14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2013 1:46 AM by bluefairy RSS

Coronado Marriott in California

steffannieh Member
Currently Being Moderated

I've stayed at many Marriotts--from a Courtyard in Lincolnshire, Illinois, to Marriott in London, and I have never stayed at one that is so unfriendly, unaccomodating, and which does not perform as promissed.

The website said that each night, there would be turn down service.  I have stayed for a week, and there has never been turn down service.

The day before we left to come, I called to make sure my requests were noted, and I also asked if this hotel had a similar policy as the Grand Californian Hotel and Spa in DisneyLand, regarding room upgrade, if hotel was not booked and rooms were available.  When I checked in, the person at the desk was rude, telling me that I was only paying $199 a night, so what else could I want?  She said this aloud, and embarrased me.  I always thought the $199 was a deal Marriott offered that was attached to my Rewards account, not a handout.  Also, she was so ignorant, that she could not even spell beige correctly for the color of my car for the car parking permit; she spelled it as p/bage.

Finally, and here's the big one, the first night, when I was in bed, I could smell gas/exhaust fumes in the sheets (which were supposed to be the great Marriott sheets, but were not).  The next day, as we were leaving the parking garqage with the car, I found out why.  They store the towels and bed linens in the parking garage!  They have cornered off several places in the parking garage with chain link fences that have brown slats to prevent people from seeing into them.  But, we saw men loading sheets from that area in the garage, and when asked, they told us that they deliver the sheets from there to the maids closets at each level.  No wonder I was smelling gas fumes!

This has not been a good Mariott experience; I could have gotten the same service and quality at a Best Western.  The quote of this hotel on the key is:  'Walk in like you own the place.' I don't keep my linens in the garage.  Yuck.

I didn't know you could attach pictures, so I'll go take some now of the linen storage in the garage and post later.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Coronado, California, USA
  • Re: Coronado Marriott in California
    boomer Platinum

Is this the Coronado Island Resort in San Diego that you are referring to?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

steffannieh Member

Yes.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Steffannieh

Hi Steffannie, thank you for posting!  Too bad your stay at Coronado turned out to be disappointing.  You may or may not be aware that there is another thread active right now discussing recent negative (and positive) posts.  If I may ask, what was your purpose in posting?  Was/Is it your hope that someone at Marriott corporate would be monitoring this site and reach out to you?  Or, were you simply posting to tell your story to anyone reading the post?  The reason I ask, is that you seem to have a genuine complaint and should be sure to reach out to marriott with your displeasure.  Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to send your post.  that said, I do not believe that, once this thread has burned out, that anyone will ever see your post again.  I'm not sure, but if in a few weeks I pull up this hotel, I do not believe I will be directed to your posting.  Does anyone know if that statement is true?

safe travels

steffannieh Member 4 Reviews

shoemann1,

My motive for posting was to let others know what they would really be getting when they spent good money at a hotel that, because of the level of the hotel--the tier, and because of the Marriott Resort and Spa reputation, customers believed that they would be getting a high quality stay. 

Yes, it is all true; but, I believe that the manager, and the culture he has established amongst hotel employees, is one of secrecy and lies--just keeping up an image, rather than an earnest desire to uphold Marriott quality, and maintain or improve on the company's image.

Corporate Marriott should have a check in place that requires its hotels to 'prove' quality, like spot overnight stays from corporate vice presidents without the hotels really knowing who they are--as if the spot checkers are regular guests.

Other than this hotel, my stays with Marriott have been top-notch.  It's just a shame that the possibilities of this gem will never be fulfilled.  The hotel is the only Marriott on the island, and since it's an island, there is no room to build another.

peace. 

