7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2012 3:37 PM by gk17 RSS

Upgrading Chase VISA

ccaggie Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I have had the Marriott Rewards Chase VISA for over 5 years. I would like to change to the premier card because it clearly offers better incentives versus the standard card. However, I cannot seem to get a straight answer from Chase/Marriott Rewards whether I will be eligible because I am already a cardholder. Do I cancel my current card and reapply?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Upgrading Chase VISA
    versel Alumni Steward Platinum

ccaggie,

See this post:

http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread/6178

There seems to be mixed experiences. Some people were able to switch and others had to get a new card and cancel the old one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

taxman415 Platinum

If you credit is good then you can get the card... I did the same thing several years... Good Luck...

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I think it does come down to your credit score.  When I changed, I simply called and they did it over the phone and sent me the new card. In any case, it's worth doing because you get substantially more Marriott and travel points than the regular card.

ProfChiara

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

If you didn't get an "invitation" from Chase to upgrade your card, apply for the "better" card.

Call the customer service number on the back of your current card.  Maybe it can be done with the exising account over the phone.

I would not close the old one.  Just don't use it as your regular card. (Keep it for emergencies.)  Closing credit cards puts a "ding" on your credit score-lowering the score.

powergirl Platinum 2 Reviews

I just upgraded to the platinum card last week. Current Marriott Reward cardholders will not have their credit report pulled. Chase will automatically upgrade you to a platinum card if you ask.  

nuclearrich Platinum 1 Reviews

I upgraded 3 or so years ago. I got a different answer evertime I called Chase so I cancelled the card and re-applied. I received all of the bonuses doing it that way. If I remember 30K points, free round of golf, 1 hotel night free and then you get 15 nights every year to start your account off toward elite status. Good luck

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

If they can give you the signup bonus for "upgrading" the card, then go that route. Otherwise, I say apply for the new card to get the maximum signup bonus of 70K points for the Premier credit card. Once you get the new card, I would cancel the old one. Whether it affects your credit score dramatically will depend on your total credit lines open and the limit on the current card. If it's just a small percentage, you probably won't be affected much.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...