6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2011 3:05 PM by iestrikesback RSS

Chicago - JW Marriott or Blackstone Renaissance

kimbdelray Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Blackstone seems like a very cool hotel. But I am not a lover of crowds and festivals. Will the taste of chicago interfere with ease of getting around? Will I enjoy the parks with all the vendor stands all over the place?

I like the classy historic hotels if up-to-date with good beds, showers and clean. But I enjoy nice dining, museums and great architecture. Is the Blackstone too remote? Or should I stay at JW Marriott.

I made reservations at both hotels. July 1 - 4th.

Thanks for your response and reasons why. Kim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA
  • Re: Chicago - JW Marriott or Blackstone Renaissance
    faith2 Platinum

I attend The Taste of Chicago and The Jazz Festival each year.

And there is no better hotel as it relates to location then the Blackstone.

There is no probelm acessing the hotel nor any hotels along Michigan Ave, due to any event held in festival Park.

The city of Chicago limits acess from Lake Shore Drwest bound on a few streets that run across the Festival Park but not many and the Festival do not interfer in Michigan ave traffic at all.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ottawagirl Platinum 8 Reviews

Haven't stayed at the JW in Chicago;however, stayed at the Blackstone. It was fantastic and I will be staying there again July 9th.

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

Seems to be a popular place. I'll be there on the 9th as well.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Can't help but agree that the Blackstone is the closest location to partake in Taste of Chicago in Grant Park.

That said, the JW is just 5 short blocks from Michigan Blvd and Grant Park (not long blocks if you know the layout of Chicago's street grid).  Moreover, the JW is actually the rehabbed Continental Illinois Bank and Trust (later Bank of America), an incredible property designed a century ago by reknown Chicago architect Daniel Burnham.  If you don't stay at the JW, at least do a walk-through.  The Marriott website has a quick oveview of the property's history but somehow does not discuss Burnham. 

Both hotel properties plus Grant Park and its Buckingham Fountain are historic Chicago architectural masterpieces.  All are also are highlighted in "Devil and the White City", Eric Larsen's best-selling story of Burnham and the Columbian Exposition of the late 1800's.  Check it out before you go. 

jahjay62 Platinum 1 Reviews

I am not familiar with the Blackstone but I stayed at the JW Marriott in March and it was a wonderful experience.  I would definitely recommend it. 

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

One thing to be wary about with the Blackstone:  I stayed there a couple of Christmas' ago, and they refused to give me breakfast when the Concierge Lounge was closed, mid-week between Xmas and New Year's.  I think I've seen other posts with others having similar problems there.  But, I agree with the other posters, it is a beautiful hotel, in a great location.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...