31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2015 8:59 AM by tombl RSS

Avoid the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas at all costs!

gmarkwpi Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Stay elsewhere on the strip like the Marriott Villas a block away! I requested an upgrade as a Gold member, and they said they could not honor, and did not offer anything in lieu. Checked out on Sun 10 Jul, and it took me over an hour to check-out. I had reservations for 3 rooms, and each room had erroneous mini-bar charges or false restaurant charges. What started as a great trip was soured by the poor customer service from this property. STAY FAR AWAY!!!

• Re: Avoid the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas at all costs!
    dalekana Platinum 2 Reviews

Where's Laura? She should be answering this question.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Laura was just holding down the fort for a short time after Andrew left.  Andy has been the site monitor for the past couple of months.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sirtravelsalot Platinum

I'm sorry that you had such a bad time at the Cosmopolitan!  My experience was just the opposite.  Though I am a Marriott Platinum member, I still did not get an upgrade either.  I think that's because the hotel is so new, it is the hottest place on the strip and everyone wants to stay there, it's hard to give away upgrades when they can sell them, you know.  But, they did put me in the East Tower with a fabulous view of the Bellagio Fountains.  As for the extra charges, they do have those auto charge deals in your room.  If you pick up some candy or remove a soda from your fridge, you are charged automatically.  I had to learn that the hard way on my first trip.  Overall, I LOVE the Cosmopolitan.  I have booked my next 4 stays there for business.  Checking in and checking out SUCKS!!!  They get busy guys!!!  When you check in, make sure that they have your email...you can check out via your TV.  The pools rock!!!  The restaurants are awesome!!!  STK is fabulous.  I had a waitress names Michelle there...she's the best!!!

tombl Member

I told Cosmopolitan to remove the items that were for sale in the room, and they did.
      Food at this hotel is great.  It's great to have an outdoor balcony overlooking Vegas.  A very comfortable hotel. 

elitepro Member

I like the JW Marriott because it is miles away from the strip, but the most fun that you can have on the strip is at  The Venetian. visiting Venice http://www.elitepro-travel.com/2011/09/adult-play-ground-on-strip-is-must-see.html  sitting on the terrace with gondolas going by and a fake sky ...............

proelite Platinum 1 Reviews

i think that the best hotel near vegas is the JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa has a great rate this weekend $152 Marriott eBreaks® offers you exceptional weekend rates (for stays Thursday 09/15 through Sunday 09/18 ) for

shesha Silver

I'm staying at the Cosmopolitan next week. I hope I didn't make a mistake???

pusher Platinum 3 Reviews

Our first visit to the Cosmo as a platinum member was a little missing but our stay in late Sep. was wonderful.  We were able to use the invited guest line to check in and check out.  We did get a room upgrade on a thursday check-in.  They comped breakfast at the wicked spoon and the staff there was wonderful.  Look for Flora and if you are a plat. you can go to the invited guest line!!!.  We had dinner at Scarpetta and if you are a foodie at all they were great and we even got a tour of the Kitchen.    A great stay.  We did put our points on thier identity program as we have lots of Marriott points (its an either/or program) but i was wondering if we would get credit for nights on my Membership Rewards account.  The Chandelier Bar is worth a stop or two.  Each level has different libation and the service was very good.  Fun to people watch as well.  shesha - you did not make a mistake - have fun.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Sorry you had a bad experience.

But put me in the category of folks who have had the opposite experience at this hotel.  We stayed in this property right after it opened, and we loved it.  Fabulous room (and balcony), wonderful breakfast, nice staff, great location, comfortable pool and recreation deck, unique soaking tubs.... Fans of the Belagio outdoor water show will love the balconies - you can watch (and listen to) the water show endlessly (and we did).... 

I've posted elsewhere on this site about this new property, as have a number of other people.  So, alas, it seems like you had some bad luck during your visit.

Which does beg the question: wouldn't it be great if the new webpage guided readers to related content?

I just did a quick search.  There are a number of post-and-comment strings about this hotel, which opened earlier this year.  Some are linked on the right-hand side of the page...  But there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  Oh well, all things in time....

Anyway, the hotel staff appears to have offered a mixed-bag experience since opening.  That's not surprising (but still disappointing) given the size and complexity of the property.  But, still, my sense is that the feedback, overall, has been more positive than negative....

Message was edited by: SSinDC

Location Brand Hotel
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Autograph Collection The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection

To be fair - first trip just OK - missing a few of the loyal marriott touches -

Second stay - outstanding and cant wait to head back -

kbeeker Platinum 1 Reviews

They upgrade based on what they have available. I was there last Friday and the were are 103% capacity. I had two rooms booked and was there for only one night, so they put me in a new two bedroom Penthouse Suite, which was very nice. I have been upgraded a to a wrap around suite 3 other times. Now I am a Platinum Elite member, so I don't know how much this matters. I have two rooms for next month and I know that I will not be upgraded to the Penthouse for five nights. It just will not be available for that long. Now if I was only there for one night, maybe two if it was the middle of the week, I might get it. I can accept that because I know how things work.

Now for the bad side. The front desk service is below average. Very long lines, not enough people to work the front desks, spending 20 minutes per person to get someone checked in, Never offering arrival gift (for Platinum). They do not act like a Marriott hotel. It is kind of like they have to put up with Marriott members. I have talked to many people who work there and the ones who have worked for Marriott at other hotels, get it. Those who have not don't have a clue.

