty and service.

The bean counters might be winning at the moment now that the economy is picking up (for traveling at least), thus we all suffer the results.  Airlines discovered that we'd live with those fees we never had before, while cutting flights and stuffing us in their uncomfortable cabins.

We're handcuffed (literally) by our accumulated Marriott Rewards points and even the few perks we actually get, so we remain loyal even in the face of declining recognition.

We cannot just walk away and join another program with ease (though IHG and Hilton readily comped me every year as a Platinum member). We travel frequently and we  adjust (getting that full can of diet soda on a plane is one perk I miss) to declining service and worse, recognition from our service providers and vendors.

Can we change all this? Not really.  Sadly, even though we (Insiders) are the reason a company makes a profit we are a small cog in a big, really big wheel.

Many people will never notice the changes that have been mentioned in these posts, and others will not care one iota where they stay, on what floor, at what price, or even notice what kind of recognition comes with the stay.

Will Marriott listen and make changes? Doubt it.  But then as others have pointed out repeatedly here I am usually wrong.  I sure hope so this time.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Prof and other contributors,

Your quotation from Hamlet reminds me of another reference to that work which often - and increasingly - comes to mind when I come to this website - that it is "like Hamlet without the Prince".

Beyond the occasional well-intentioned, but essentially anodyne response, there is little evidence that MR is inclined to engage with Insiders - in the first instance by genuinely listening, and thereafter through openly engaging in constructive discussion about issues - and even, occasionally, remedial action.

The site itself, as SS has said, is a grand idea; but the idea that its remit can somehow be confined to a polite exchange of information on, for example,  locations, pillows or restaurants, however useful, and should never turn to more difficult issues relating to current performance or future intent  - to which only Marriott itself can adequately respond - seems either startlingly naive or slightly manipulative.

Thank you

Here,Here Arkwright!

I'm not too sure I always know the exact intent of your posts, I must say I find them interesting and provocative.  I believe we can all agree that this site allows us to burn off some steam, heap some praise, or otherwise spew information relevant to few, but it is not an official complaint vehicle for us to reach corporate.  As others have mentioned, complaints should go through customer service, not through postings on this site.

Also, I believe ProfChiara said it well.  While it is important for us to rant and rave from time-to-time, most of us are die-hard Marriott loyalists who will remain as such for the rest of our travel days.  As ss said, one of the beauties of loyalty programs is that the investment works both ways.  Nonetheless, we all should continue to speak our minds, talking up the positives and brining the negatives to someone's attention in hopes of helping make things better for all.

Insiders is a great community and as long as we don't expect too much, it's usefulness will far outweigh and frustrations we feel along the way.

Thanks for allowing my rant..... By the way, did I say we don't want to lose ProfChiara?  This community is a better place because of you!!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I too have been disappointed with Marriott lately. That is one of the reasons I was given Diamond Elite Status with Hyatt and find I am staying more often at Hyatt than Marriott. Hyatt seems to appreciate their Diamond Members and I have been treated incredibly well there, unlike Marriott. There 4 suite upgrades a year is great and they even upgrade me to suites when I don't use the upgrade. Prof..you may want to consider looking at Hyatt...They reciprocate to their Diamond Level. It is very sad for me to have to express my feelings here also since I am a lifetime Platinum member. It used to be that Marriott really valued their Platinum Members but they just do not seem to care anymore...sad, sad, sad. or maybe they made it so easy to get the Platinum Status anymore that they have so many and Don't need to give the same service that they have in the past.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman...............

And I'm not sure that Arkwright understands the exact intent of his posts either;-)

Especally after a couple of glasses of good red wine.

Have a good week-end.

Arkwright

Well said, Arkwright! I often have a few glasses of red wine before my posts as well, as all can probably tell.  And Shoeman, thank you for your very nice comment.  Yes, we sometimes need a place to vent and rant and rave, but at heart most of us are Marriott loyalists who simply want real problems to be addressed, customers to be recognized and treated as they have been in the past, and issues acknowledged. And Jasper, thank you for the suggestion of Hyatt.  Part of my problem is different from that of others -- wanting to get rewards and slightly extra special attention at places where there are no Marriotts.

