7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2011 12:52 PM by jasper100 RSS

Residence Inn By Marriott St Petersburg & Treasure Island

missctk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I'm travelling to this hotel in September with my family, trip advisor has some poor reviews, however most are great, has anyone stayed in this hotel - what's it like, is it in a good location?

Do the rooms have a washing machine for clothes?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
FL, USA
  • Re: Residence Inn By Marriott St Petersburg & Treasure Island
    superchief1 Platinum

Although this is a very nice hotel and a great location on the beach, this Residence Inn is notorious for not providing any Platinum benefits. The GM has stated that room upgrades will not be provided even if they are available. The cost to upgrade an award room from a studio to a 1 or 2 bedroom is also unreasonable. If I were planning to stay here using points, I would likely reserve a room for cash (AAA discount) and redeem points for $1000 Marriott checks to cover the cost. This is a better value than using points for a category 6 and then having to pay to upgrade to a typical RI room.

The beaches are beautiful in this area, and the full bedroom units look very nice. The pool is small and the elevators can be slow, but otherwise it is a nice property. I don't think there are any washer/dryers in rooms, but there should be pay machines available. Enjoy your stay. I hope the GM at this hotel changes his attitude toward loyal Marriott customers. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

missctk Platinum

Hi

I had a great time on holiday, the hotel staff are really helpful.

I didn't get an upgrade, I had booked at a holiday weekend and the hotel was full, but I did get a very nice room (rm 802).  The rooms are very clean, large and modern.  The cleaning staff were very nice.

It was my birthday while I was away and they left a cake & card in my room, lovely.

Breakfast is very nice, hot and a great choice, however we only went a few times as the kitchen in the hotel rooms are excellent and we opted to eat in the room.

I wouldn’t bother with the Managers evening, they charge a $1 for wine & $1 for lager, and it’s not that nice, pretty flat lager.  Food is not great either and the manager didn’t mingle with the guests.  We went once and didn’t go back – nothing like the Marriott in Portsmouth England where the managers evening is the highlight of my week while working away from home.

The lift is a bit of a pain, very slow, but nothing that could ruin such a perfect holiday.  The pool was not that busy, the furniture was just upgraded and again everything was very clean.

Only problem we had was the main reception floor was always wet, my dad slipped on the non-slip matt and when we came home he got an x-ray to discover he had torn the ligament muscles in his foot, he’s still not recovered.  So please be careful in this area – we did report it.

I'd recommended anyone to try this hotel, but please keep in mind the view from all rooms are not of the beach, especially the 2 & 3 bedrooms.

mike3m Gold

I just returned from this property and must say that I agree with the previous post. The pool is small. The gym/fitness center is really small. The beach is awesome. I reside in Florida. I must say that the quality of the beach is superb; white powdery delight. Miami, Hollywood, Ft Lauderdale, Marco Island are nothing in comparison. While I enjoyed being upgraded to a 3 bedroon suite, the absolute return was the beach. It is sort of what I consider a surrounding college atmospheric venue, it is what you make of it. It was a great beach and an enjoyable property for us. Good luck and enjoy. 

superchief1 Platinum

Mike3M,

Did you receive an upgrade? If so, what were you upgraded from and were you using MR points to book? If you were upgraded, this is encouraging.

It is interesting that this property is now a higher category than the Renaissance Vinnoy property which is a wonderful resort.

missctk Platinum

thanks for your response.  I'll let you know after the holiday how it all goes.

mike3m Gold

Yes, I received an upgrade to a 3 bedroom suite. It was a great upgrade from a studio that I booked. Enjoy your stay.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am confused..I thought someone said that the Marriott St Petersburg & Treasure Island did not give upgrades. Is this a change in policy by this hotel???

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...