18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2011 12:53 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Munich - impending changes

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Some information for those Insiders visiting or thinking of visiting Munich:

1. Closure of the Renaissance Munich from 30th September. This hotel is a relatively old building, within a stone's throw of the Munich Marriott - both hotels being located in the residential suburb of Schwabing, 6 stops on U6 from the city centre. Despite their uncertain futures, the staff here are maintaining a more than adequate service.

2. Opening of a second Courtyard "in the near future" at a site adjacent to the first Courtyard in city centre.

3. Opening of a Residence - the first in Europe, I believe, again "in the near future"

Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Munich, Germany
Munich, Bavaria, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Munich Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Munich - impending changes
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Arkwright,

Good information, Thanks!

Have a trip coming up to Munich, and actually liked the Ren. better than the Marriott.  The rooms were really large, and the dining was always very good as well.

Have not stayed at the CY, but it is closer to the train station.

I think they should have closed the Airport Marriott, it was difficult to get to and really a mediocre place.

Thanks again!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jerry,

Re. Munich Marriott - I agree totally. It seems strange that it does not have an Executive Lounge, nor offers complementary breakfast at the w/es.

I find Munich a very satisfying place to visit - in fact I might even try to write a piece about it - in the style of ProfC.

Thanks

Arkwright,

I would enjoy reading about your Munich experiences.  I am planning to go back for Christmas and used to really enjoy the REN. in Garmisch.  It was one of my favorite Marriott's in the world, and now it is no longer a Marriott property.

Munich, is really a great place to use as a base for day trips to Salzburg, Zugspitzer, Italy, or Bavaria.  There is really something special about Marionplatz and The Hoffbrau House.

retired Platinum

My wife and I will be traveling to Munich in May and would like to know if the Courtyard or the Marriott hotel would be the better choice. We are  traveling by train from Frankfurt and then taking the train again to Berlin five days later. I like the idea that the Courtyard is close to the train station and down town (walking distance). I understand that the Marriott hotel has been renovated, I'm just not sure I want to stay away from down town as we won't have a car.

Retired,

Since you are arriving by train, I would stay at the Cy downtown.  Munich is a great town and there is a lot to do, but do consider renting a car for a day trip or two to go South about an hour to Garmisch (Zugspitzer Mountain) and "Passion play" city of Ommer. 

Some interesting sites in Munich would include, Olympic Village, Dachau, Marrionplatz, and of course The HofBrau House.

DSCN0155_0122.jpg

DSCN0152_0120.jpgDSCN0142_0113.jpg

retired Platinum

Jerry

Thanks, we will try and do the day trips you suggest.

Retired,

Here is a couple of pictures of places you could easily go on a day trip.  You also can get the thrill of getting passed on the autobahn!

Garmisch and Oberammagau,

DSCN0132_0106.jpgDSCN0134_0108.jpg

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Love the Bavarian Alps, where my father's family was from.  The cows heading down the streets at dusk with those large cow bells is a sight, isn't it?  And the Zugspitz, fantastic.  Have you driven the Ring yet?  Also a hair raising experience especially in a Porsche!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Great Pictures..looks like a lot of fun!!!!

Retired,

I think that SS, Jerry and Chrisf have each made valuable contributions, so only a few words from me.

1.     The Marriott is in Schwabing which is about 5 kms from the city centre. It is a pleasant residential suburb, served by the U6 at Nordfreihof - 6 stops from Marienplatz. My personal view is that this is not the best of Marriotts; the building is austere, there is no Executive Lounge and no complimentary breakfasts at the w/e. Its big "plus" for me is proximity to the EnglischeGarten - one of the jewels of Munich.

2.     There are now 2 CYs  - in close proximity to each other and to the S train stop that you will take to and from the Haupbahnhof. There is also a recently opened Residence Inn .

3.    If you have a free moment after following all fellow Insiders" suggestions, I'd add a visit to the Schloss Nymphenburg, and in particular the Park surrounding it; and perhaps taking a S train down to Tutzing on the side of a beautiful inland lake to the south of Munich.

Have a good trip.

AI

retired Platinum

Thanks guys for all the helpful tip, its a big help and the pictures are great also.

Doug

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

We don't use Marriott in Munich anymore.  The Renaissance team gave us a poor room and there was a family dog in the restaurant of the Marriott when we ate there.  The main issue that I had with the dog situation was that the children on that table were petting the dog and then using their fingers to take items from the Sunday Brunch Buffet!  When I commented to the manager on the dog being allowed in the restaurant, I was told that this was common in Germany, provided it was a small dog.

Jerry, we were in Oberammagau last year for the Passion Play ... amazing!

In fact, I probably wouldn't eat in any Marriotts in Germany.

Chris,

I am sorry that you will not eat at any Marriott's in Germany.

We all have our needs, but I have to tell you I have had a great time and meals at many Marriott's in Germany.

Thanks for spelling Oberammagau for me, having been there a number of times, I really enjoy the place, but have never been to the Passion Play.

Retired,

One more idea for another "Day trip" is Neuschwanstien Castle.  This is a very memorable and lovely place to see and experience.  I drove there and back easily from Munich, but you could also take a tour bus as well.  Do not know if there is rail service.  Have a great trip.  Here are a few pictures.

HPIM0058.JPGHPIM0061.JPGHPIM0101.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
    Munich, Bavaria, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Munich Marriott Hotel
      Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry did you walk up to the castle or take the cart?  I did both on different occasions.

walked,

but i would take a cart next time!

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I have been to Munich a few times.  I stayed in the Courtyard Downtown and liked the hotel.  The location is near the train station and it is very convenient.

When I book a plane ticket somewhere, I usually book in a certain order:

Hotel

Rental car

Flight.

Then, if the flight isn't the one I intended to get, I can adjust the other things to suit.  This has worked well for me during the past several years. However, I have noticed a really outrageous cancellation policy when browsing the Marriott hotels in Munich last month>

Cancellation fee:  90% of ENTIRE STAY.

I really really object to this sort of thing.  I recognize that there need to be cancellation fees in some cases, but this was really atrocious. I was also getting hotel rates that are all over the map.

Anyone else seen this or have any comments?

Techie,

Thanks for sharing this with us.  Did not know about the cancellation policy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...