I use to stay at the JW Marriott when I went to Vegas and still use it as a backup. It is a nice hotel, just not as nice as the Cosmo.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow...really mixed reviews. Now I don't know whether to stay at the Cosmopolitan or not!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jasper,

Agreed, this seems to have reports at both ends of the the spectrum!

I think the issue is that the Cosmo was a hot strip property with those issues to deal with along with trying to integrate the loyal Marriott Rewards folks and it took a while to get it done but they have done it.  I would rec. everyone Marriott person to give them a try and have a drink at the Chandelier bar. 

malinz Platinum 1 Reviews

I am also a platinum member and had a  bad experience. It took 45 minutes and two calls to the Marriott reservations to get checked in when I stayed there. I like the hotel, food, etc but would choose another property in the future. They don't appear to be linked up with any of the Marriott computre systems. Rare to have this type of experience with any Marriott property since they have such high standards and treat their loyalty members very well.

With all the mixed views, I am having a hard time deciding whether of not to stay at this property...very inconsisent???

willshire Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm platinum elite and did not receive (nor expect) an upgrade at Cosmo. Overall decent stay, but I also had to reverse mistaken minibar charges.

Btw, you do not have to wait in the long lines in the front if you are plat...just go into the VIP room to check-in.

robby01 Platinum

Just returned home from a 3 night stay at the Cosmopolitan.  Cool hotel but horrible service.  Long hold times on the phone, long lines to check in, long lines to check out.  Neither lobby kiosk nor room TV was working for check out.  No upgrades available for Gold members and the staff is very quick to point out that this is not a Marriott and they don't have anything to do with Marriott other than grant Marriott points for stays.  An early check in request was not honored.  When I visited the spa and asked for a brochure describing the services and the pricing, I was told the brochure was not available yet (hotel has been open for 9 months).  Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.  The staff at the Cosmopolitan seems to think they are very cool amd I would prefer to stay at a hotel where the staff thinks the guests are pretty cool.

Sorry you had a bad experience here. With all the mixed reviews we are getting on this property, you would think that the Marriott would respond to the lack of service at the Cosmopolitan and what we as loyal Marriott customers should expect. It seems unacceptable to me that the Cosmopolitan would be quick to point out that this is not a Marriott and they don't have anything to do with the Marriott other tahn granting Marriott points for the stays. I don't believe this is consistent with the relationshop that Marriott has established with the Cosmoplitan...

md2128 Platinum

Just stayed at the Cosmopolitan Nov 2-4 and had a better than normal Marriott experience. I received a call two days before my stay as a welcome and to tell me where to check in as a platinum member. Got a great room with a view like the one in the brochure, comped breakfast at the wicked spoon and received a follow up call once I had checked into the room for any requests. Beautiful hotel and incredible rooms. Two small downsides. 1) had to pay $15/day for internet - usually no charge at other Marriott properties and 2) my meetings started at 8am and the restaurant doesn't open until some time after that. I plan to stay there again when in LAS and hope to get the same great room.

Glad you had a great esperience at the Cosmopolitan..I plan on staying there on my next visit to see how it is from a first hand experience!!! The reviews seem to be very good or very bad and nothing inbetween. I hope its not just a luck of the draw!!!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

You probably should call CS about the $15 if you're an Elite.  It's supposed to be free after last year.

Also, I think it's probably a normal practice at all LV hotels to try to get away with charging for things not taken.  The Flamingo charged everyone $5 for a bottle of water whether they used it or not when I was there for a convention a few years ago.  You had to ask for it to be removed, but not everyone noticed, I'm sure.

The following year was at a different hotel that had just been bought by Hard Rock.  I forget the name right now.  It was so much better, though.

Everyone should check their bills in this city.  It's a gambler's town and they're gambling you won't check.

richie_the_c Platinum 2 Reviews

I had the same thing happen to me both times I stayed at the Cosmo with the mini bar charges.  I was told they are very sensitive and sometimes go off for no apparent reason.  When I called down to tell them I didn't remove anything from the minibar they removed the charges no questions.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I plan to stay there in January . Does anyone know the email address of GM and their name . I want to try to get an upgraded room

Platinum 28 Reviews

Let us know what happens with your request - it seems, from what I've heard, that they consider Marriott customers an inconvenience.

Vegas operates under it's own rules.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jerryl,

My experience with the Cosmo has always been good.  They seem to treat Platinum Rewards Members very well especially with upgrades. I don't think you will have a problem getting a room upgrade there unless they are near capacity.  You will more than likely get a welcome email from the Cosmo prior to your stay in which you will have the opportunity to make special requests.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

two additional thoughts (although both have been said before):

• consider a supplemental upgrade if it will get you 10 or more floors higher - they have many "tiers" of upgrades - it's worth $10, 20, 30, or more if you like views, enjoy watching the Belagio water show, want to watch sunsets and sunrises, etc.; and
        • enjoy the Wicked Spoon for brunch - if you haven't experienced an over-the-top breakfast buffet in a high-end Asian or Middle-Eastern luxury hotel, it's about as entertaining as it gets here in the U.S....

went to wicked spoon when they were still comping it for platinum and yes you are right it was fantastic. Second time I went they no longer gave you a  free breakfast . Will see what happens with upgrades as I chose to actually pay for it as with cyber weekend the cost was relatively low compared to using 135k points

Sent request to concierge and answer was they would put request on my record so not as accomodating as others i have tried . Still hope one of the community manahers can get me GM 's e mail