Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2011 10:03 AM by NathalieF RSS

Matrix

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Got to thinking about different folks who frequent Insiders and wondered about this formulation:  why can we be basing the site on the way in which an Insider uses it, rather than one size fits all.

To do this I'll need some input.

How about a matrix of needs and wants based on the user's frequency of visiting and/or posting?

Thus. as a start see if these makes sense or are too normative in defintion?

1. Casual Visitor/Infrequent Poster
  2. Frequent Visitor/Infrequent Poster
  3. Frequent Visitor/Frequent Poster
  4. Super User/Super Poster

For each category, what should Insiders be, in terms of utilities and components?

I put myself (he says haughtily) in category 4 and would appreciate seeing context sensitive drop-down menus when I mouse over a theme, those being liked to a variety of posts or posters who have opined on  the same subject or area in the past.

I'd also like to see a button for "Ask Marriott" on the Insider site, one which would engender a response from Corporate.

I'd like to see many more topical categories than the current four so that the site would become more able to meet my needs for information and sharing.

Comments welcomed, even severe rebukes!

• Re: Matrix
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

sorry, but TMI (too much information).  I want professionals at Marriott to formulate a site that both fits my needs ( as well as most travelers).  I am not interested in developing the site for Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

I like your idea!

When it comes to traveling today, I am not so sure you can have "Too much information".  Information saves time and a lot of money.  You know as well as I, "The fun days" of traveling are sure not the same today.  The stress is real, and so often, it is the people who depend upon us who "Pay the price", for us lacking the right information.

If Marriott would only "Promote" the aspect of "Insiders".  It is a great tool for all types of travelers.  The information shared is invaluable for all.

Stepping, the Insiders gives Marriott a tremendous advantage over other hotel properties.  It is so easy to get information about Marriott properties and their access to places and things a traveler want to participate in/or around.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

IMO, it's all about searching capabilities on the MRI site. Whether it be A&A, forums, Business/Hotels/Marriott Rewards/Local Area or dozens of more categories (hopefully not, but you catch my drift), if I can search a topic by keywords using "must contain" and/or "excludes" and/or "exact phrase" (essentially a google advanced search of MRI), then frankly, I don't care how the site is designed to any specific need or super-user.

The purpose of this site is to EXCHANGE information; the purpose of information is the ABILITY TO FIND IT.

Pingreeman

well put!  this is exactly how I feel also.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any point in changing this website again.  Once I learned how to use and move around the first one I liked it.  Then BAM...overnight unannounced change!  Now we're put on notice that it's gonna be changed, reinvented, reintroduced, or whatever corporate talk terminology they're using, again.  Maybe other insiders have time, patience, knowledge and don't care how often the website is changed or what it looks like.  But for me, and I suspect many, many others who just don't post it, all this change is nonsense.  I participated in a phone/computer camera group along with 5 or 6 other insiders who frequently post here.  Most of what they talked about made absolutely no sense to me and honestly I couldn't care less about improving the search capabilities.  I just wanted to be able to use my iPad to make a post.  Well, that got a little attention initially, but guess what -- still can't make a post using my iPad.  So the one issue I had has been shelved so somebody can bragg about their new upcomig website.

Husker

Happy Independence Day!  Some day, someone will figure out how to allow posts from your ipad.  I hope.....

Thanks Shoeman.  It occurs to me that I felt much more "independent" before I ever saw or even heard of a computer.

My overall hope is that the new design will lure and attract more MRI members to enhance and enlarge the exchange of information. IMO, the current MRI site (had I just joined) would not thrill me to participate as often as I do. But having joined MRI with the vastly superior "version one" site, I have continued to visit and post comments knowing the "version three" MRI is to be rolled out in the near future.

Perhaps I am too optimistic on what the new site will bring to the MRI community, but I am willing to accept a redesign and new format if it will allow me to find value in the time and energy I put into this site. As of current design, navigation and finding information is a black hole of time and effort inefficiency.

I hope the new site has an "all posts since last visited" to vastly improve my efficiency in visting the site for I would not have to wade through dozens of clicks to read what's been happening.

I hope the new site offers an "all replies to a member's post" to expedite the process of my finding who agrees, disagrees, or adds extra insight and commentary on my posts.

There are 973 A&A postings and 21,030 Forum postings - LOTS of information. But as in my first comment in this string, if one cannot search with ease and allow some "pinpoint" results, this site is not going to be improved no matter what bells and whistles are added.

Lastly, considering there are over 30M MR members and only 16,219 registered MRI members, there is a huge untapped opportunity for a "grand redesign" of MRI. Let's hope the development team gets it right.

"I hope the new site has an "all posts since last visited" to vastly improve my efficiency in visting the site for I would not have to wade through dozens of clicks to read what's been happening."

"I hope the new site offers an "all replies to a member's post" to expedite the process of my finding who agrees, disagrees, or adds extra insight and commentary on my posts."

Both very good features for the new website.  I hope Marriott agrees.

Yup, "Big Brother" is truly watching.......

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

SS,

A stimulating piece of thinking.

One thing that frequently strikes me  about the Insider site is the extent to which it seems to be US-centric. Please don't take this as, in any sense, a criticismIt is just an observation. And given Marriott's history, and the proportion of its hotets etc that are located in the USA, it would surprising if it were otherwise. But it does mean that, for non-North Americans such as myself, much of the Site is, in one way or another,  "off our radars".

I wonder if you could somehow add a "non-USA" category to your matrix. It might help to encourage inputs with a more globally diverse focus and source.

Good luck

The MRI site is asking for recommendations for groups. The non-NA group could be a suggestion. See Help Us Determine . . .

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

This a great discussion! In case you haven't seen our latest update, a brief overview of the exciting changes can be found here.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...