2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2011 4:33 PM by anadyr RSS

Independence Day

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As we prepare for another July 4th I always flash back to the same July day in 1969 when, as a newly commissioned Infantry Second Lieutenant in the US Army, my father asked the local VFW if I could be the parade marshall, since an overseas combat assignment was in my immediate future.

I rode uncomfortably on the back seat of a red Mustang Convertible through the streets of our little borough hot in my summer polyester khakis.  I got some cheers and some jeers. The war was not a popular one at that point and I was but a pawn in a larger game of geopolitics.

I was not angry, bewildered, overly haughty, just being me, a tad embarassed that I'd been in the service less than 6 months and asked to represent everyone who was or had served.  I thought then as I do know that those who served do so in spite of it all. It is the service of those folks who gave so much that the others could stand and voice their opinions freely.

Happy Independence Day to all. I am a clown (no cpostume required) in our summer vacation town's parade this Monday, as I have been in years past.  It's a slice of Norman Rockwell's New England here and I am proud to be a part of it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
  • Thank you--Independence Day
    susierailroad1 Gold

Stepping Stone:

You had a great analysis of Marriott cheques and it has been deleted/blocked or whatever.  Is it possible for you to send me a link?  susierailroad@yahoo.com  Thanks for your help and for your service to the USA.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Independence Day
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Emailed to you

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...