9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2016 8:17 PM by peymanagement RSS

BEWARE! Of Marriott Vacation Clubs sales calls......

gohrns Member
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are planning to take the family to Disney World for Thanksgiving.  We received a call from Marriott Vacation Club.  They said they found our phone number from the Marriott Rewards Program.  They offered us a very good price on a Villa in Orlando over the Thanksgivng weekend.  We specifically asked if the villa provided a shuttle to the parks and we were told yes.  We were told the villa is only 5 minutes from the parks.  We were also told that we had one year to use the reservation if we were unable to keep the reservation in November.  After paying the cost of the reservation we received an email in two days confirming the purchase.  The email said we had to use the reservation by 12/20/11.  We contacted the resort to ask about the shuttle.  We were told the resort does not provide a shuttle service and that the parks are 8 miles away.  Sales people misrepresented what we were purchasing and flat out lied to us.  When we contacted the vacation club customer service we were told we had to speak to a manager and they would be in touch within 3 business days.  Not very good customer service.

They are trying to sell us on the vacation club membership, yet from the very beginning we are lied to and then offered poor customer service.  Very poor sales strategy if you ask me,  Evidently this is a sales special they are offering for July, so beware if you get a call from them.  Buyer be very aware when dealing with them.

We are hoping they will at least honor the year to use promise they gave us, or give us a refund.   Guess we'll see just how good a customer service they give.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Orlando, Florida, USA
  • Re: BEWARE! Of Marriott Vacation Clubs sales calls......
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Both answers may have been correct.  E.G., when you discussed shuttle service to DW, were you asking about shuttles from the timeshare resorts or from the hotel?

A few facts: Some of of the Orlando-area MVCI timeshare resorts are adjacent to a hotel, while some are separate properties.

The hotels generally offer shuttle service to DW, the stand-alone timeshare resorts usually do not.

If MVCI sales assigned you to a local Marriott hotel for your promotional stay, you will have shuttle service. - this is a correct answer to your inquiry.  However, if you buy into the timeshare program and your purchase is at a MVCI resort that is not adjacent to a hotel, in the future you will probably not have shuttle service when you later stay at your timeshare.

In other words, both representations are probably correct --- it depends upon whether you were asking about shuttles from a local Marriott hotel or from one of the stand-alone MVCI resorts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gohrns Member 1 Reviews

Thanks for your response.  The offer is to stay at the MVC resort not a hotel.  This is a sales promotion.  We have to attend a 90 minute sales pitch while we are there.  It is a promotion for the MVC membership.  If we were not being offered a hotel why would there be confusion about the shuttle?  We called the resort and they said it is well known that the resorts don't offer a shuttle.  So why wouldn't the sales person know that well known information?

We may need to explore the option of a hotel next door.  Bottom line though is the sales person needs to have the correct information.  If they don't know the answer they shouldn't give an answer.  The sales person said he was from Orlando and represented that he knew the area well. 

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

gohrns

clearly, you were lied to.  others may try to put a positive spin on it, but the reality is that these timeshare sellers are the lowest of the low and will go all out to get you sold before you know what hit you.  Please keep us posted as to what transpires.  thanks

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

Who besides you and your wife knew of your plans???  Did someone is the household, tweet, twitter or facebook those plans?? 

You didn't give out any account or credit card information to "hold" the villa??  I would certainly check my account for any possible "fraud.  I would even call to put a warning on my account.

I have NEVER heard of such a phone call of this type.  I hope you have the alleged "sales person's" name, date and time that you spoke with them.  I think it's a total scam...if you want my opinion.

Three business day is the usuall turn around time for return contact from Marriott Vacation Club customer service.  I hope my "woman's intuition" is wrong.

gohrns Member 2 Reviews

It was legit because when my wife spoke to the resort they had our reservation.

When the person who was supposed to call us back didn't my wife called the Vacation Cub customer service again.  She was told they don't give refunds.  She explained again what had happened and all the points of misrepresentation.  The cs rep put her on hold to talk to a "manager".  Ten minutes later she returned to tell my wife they would give us a full refund.  They said it would take 3 days to receive our money and we actually had it the next day.

I have been told by friends that these "deals" end up not being worth it because once they get you in the resort they attempt to monopolize your time with "meetings" to get you to join.  We definetly learned our lesson and I stand by the title of this thread to beware of the vacation club soliciters.

dejamo Platinum

5-6 years ago we received these "special invitations" for the MVC at Grande Vista Orlando.  The first year we played along for the morning sales pitch,  had breakfast, wasted the morning and at the end,  the figures did not add up for me.  Anyway,  we had a 2 bedroom villa for 3 nights. $ 200 in Disney Dollars and 3 parkhopper passes, all for only a $99 up front fee.

The next 2 years in a row,  we received similar MVC mailings and took them up on their offers each time.  3 nites,  bonus points, Disney Dollars, etc...   However, at the start of the presentations in the morning, I explained to the sales robots that I had no intention of a purchase and was just there for the free goodies.

If memory serves me correctly, first year we were treated like lepers for a couple of hours and left pretty much alone,  like at  a car dealer when the salesman has to go "speak with the manager".  Given my goodies after about 2 hours and sent on our way.

The next year,  I told them the same thing, and we were given our goodies within an hour and kicked to the curb.

Of course I havent received any more invitations like those from MVC for at least 5 years now, probably because our names are on the "wont drink the koolaid" list.

fhllast4ever Platinum

As far as I know the Marriott time share resorts in Orlando do not have

a direct shuttle service to the theme parks.  However, you can take the roving Marriott shuttle bus from your timeshare spot to the adjacent hotel

and board the hotel shuttle to Disney. The hotel shuttle to Disney used to be free but today they may charge a fee (some hotels privatize this

service to non-marriott companies).

husaintinz Silver

I got a call from Marriott Vacation Club and they first explain all the benefits and later said I was below 30 so I could not take part :s !

peymanagement Platinum

Well I would say that was fortunate for you. By the way why are you commenting on a 4 year old string?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...