2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2011 6:46 PM by rgtr43 RSS

St Kitts upcoming trip

rgtr43 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

We'll be going to St Kitts within the next 2 weeks, taking our 2 young boys age 9 and 7, really looking forward to it. We're looking for an adventurous vacation, ie, snorkeling, looking for crabs, seashells, etc (hopefully turtles) and some hiking in the surrounding areas of the hotel while looking for critters (iguanas?). We're also looking for affordable "kid friendly" eating places closeby the hotel. Is there a bicycle rental place nearby? Should we rent a car for a day or so?

Does anyone know how to access the individual menu items from the resort (La Cucina, Royal Grille Restaurant, etc)? We did not purchase a meal plan, want to make it an affordable vacation that doesn't break the bank.

In the virtual concierge, there is a Sky Safari option available, can this be done with children? Is the Kids Club a good alternative?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you may provide!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Kitts
  • Re: St Kitts upcoming trip
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I took my family there in 2003 (?) shortly after the property opened. My daughter (10) and son (8) still talk about visiting the Brimstone Hill Fortress and I concur - this is a MUST see.

As for affordable meals? Not a chance - at least around the resort for food and felt that the hotel's eateries were too expensive for a family of four.

About a half-mile from the hotel was an "Italian" restaurant that wanted $22 for a plate of spaghetti with 3 golf-ball sized meatballs (which tasted yuk). Since I had a rental car for the week, we drove into town to the KFC to save some $. We also found a grocery store in Basseterre to help defray some costs. If it's not too late, get the meal plan and rental car for the week.

My family did three day trips - Brimstone, a guided tour horse ride into the rain forest, and a drive around the whole island with a stop in town for some local shopping.

It's been 8+ years, so things may have changed, but do see Brimstone and do get a weekly rental car.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: St Kitts upcoming trip
    rgtr43 Gold 1 Reviews

Thank you Pingreeman for your answer. I will definitely look into the fortress visit as you suggest, this may come as a nice surprise to our boys.

I have also read elsewhere about some affordable restaurants nearby the hotel at walking distance, and even a small grocery store where we can buy snacks for the day. The meal plan for the week at this hotel comes at 90,000 points (at $12.50 per 1,000 points, this comes to more than $1,100 just for meals)... A bit "overkill", considering I can use thes points for another great vacation next year. (Obtaining points took a while for me to obtain, so I prefer to use them for the actual hotel stay, as opposed to the meal plan).

The car rental you suggest might be a great idea to get to know the island, at a minimum 2-3 days of the week.

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...