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Oh wow.  I sure hope there have been some improvements since this post.  We are scheduled to stay at this hotel in a few weeks.  Now I am wondering if we shouldn't just stay at the Marquis.  We were planning on splitting our time between the two properties.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Interesting!  I stayed there last year and was very pleased.  I was upgraded to a bungalo without asking because of my platinum status.  It was a resort so I had to buy breakfast but it was good.  They recommended a resturant for dinner and upon their making the reservation, I was really given VIP seating with a special menu with my name on it and a free desert; I took the hot chocolate desert that was made to order for me.  I was able to walk there so didn't have to worry about parking.  The weather was great and the area was enjoyable.  I will go back sometime.  I expect that someone reading these will wonder if we stayed at the same resort.  I would!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

In a situation like this I would definately go through with my plans, but have a plan B.  Hopefully steffanieh's experience is a one-off, or they have fixed the problem.  If not, and the manager and/or platinum line can not fix it for you on the spot, I am a firm believer in not ruining my trip, so I just go someplace that will live up to my expectations.  Had this happen in Tampa.  Manager was a real jerk.  Tried to make it my fault, was argumentive and confrontational. When he asked me just what I wanted, after thinking about it, I realized there was nothing he could give me that would change how I was currently feeling so I told him absolutely nothing, I am leaving.  I  already had my plan b mapped out.  He wanted to know my plan and arrange it for me, but I politely turned him down as I didn't want him spoiling the other apples, made my own arrangements and left. The property I went to was exactly what I was expecting, and I felt so much better the minute I walked through the door and they checked me into a lovely waterfront balcony.

Good idea to have a backup plan.  The above shows that even if a person has a bad experience another might have a good one and vv.  One might blame management but I think that we both were there around the same time.

Actually after looking back on it, I am almost glad it happened.  Initially I was undecided between the two properties.  One was practically the other more luxurious.  I went with the practical, and when it didn't work out, it was a great opportunity to indulge myself with good justification.

The problem is that there is no other place on Coronado.  One might go to the San Diego Marriott Marina Hotel which is nice but not a resort.  I stayed there several times and it is nice.  The last time, I was up in a tower and had an earthquake in early morning when most were in bed.  The tower was really swaying and I was not on a Disney ride.  Had to exit the building, I did take the time to through some clothes on but meet a man while outside who said if he were not dressed already he would have run down the stairs stark n.....  When they eventually let us back in, there was no hot food because the quake damaged gas lines.  They set up carts with coffee and pastries.  I had to walk out a distance to find hot food and the SD area has its share of homeless.  Not a good experience!  The hotel did nothing for us, I guess because it was a natural disaster.  I remember this when I think about going back.

I have stayed at the Marina property, Old Town Properties, Gaslamp Quarter and La Jolla pre/post cruise and for work, and enjoyed them all.  Lots of nice restaurants close by and shops.  We even went over to Coronado to enjoy jazz at the hotel, as it was before the hotel was part of Marriott.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Well, the Marriott Coronado was definitely an old and weary property.  A bit of cleaning would go a long way to making it more palatable.  It was in a nice quiet area but definitely fell short of the mark.

The Marriott Marquis, on the other hand, was far more resort-ish and pretty spectacular really.  Far better off spending your money on the Marquis than the Coronado.  Especially with the Marquis having a Concierge Lounge and the Coronado not even providing a bottle of water. 

Glad we didn't have an earthquake, Californian.  I definitely didn't need to read that. 

I am glad that you didn't have an earthquake either.  It is funny when you have something like this happen, it sticks.  It is a nice hotel and I have always been treated well and the location is good.  I may have to think about returning.

bluefairy Platinum 2 Reviews

Sorry for such an experience!  I have to say I really enjoyed my stay though I felt a little exposed from the waterside, as there are several ungated stairways.  The buffet was $24 (take of $10 credit) so $14.  My Coronado Omelet was the best I ever had: basically huevos rancheros but in omelet with cojita, grilled jalapenos and onions and delicious pepper sausage.  Sitting there overlooking the pool, I felt like a king and made it last. I long for the next time... I split my time between the Marquis when sightseeing in San Diego the first coupla days then the Marriott Coronado when I just want to let the world go by and maybe just go to the beach.  The traffic depending on time of day is just not worth the hassle of going on / off island by car consider a water taxi/shuttle to down town instead.  Enjoy!

Message was edited by: bluefairy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...