6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2012 9:33 AM by anadyr RSS

Philadelphia Marriott CC-Petulance-Platinum Override-4getIt

jsnieri Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have never found a more petulant operator as the one that runs the Philadelphia Marriott in CC---and I think it's not even a franchisor, it is a Marriott Owned Property---so go figure.

I have been traveling on a weekly basis to Philadelphia--an awesome city---for the last 4 months.   I have attempted to stay at the Marriott in CC for more than a dozen times over this period, and in every ocassion I am told they are sold-out---and there are no Platinum overrides.   I have argued with the front staff, the Ops staff ,and the GM (Bill W.) and they all have this attitude that the Platinum Override Rules don't apply to them---"they're way special".   I understand that Special Events can override overrides---but the definition of "Special" mr W., is not "Everyday".  Either get off the "marriott system" or "stop pre-selling blocks of rooms" that cause your Chronic Disservice.

On one ocassion, I was able to book, and then as I had to modify my stay changing arrival from sunday to Monday---the Platinum desk handled--even called the location--and were told everything taken care of---when I fly in on Monday--and as I double check thru www---it shows to reservation for me.  I call the hotel.  The hotel says I have no reservation---they are sold out--no overrides (they like to say that I think--they are soooo special)---I call platinum desk they say yes I have a place---as I am concerned and upset-- I call the location and ask for the GM--- it's 9am and no answer so I leave a message explaining the situation---expecting a hospitable and accomodating response.--- the airplane doors close so I turn my cell off---when I land in PHL i open back up, to find a voicemail from Mr W.  In it he tells me they are "sold-out" and that I do not have a reservation, along with some other non-welcoming, non-hospitable verbiage.   I call his office.   I get his secretary.  I finally get him.  And he continues to "sold-out, no override" me.  I further explain and tell him the detailed notes I kept on who and when, even within his operations, who said what---and finally after much tribulation (you start wondering who is the customer here, or do they think they have an "immunity card" on some kind of talent show...) I am awarded a room---

I arrive at the hotel (around 10am) and a room is not available.   I ask for the ops manager, and then the GM, but "they are in meetings".  I then move over to the concierge--who was extremely nice and helpful and excusing the behavior experience to-date (and in a way sending signals to me that it was a chronic way of operating)---finally they "come out of meetings" and I ask again can I speak to the GM---but he is unavailable--so his proxy, the front desk manager, comes over and hands me a set of keys, at first non-chalantly, and after I explained to her the whole story, she is very apologetic (guess she only got "one version" of it)--she then asks for the keys back, and says here Mr Nieri--you will enjoy this room much better.  Which I did.  And which I found the concierge and her extremely nice and hospitable.

But when Petulance resides at the Top---it just tends to Trickle-Down way to easily---

Thank goodness I have been able to find a home at the Hyatt Bellevue a few blocks away---and other hotels---but this upcoming week I guess I will have to stay 20 miles away---and it just irks me that Marriott Corporate allows for this disservice and petulance to occur, and that the Managament at the location really believes that they are more Special than Special...

[Edited by: Host_SaraM]

• Re: Philadelphia Marriott CC-Petulance-Platinum Override-4getIt
    allleisure Platinum

With a confirmed reservation in hand, made at least 48 hours in advance, and being told you have no room, inform them that you assume you are being "walked out" and are invoking the ultimate guarantee expecting them to pay for your room at another hotel, monetary compensation and certificates for free nights per the Elite Terms and Conditions. Invoke your rights and I am sure they will find a room. If you wish, I am sure the Platinum line can explain the rules.  Just don't leave without a check in hand.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jsnieri Platinum

Thanks---They do not even acknowledge my right to book---and Marriott corporate doesnt even answer my direct emails---so i guess i am a persona-non-grata.

