7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2011 2:55 PM by kahunapremier RSS

Recycling hotel soap to save lives

versel Alumni Steward Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I found this article to be an interesting read:

Recycling hotel soap to save lives (CNN)

I've always thought it was incredibly wasteful but wasn't sure there was a viable alternative. Glad to see someone is doing something about it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
  • Re: Recycling hotel soap to save lives
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

For a long time Operation Yellow Ribbon has found a use for the unused amenities as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rufrt12 Platinum

I just read about the recycling of hotel soap while I was watching CNN on 6/19.  Many times I've wondered throughout the hundreds of nights I've spent at Marriotts about what happens to all that left over soap.  Its great that someone found the idea of recycling this soap.  I think that the guy who got profiled on CNN and who recycles soap has been nominated as a "CNN Hero" and he definitelly has my vote for the ingenuity of his concept.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Since I get new soaps every day, I will "recycle" my original supply of soap/shampoo/conditioner (I put it in my luggage so it's not tossed) to use the rest of my stay and collect the weeks' new supllies. After 200 nights a year average, by the end of the year, I have collected a half-dozen shoe boxes that I donate to the local safe house for abused women and children. They love the donations and I have a teeny-tiny bar of soap to toss by weeks' end.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pingreeman

great idea.  we should all do so....

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree with all of you about the soap.  Fortunately, at most Marriotts, even for a week stay, I don't need to open the new soaps they place there every day.  (Good heavens, even at home it takes a long time despite my many baths :) [in case you missed it check the search option] to go through a bar of soap!) So I often take one home to use it here or on a trip to a non-Marriott hotel, but leave the rest unopened.

Happy Fourth, New and Old Insiders (and everyone in between),

ProfChiara

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

And here's yet anoter article about hotel toiletries. Seems some hotels are doing away with the mini bottles altogether.

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/post/2011/08/boutique-hotels-deniro-sls-viceroy-supersize-shampoo-reduce-plastic/416096/1

kahunapremier Platinum

I talk all the soap, shampoo and conditioner I can get. I use them at my home and for my kids, have a 2 year supply and it doesn't go to waste like it would at hotels. So I really am recycling

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...