6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2011 5:19 PM by spurfan RSS

Golf at Desert Springs JW Marriott

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just called to make a couple of tee times for our upcoming stay.  Hotel website shows two courses, Palms and Valley, so was hoping to playing each one.  But...was informed by the tee time reservationist that the Palms course has been closed for months.  Hope this isn't an indicator of the rest of our stay.  I've already changed the dates from weekend to weekday based on reports of "drunken barf-fests" by co-eds from LA on the weekends.  Full report forthcoming after the trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Golf at Desert Springs JW Marriott
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

A much better course directly across Country Club Drive is the Desert Willow, which is a city owned course and cheaper this time of the year.  There are two 18 hole courses and each is kept beautifully. The JW is an enalarged par 3 course in my opinion and not that spectacular.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stainless Gold Platinum 8 Reviews

Don't go on Labor day weekend

The place was a madhouse

My wife and I cut our three night stay short and checked out the next day

Obnoxiuos LA college kids - we reserved a poolside view only to witness hundreds of drunks standing in the pool with drinks in hand listening to a DJ playing rap music - the pool area was trashed, fights and arrests being made in the main hotel lobby. Hotel security on walky-talkies patrol the lobby and hallways.It is a beautiful hotel but don't go that weekend.

SteppingStones - At over 6600 yds, that a heck of a enlarged par 3 course.  As for the other courses, maybe next time.  We're staying with a golf and spa rate this time.

Stainless - My wife read some reports on Trip Advisor and elsewhere about those kinds of incidents on the weekend, that's why we decided to give it a try (two nights) on Weds and Thurs nights).  But, thanks for the warning!

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Hey Husker

I second the motion from Stepping Stones - Desert Willow is an excellent course.  Trust you all are talking about summer stays, because all of the area courses shut down one at a time for seasonal maintenance beginning in Sept --- for scraping and rye grass (winter grass) over-seeding and replanting.

Thanks CountryJim -- We're definitely going before Sept.  We're using a golf and spa rate for 2 nights so I'm limited to playing at the JW course...Valley course.  I would love to be able to play some other courses, but unfortunately not this trip.  Calif has some fantastic courses all over the state, and especially down in your area.  Also, I've played every military course in the state, some of which are now closed (BRAC).  Great golf in Calif for sure dude!

spurfan Platinum

I couldn't disagree more.  Although Desert Willow has nice courses, they are loaded with sand traps - at least not fun for my game.  I agree it is a public course, but not sure it is owned by the city of Palm Desert.  I'd love to see your drives if you think the Marriott courses are enlarged par three courses.  The Palm course is currently closed as they are renovated a few holes, in particular the signature #17.

I would select the Marriott courses any day over Desert Willow.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...