7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2011 2:21 PM by mikiegfla RSS

Keyed up?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Another step is being taken to eliminate hotel keys as something you need to check in with.  This article speaks about the use of Smart Phones and RFID devices to eliminate those forever being misplaced or demagnetized rectangles of plastic we call keys.

Whether this increases or decreases entry security remains to be seen but it seems to be coming down ther road (or hallway as it were).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Keyed up?
    sharkfin Platinum 1 Reviews

Anything has to be better than the security currently deployed at hotels.  Last week, I stayed at the O’Hare Marriott and my room did not even lock!  So, anyone could have entered my room w/o a key card.  When I complained to the manager, he came upstairs and had a novel solution – wedge a chair between the door and bathroom wall (I can’t make this stuff up – I have a picture on FB of the “Marriott Chair Security” and am getting some pretty interesting comments).  Apparently, safety & security is not a huge concern anymore.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

No, but re-invented Lobby's are   Marriott needs to get their priorities straight!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Time to get with the new program for sure.  Keys are so 20th century!!!!

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

Sharkfin, At least it looks like you'd be comfortable as you stand sentry by the door all night. 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

With the ability to hack cell phones, I'll keep my plastic magstrip key, thank you. I like the 20th century technology in this respect!

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I'd like a 4-5 digit create your own passcode type system where there's a 0-9 keypad on the door. They could just have you punch in whatever you want at check in or for those who reserve under a Marriott profile, even have your preference saved. For those properties where there always seems to be a long line at check in, I'd love to be able to look on my profile (or receive an email) to see what room I've been assigned and go directly there to punch in my code.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Not so long ago I went to open the door to my room at a Courtyard only for the display to show an error code by alternating LED's.

I proceeded down to the front desk and the manager accompanied me back to the room and couldn't get the door unlocked either. The system was telling him that the dead-bolt was engaged when in fact I was the only one staying in the room.

Two hours and a locksmith later, I was back in my room. Although the dead-bolt was not engaged, the system sensed it was and the entire lock assembly had to be removed and installed to get me back into the room.

In three decades of travel this was the first time something like this happened to me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...