I really do not understand how they get away with it---maybe Marriott needs a new SHeriff in town---lol

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jjones77 Member

While I completely understand and appreciate the frustration and the more than inconvenience that you had to put up with at that hotel, if you called and they didn't have a reservation for you how can you expect them to have a room ready for you at 10am when most likely their check-OUT time is no earlier than 10 or 11am anyway? Marriott only warrants you a guaranteed late check-out, nothing about checking in - and that's only if you actually have a reservation as a Platinum guest. And if you did have a reservation according to the Platinum line, then whoever was handling your reservation would have called the hotel directly when you brought the issue to them. They would never have left you to fight that alone. What good are they if they don't actually help you when you need it, and why are you so lenient with them if they just brushed you off, but not lenient with the hotel who actually took care of things? Now if the Platinum line did not have a reservation for you either, then the issue really lies with the Platinum desk and whoever helped you change your reservation from Sunday to Monday. When you first realized they didn't have your reservation at the location, did they tell you what happened? If not, didn't you wonder? I highly doubt that with this much anger and frustration built up you didn't demand an answer as to why the reservation did not exist for you. If it was canceled, by whom? If it was a no-show from Sunday, who didn't change the date? If you had a detailed description of who you talked to and when, did they reprimand those employees at the Platinum desk? Or even question them? You are directing your frustrations at the wrong end of the business. If they are sold out and on their end at the location you have no reservation, what do you want them to do? Build you a room? Bump someone out who actually does have a reservation in their system?

I completely agree that this was a major screw up for you by Marriott, but before you go and bash the employees at any location, think about what you are asking of them. The guest is always right, but the guest cannot create an irrational issue based on not being the top priority of a GM of a large hotel (and by large I don't mean super important, I mean size). They are GM for a reason, and that's because they have more than guest related issues to deal with. I'm not saying the guest isn't a top priority, they are THE top priority. Which is why lower management positions, such as Operations Managers, Guest Service Managers and even Platinum Lines, are created. So that the guest doesn't have to wait on the GM to have a moment for them and they can get help as soon as it is available. The operations manager probably would give a bigger compensation anyway or better help because they know on a more personal level the inner workings of their hotel and the endurance the guests sometimes have to go through, especially with technical errors like this one. The GM works 9 to 5. All other managers work 12 hour shifts 5-6 days a week if not more. Who do you have a better chance of getting a hold of? Or sympathy with your hardship?

Their hospitality for you shows they are doing exactly their job. Apologizing for the issue no matter if it is their fault or not (which looks like it was that of the Platinum desk or yourself), apologizing for your inconvenience (which it has subsequently caused them one too-having to deal with the guest that you are now causing to be roomless), fixing it to their best ability at an excellent speed (which if it was in the AM, that's more than efficient because check-in was probably 3 or 4pm), all the while entertaining you with a bit of personality, patience, and empathy at the concierge. They made it right even though you had absolutely no proof or enough understanding of your own issue to realize they were treating you to more than your share of Platinum Elite rights. Seems to me that with a little bit of waiting so they could get it sorted out on their end, you got a better deal than you even realized or needed.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pretty easy to jump to your assumptions and conclusions, Jonesy.  I think if you actually read the post, you may have noticed that this platinum member had been trying to stay at this hotel for over 4 months. It appears as if this loyal member had numerous interactions with the hotel during these four months seeking understanding as to why they never had rooms available. I'm guessing here, because I, like you, don't have all the facts and don't want to hammer people unjustly. Do you honestly believe that the GM of this hotel was so busy that he never had one minute to address a loyal guests' concerns in four months? There may be an issue here of a GM that feels dealing with clients one on one is beneath him. That's why he has his minions, right? That is the attitude that brings big, old successful businesses down. When you can't find a minute or two to listen to your customers, you dry up and die.

Let's give this loyal guest some benefit of the doubt. They can stay where they choose. They attempted to give the Phila. Marriott four months of business. Somewhere around $20,000. Do you really think that if the hotel tried to work with this customer, they would have written their post?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Brotherly Love?

• Philadelphia Marriott CC-Petulance-Platinum Override-4getIt
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Sad experience--hope things improve there

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...