7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2012 11:56 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown not the Marriott feel I expect!

steelersfan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As someone that books conference rooms at well over 100 Marriotts worldwide a year and someone who stays between 100-150 nights a year in a Marriott I can say that I have come to not only love and look forward to my stays at Marriotts but I have a general expection of what to expect when checking into a Marriott I have never been too before.

I am teaching a training in Atlanta and reserved conference space at the Courtyard Marriott Midtown where I have been provided great support with the conference room.  I myself chose to stay at a different Marriott hotel near the Courtyard but was looking for a nicer hotel with better amedities.

From the online review the two "5" star hotels in the area were the Marriott Marquies and Renaisance Atlanta Midtown.  I was sold on the Renaisance based soly on the pictures of the rooms and the description of the hotel:

"Welcome to a world of modern sophistication in the epicenter of Atlanta's music and artistic scene at the Renaissance® Atlanta Midtown Hotel. Discover a sense of arrival as you mingle with friends or co-workers in our inviting Atlanta luxury hotel lobby.."

When arriving at the hotel for my week long stay I was immediatly confused by the name outside because there was no mention of Marriott but I have known the Renassiances I have stayed at prior to not advertise the Marriott affliation.  I was greated by the vallet who was extremley nice and when I asked if this was the Marriott Renassiance he stated "Yes we get that alot people confused if we are Marriott or not.." To me advertising that its a Marriott property should be a major marketing point but I am sure there is a reason for this.

Checking in at the front desk there was no signs or organization of where to stand so I stood behind off to the side of the 4 people checking in that were infront of me.  When it was my turn I provided my name and credit card and the only response I recieved was "Do you want your 200 points?" I said yes just the points.  Afterwhich he said here are your keys eleveators are to the left. As someone who has been platinum for many years now I was never treated as less of a rewards member then checking in this time.

When arriving in the room I noticed the layout of the room was new and very open.  The interactive guide on the TV was a nice surprise but guide was very slow and hard to navigate around.   No where in the room was there a hotel guide or a list of ammendities.  I noticed there was a mini bar but it was locked.

I decided to go to the front desk to get a key and find out where the gym was.  When I went back to the desk the person seemed surprised I didn't get a mini bar key when checking in and provided me a key and said the gym was on the 5th floor. Once again not exactly friendly or extra accomadating which I have come to expect from a Marriott.

The next day I decided to ask the front desk if their was a conceirege lounge or any specials for platinum guests.  The front desk said "Sir if you were a Platinum member you would have recieved that information at check in" I did not apperciate the tone or comment but as someone who is 30 years old I am used to someone not expecting that I would have the platinmum status.  After she pulled up my account she acknowledge I was platinum and informed me that I should have got a buisness card that stated the elite member rewards: 10% hotel restaraunt, Breakfast for 2 mon-Fri, $10 off mini bar and Complimntary internet.  I recieved my card and she appolagized for me not getitng it at check in.   Also something little but also to note I recieved a basic room key not a "Platinum" room key.  Not a big deal to me but stacked ontop of the other experience something else that wasn't common in my Marriott experience.  I also found out on my 3rd day at the hotel that they had free wine samples from 4-6pm daily another thing that I was not informed about at check in nor could I find any information about in my room.

As someone who love the marriott brand and requires all of my employees to stay at marriotts and I only book marriotts for my conference space I was very disappointed with everything about this new Renassiance Marriott Hotel.

The front desk staff seemed not trained to provide extra enthusiam and thankfulness that I was a platinum rewards member nor did they seem to go out of their way to be helpful like almost every Marriott I have been too has.

Overall the location of the hotel is great for walking to dinner and catching the Marta and the vallet staff was extremely friendly helpful and quick to get your car. Unfortunatly no marriott branding, no recogonistion and enthusiasm for elite guests and no real information about the hotel has made me regret not staying at the Courtyard where I know what to expect.

I am sure my last two days at the hotel will go by fine but I don't believe I will be staying at this hotel or Renaissance brand hotels in the future which is a shame because I like the Renaissance Pittsburgh Downtown.

• Re: Renaissance Atlanta Midtown not the Marriott feel I expect!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Steelers,

The Ren. Pittsburgh is a very special place.  It is too bad that you had to experience this in Atlanta.  There is no excuse for this treatment.

Better luck with your next trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

It saddens me that you were not treated properly, ATLANTA is my home town and we from the South take kind and proper treatment as a given and are offended when it is not provided.  The Marriott Mar. downtown is big but super!  Give it a try next time or the JW Marriott at Lenox...Bill

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I stayed in downtown Atlanta last month and another hotel I do not recommend is the Marriott downtown.

Quite frankly, I don't recommend Atlanta downtown period, but if I ever have to go there again(which I hope I don't) I will stay at the Marquis.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Based on previous experience (car broken into in marriott hotel parking lot, video at hotel supposedly not working, no interest by staff of the breakin, ...) I no longer will stay at any Marriott hotel with the word Midtown in it in Atlanta.  A hoodie guy continually hanging around the parking lot when it got dark, made me wonder if he was in cahoots with staff!

nycuws10025 Platinum

Hi SteelersFan,

Thanks for your review of the Atlanta Renaissance.  I agree that as an LPE, I wouldn't appreciate the treatment you have described in this post either.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it looks like you might still be in the hotel today (SAT 18JUN).   My suggestion would be to call At Your Service and ask to speak to the General Manager, or (since it's Saturday and he/she may not be there today) the Manager on Duty.  Don't let the Associate who answers the call handle your situation; make sure you are talking to the GM or the MOD so the feedback gets where you want it to be.

Make an appointment to take HIM/HER for coffee and share your experiences just as you did here. 

I'll bet that once you're done, you won't pay for the coffee (the MOD will pick up that tab!) and appropriate recompense will be made for your having missed the wine tastings and other benefits to which you're entitles as a PE.

Additionally, the hotel trainer will be advised of the shortcomings you experienced so it can be addressed with the staff so we will ALL be spared this kind of situation in the future.

Feedback to those of us at Insiders is great, but in my opinion, feedback to the man or woman who can fix your experience is even better.

Thanks again for your post.

iztok Platinum

I stayed several times at Ren Midtown in 2011 and my experience is quite opposite of the OP. I was always informed about these items and it is one of my top ATL properties (Marriott NW is my "home away from home").

Location Brand Hotel
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...