3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2011 5:50 PM by ssstw1 RSS

Using Marriott Rewards Points To Upgrade a Paid Reservation?

rjpdiver Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Greetings from NJ!  My wife, kids, and I will be travelling to the Marriott in Curacao soon.   Didn't have enough points for a free stay, though to be honest the room rate is pretty good so I might have paid for it cash anyway.  In any event, I was wondering if there's a way to use points to upgrade a stay that I am paying cash for.  We have an Ocean View room reserved, but I would really love to upgrade to a suite. This is our third trip to this property and my wife has always expressed an interest, but it's never seemed worth the extra money. Figuring if I can swing an upgrade with points that might be a nice surprise - appreciate any input or insights folks might have.

Ray

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Curacao
  • Re: Using Marriott Rewards Points To Upgrade a Paid Reservation?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Have you called them directly to ask?  You may have noticed that there is a flurry of postings on what may be a new and confusing Marriott policy on suites.  I'd call and ask--and then perhaps you'll get a suite as an upgrade?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

You used to be able to upgrade with points...5,000 per upgrade per night, if you were paying for the room.  I am not sure if that is still possible.  I would call the Marriott Rewards line and ask.  Good luck to you!  It sounds like you will have a wonderful time! Please let us know how it goes!

ssstw1 Platinum

I have done exactly this.  I called the Hotel Manager, explained what I wanted to do, and he worked out a mix of Certificates, Points, and Cash to get the suite we needed to accomodate our family for a long weekend.   With that said, I have tried at other properties with less success.  Suffice to say it CAN be done, but I think it a matter of the local manager working his magic in the system - I know of no "normal" process to get this done.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...