3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 7:55 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Santorini, Greece

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I'm  back from an amazing trip and short cruise to the Greek isles of Mykonos, Santorini, Patmos and Crete. And if anyone is thinking of going and wondering about the strikes on June 15, they were advertised well in advance, which is why I left on June 14.  You'll encounter occasional small strikes, but nothing near the Ledra or on the islands.

I loved the cruise, and would like to do one that is less site intensive and longer so I could sleep. I actually didn't get off at Mykonos, which has little of historical interest for me, because I preferred sleep! Anyway, I need to catch up with other work, so I'll only post one a day. Here are some photos from the beautiful island of Santorini, formed by a volcano in antiquity.  It was part of the Bronze Age Minoan civilization on Crete (more in the next few days), which was destroyed by volcanic eruptions and earthquakes around 1500 BC.  The first photo is the caldera, or "cauldron" which is essentially the inside of the volcano. The most recent eruption of a volcano in the area was in 1956, and much of the island had to be rebuilt, which led to the famous white houses and churches with blue roofs.

The other photos are of Oia Village on the top of the island.  It was very beautiful, but for sunsets (which are famous), you need to go later in the summer.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Greece
  • Re: Santorini, Greece
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Hi Professor,

Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures.  We will add this destination to our bucket list.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Razorback,

I probably wouldn't have gone to Santorini except it was part of the whirlwind (and pretty cheap) cruise.  Knossos and Patmos were my main destinations, but I have to admit that while I wouldn't need to spend more than a day on Santorini at any point it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.  While going to Oia Village seemed obvious (and I'm glad because of the photos), I might in afterthought have taken the volcano cruise which was the other optional excursion.

Anyway, this has been the greatest year of my life in terms of travel, and I'm looking forward to bringing it back to my students.

Cheers, ProfChiara

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Beautiful pictures, Professor!  Looking forward to more, as always!!! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...