Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2011 11:48 PM by zukracer RSS

Show of Hands

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

How many of you on Insiders would like to see a Platinum and Platinum Premier Only portion to this website?  I would but am not sure it appeals to the group or to those who might be excluded.

Show of hands please, and thanks.

Thanks for all those replies and I guess this will have to wait for an alternate universe (as in Bobby'Ewing's reappreance in "Dallas.")

-- Edited by SteppingStones at Jun 24, 2011 6:27 AM PDT

• Re: Show of Hands
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

while I understand that my travel schedule allows me the honor of Platinum Elite, I do not care to exclude gold members or general Marriott members from most of the threads. Many subjects are just as realevent to the casual traveler as they are to the road warriors. I do feel that some conversations carry much more weight with the "heavy travelers", but I am not sure how to filter those but not all.  That's my opinion.  I would leave it alone.  Amost feels lika an elitest idea......

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

StePpingStones, any particular reason or advantage to this idea? Or maybe I'm missing the point.  Thinking back to previous discussions on Insiders, i can just imagine hands going up all over the place, some with several fingers missing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Two-zip at the moment is the score against my idea. My idea was to generate a distinct place for P and PPs to ruminate.  Alternatively I guess Gold could be in the mix as well.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Sorry, SteppingStones, but I make it three zip.  I think Gold members (and others) can make valuable contributions and when a site becomes too elite it may lose its relevance.  Plat and PP can always communicate among themselves, but I think we'd lose a whole lot of different opinions, reactions, travel stories, etc. if we made it that exclusive.

ProfChiara

vx1100 Platinum 3 Reviews

Make it 4 zip.

My travel varies.  Over the years I have been Silver, Gold and am currently Platinum but, actually expect to drop this year as I am not traveling that much.  I'm not about exclusion which is what this would amount to.

I could get used to something in the Platinum Forum this year and drop to Pauper level next year and then I'd be left out.  If social media really meant that much to me I'd be crushed.

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

It's looking like a sweep. I don't like the idea of excluding anyone either. Especially with the light amount of traffic this site gets. I think any contribution should be welcome.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

I too, could not go for this one.

There is just too many others that really need and appreciate the help that "Seasoned" Platinum members can provide for them.

It seems like most of the postings are Platinum members as is.

There needs to be a lot more "Rewards", people on the web-site.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Sorry, Steppingstones... add me to the 'Ney' column.

curiousone Platinum

Another No

taxman415 Platinum

Not interested...

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Stepping Stones I think your suggestion amounts to elitism...bring to the Insiders  the huddled masses great ideas come from various experiences.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Also count me as a "no".  We're all elite members, and it's good to see everyone's perspective.   

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

SS,

I don't like to see you facing up to a "whitewash"

Without making a meal of the topic, it would help me if you could (very briefly) outline how or why a "Plat only" site, or window, might help this site (as it currently is) to meet its stated objectives.

Thanks

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi SteppingStones - I must join those who disagree with the idea. I agree with those who indicated that all travelers have ideas worth considering. While there are times that some posts make me think that your idea may have merit, overall, I disagree with the elite nature of the idea. I may be Platinum, but I don't feel any different from a Silver or Gold. (After all, if my travel decreases, I may be back "down" with them, and then I'd miss all of your great, thought-provoking posts!)

nhtraveler

Arkwright

This was my "new Coke" marketing approach to the site and apparently has the same resounding success among the cognoscenti. I was not advocating the end of Insiders in attempting to segregate out Plaitnums but speculating that an area where Platinums might congregate would have some merit.  Others levels might benefit fromn our wisdom and experience (or just find it pretentious)

As you know we already have tailored Marriott Rewrds for this level as you know, and Platinum Premiers have another set of things to enjoy.

Elitism is in the eye of the beholder since most of us old Platinumites often feel slighted if the front desk does not recognize our loyalty accomplishment and have posted to that effect.

So, unless and until there is one other lonely Insider (besides my significant other) who sees this idea as a valuable one to consider, I guess I'll have to put it alongside my Edsels and Tuckers as a worthy idea ahead of it's time. (but scorned)

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I like the idea of different specialized groups, but not necessarily one that is exclusive of any member. For example: Business Travelers, Leisure Travelers, Parents, Retirees, International, etc. You could potentially join a group that is of interest to you and receive a daily/weekly digest of discussions in that group.

But at the current level of Insiders participation, I don't think it's a good idea to segment at all. Maybe if the number of users grows somewhat.

SS and Versel,

Thanks for your latest posts. One result of reading them was a clear sense (on my part) of how little I know of the backdrop to the creation and updating of the Insider website - e.g. the "number of participants" consideration.

Though there is already a degree of differentiation within the site - that is,  as between different forums - I often feel that what is lacking is an accumulation of knowledge or awareness within each of these categories. The clearest symtpom of this is the extent of similar or identical questions that are repeatedly asked. Of course, the fault here can often be laid at the door of the "asker" - in many cases, it would seem that a little research of previous posts would have delivered the required answer  - but I'm not sure than segmentation by elite level would deliver this result.

And herein seems to lie an important challenge for the Insiders staff. How can you enable or encourage participants to make more effective use of what should be an accumulating database? If this is not achievable, then I suspect the impact of the site will remain limited in terms of numbers, impact and, I fear, longevity

Thank you

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

I also can't support the idea of 'segmenting' the site area for a Plat's only gather spot.

Arkwright:

Good idea to weed out the same questions being asked again and again by getting the Insiders team to get people to use the data by requesting a search, but, two issues I see that make it unlikely at this writing; first, people generally find it easier to ask the question and wait for the response (the why should I search when I can ask an audience and get what I want without having to do the work) and the second problem is that when one searches this site, the responses to the search can be mind-boggling (meaning, the responses have nothing to do with the search query). This has been brought to Marriott's attention and was supposed to be addressed in the re-make of the site we have yet to see.

Cheers TEF, I am learning all the time.

kahunapremier Platinum

I can't read this board fast enough and by adding another layer will just make another checklist to "do". Don't have the time as is, so my answer is No.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

SS, I see value in having an area for plat or plat prem. members to discuss things that are relevant to them, special promotions or interest groups or similar.  I'm not sure segmenting it from the general population would accomplish much unless it was something that only a plat or plat prem member would have access to, like a special perk or something.

I think the problem is that we kinda have that already across the entire site.  Most of the active posters are plat or plat prem. members with a smaller group of gold, silver and standard members participating.  If/when the membership here gets larger and more involved on the site, having a special area to discuss level specific issues/items/promos would make more sense.  Limiting its access would require a good bit of work to the site/accounts as all plat and plat prem. members show up as plat.

Also I dont see it as elitism as someone suggested if those areas were limited to plat/plat prem members.  If done correctly the topics in those types of areas would not be relevant for members that had not achieved that level of status.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...