Versel and I have a conference call with Marriott next month.  While most of our role involves talking about the website and its issues, I will most certainly raise some of these issues.  I don't think it's just that all MR Insiders have suddenly gotten mean-spirited.  Something is happening out there that is causing so many negative posts about hotels or experiences that should be addressed. Whether it's pure economics, managerial issues, or differences in training, we can at least make sure they know we are talking about it at length.

Still I sense that among those of us who really are regulars, we have in a sense started to take our community back since we're involved and participating, albeit not always in the ways we would have liked.

ProfChiara

mdccwolf Platinum 3 Reviews

Hello.  I have seen the same type of treatment over the past 10-15 years.  You need to be more pro-active and contact Marriott rewards as well as corporate in Washington, D.C  They aways answer, and to call them is even bettter.  Good Luck.

The Shakespeare quote reminds me of my formerly frequently flier status when I almost always was upgraded to the Shakespeare seat 2B

Good one! (Of course nowadays it's usually NOT 2B.)

wow, 2 greats posts in a row!  Kudos to both of you.  Now, i am off to freshen up on my shakespeare.....

On a lighter note than Shakespeare, maybe some Mark Twain:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

ProfChiara

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Taylor Swift writes a song about every boy who does her wrong.

Dale Watson writes a song when the airline provides bad service.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/07/21/dale-watsons-tiger-airways-blues-song-video/

This Marriott in Paris is lucky it was the Professor they disrespected, and not Dale.

Thanks, NUHUSKER -- love it except that the stupid airline named itself after a big cat!

Even if I don't go viral about the RG (at the very least my horrific inability to carry a tune would ensure that), I think at least all Insiders know my experience, and I expect most of us tell others...

I expect I got the Rive Gauche more than a few customers over the years with my rave reviews, so it makes it even worse that they treated me so poorly (and that I wrote about it and took photos).

ProfChiara

And the hits just keep on coming --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

I love it!  Any songs about hotel rooms or treatment?

I'm looking but so far notta.  But surely some disgusted guest has documented their lodging frustrations in song?

There must be.  I've certainly seen some of the photos of (not speaking of Marriott!!!) hotel rooms that are gross beyond belief on websites and tripadvisor.

Any enterprising singer out there care to put one to music?

ProfChiara

Agree.  There's got to be a way to blend together Jerry Morgan's filthy slippers, casualtravlr1's scuzzy latrine, and the rude way you were treated at the hotel in France into a tune!

Any songwriters out there???

Hi NUHUSKER,

Despite my utter lack of musical skills, I'll try to use my hymn singing (which makes everyone around me in church quite distraught) to create a first line with what I hope can be a country song.  I can't figure out how to do notes so my dashes indicate up or down in singing voice:

I think Jerry Morgan should be awarded the title in his name "Jerry's Slippers"

"It began with Jerry's slippers..."

EDIT:  Sadly my dashes didn't work.  Here's my best written try:

IT (up two notes) BEGAN WITH JER- (down one note)RY's SLIP-(down two notes) PERS...

Of course a rock version might be even more productive.  I can imagine Mick Jagger getting into this idea. Everyone else feel free to add a line with music.  Hey maybe we can get on Youtube as the Marriott Insiders...

ProfChiara

My Monterey next door neighbor is an accomplished songwriter, musician and owns his own music company (no personal information from me) but I will be glad to be his agent for any Insider who wants to commission a song about hotels and Marriott Rewards points.

