11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2011 12:23 AM by versel RSS

A Blackout by any other name is still a Blackout

tigerusa Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

If a hotel has rooms available for all room types for $$ and it doesn't have them available for rewards redemption at any value, then that's is any reasonable person's definition a Blackout.

If after accumulating hundreds of thousands of points to then try to find a hotel to redeem and to find that there are no points redemptions available, while still having plenty of rooms available at regular rates, THAT IS A BLACKOUT. Sorry Marriott.

I'm just very disappointed with this change in recent years.

Rewards Program Definition:

What does it mean to have “No Blackout Dates”?

Hotels have standard rooms available for redemptions every day. Blackout dates traditionally refer to a limited number of dates on which a hotel could choose not to accept redemptions. With our new “No Blackout Dates” policy, hotels will no longer have blackout dates for redemptions. Hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A Blackout by any other name is still a Blackout
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

So true--this policy has so many astericks that it is not fair!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

what is amazing is the almost non-existent asteriks in the Starwood policy.

Or IHG's

curiousone Platinum

One way around it is to use Marriott Checques. They see you as a "cash" customer, but you end-up paying with points.

srs333 Platinum

I couldn't agree more TigerUSA.  I just tried to book a hotel for a couple of nights in Boston and I ended up having to stay out at the airport with points.  There were several in-town hotels I was interested in; but they where only available for $$, not points.

CuriousOne

I don't think I understand your thinking on this.  Are you suggesting that, if you purchase Marriott Cheques with points, then use the cheques, it's a wash?  It would seem that you would almost always do better in the transaction by using points rather than $$$ bought by points.  Am I missing something?

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

The "value" of the checques really depend on the room rate and category of the hotel. Another nice bonus of the checques is that you are basically using points but also earning points/nights since they are treated as cash.

Someone did a nice write up of the strategy here:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/2011/01/27/marriott-elites-tip-real-value-of-1000-marriott-cheques/

This would be a moot point if there truly were no blackout dates! Maybe in the next rebirth of Marriott Rewards (whenever that is) we'll see a move to ending this practice?

curiousone Platinum

Shoeman

I am in a situation where I earn more points than I can really use at this time (4 weeks of Marriott time shares). As a result I do not yet do a careful analysis of how I use them. (One thing I will not do with them is buy merchandise.) While I can not prove it, I do feel that I tend to get better rooms and upgrades as a "cash" customer vs. points. A very big deal to me is the ability to earn a nights credit for my stay. For this reason I am a proponent of cheques vs. points.

Curiousone

thanks for the explanation!

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

Back to the original point, I have no problem with a program having restrictions on reward stays (obviously fewer restrictions is better). However, if there are times when it is impossible to get a reward stay, it shouldn't be billed as no blackouts. Even with an asterisk...