Meanwhile, here are some suggested titles:

1. Don't Cry for me Platinum Premier (sorry ALW)
    2. I got plenty of upgades (sorry GG)
    3. Summertime, and the blackouts are easy (sorry GG again)
    4. The wrong side of the hotel (sorry GF and the Eagles)

and, my personal number one, (actually number 6 on the all-time list of Rock and Roll singles from Rolling Stone).  Cue the long intro and the horn section:

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
    Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
    Up ahead in the distance, I saw shimmering light
    My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
    I had to stop for the night
    There she stood in the doorway;
    I heard the mission bell
    And I was thinking to myself,
    'This could be Heaven or this could be Hell'
    Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
    There were voices down the corridor,
    I thought I heard them say...

no upgrades for you.

bigdogbill Platinum 7 Reviews

Being new to these Insiders threads I have enjoyed reading your reviews ProfChiara and would hate to see you leave. You are well educated and traveled.

I really hope you don't leave and we can convince Marriott that this unfriendly trend of treatment of their most loyal guests is bad policy.

I am here to assist on whatever can be done to get the attention of Marriott Corporate on this.

Regards.

BigDogBill

Thanks BigDogBill!  I think I was just so exasperated that I did start looking around.  But ultimately I love the other Insiders and for the most part Marriott properties.  So you're stuck with me!

And SS, great song title suggestions! Anyone ready to continue the song?

ProfChiara

I think I have a second line:

It began with Jerry's slippers

On a big ole nasty floor

(I'm channeling Harry Chapin at the moment).

FYI -- Dale Watson sang his ode to Tiger Airlines on Fox and Friends this morning.  He did report, however, that he had been reimbursed the excess baggage fee and the 1200 euros for the loss of his CD collection.  But then, he sang the song anyway.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

"Oh them "Golden" slippers!".

They were "Pearl White", but after two days at the Springhill Suites in N. Louisville, (Like an aging Sauterne), they had had it.  What an experience!, my guest's were not impressed with this hotel.

Ah, Jerry, but an aging Sauterne, especially a Château d'Yquem, is a marvelous thing...

To continue our song, we probably need two lines, one rhyming to a certain degree with slippers and the next with floor that hopefully continue our theme and let us get rid of steam: )

Maybe:

Blippers, Clippers, Dippers, flippers, gippers, hipsters, kippers, nippers, quippers, Rippers, Sticklers, Tippers, Whippers, Yippers...

For floor:

Boor, chore, core, door, four, gore, {entry deleted}, lore, more, Noor, nor, poor, roar, soar, sore, tore, Tour, wore...

COme on folks, let's make a song about our experiences and SS will get his neighbor to produce it!

Cheers, ProfChiara

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

You all are making me laugh so much!  Don't think I can add much...but then, who knows after a glass or two of wine?!  Keep those songs coming!

Hey Lakeshore,

Here's my best try based on Jerry's response (and goodwill to him for allowing us to use his phrase to start the Insiders Anthem).

It began with Jerry's slippers

On an ole nasty floor

The room was full of nail clippers

Unto the very door...

Go drink some wine then add to our song!
    ProfChiara

Maybe we could borrow from Frank SInatra (hope I'm right, slightly before my heyday), and title our song Pearly Whites?

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

I travel considerably but can't a;lways get a Marriott property where i have to go so I belong to a number of hotel programs, my simple solution has been to go back to where I was treated well at the front desk.  Not always good for a number of upgrades but some satisfaction in hearing someone say welcome back!  I just stayed the past two days at the Spring Hill Suites Midtown in Cincinnati, Ohio great location and staff was wonderful....Bill

p.s. Prof C. don't entirely leave Marriott i would so miss your posts!

I promise I won't!  I'd miss all of you!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

That is very SUITE.

Nicely said, Jasper100!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

The "Nectar to the gods", is what Chateau DQ is all about!

Nothing like it!

Enjoy one on your current or upcoming trip!  Especially after your Parisianne experience.

I have one coming up, I hope I don't have anothe "Golden slippers", experience.

You bet, Jerry!  I'm off to Venice in two weeks.  Six days at the Metropole and one night at the Courtyard Airport.  (My flight leaves very early.)
    Cheers to all!

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...