9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 5:56 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Flag Day

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

June 14th is flag day in the USA.  Hope all Insiders can take time to reflect on the meaning of that symbol and what it means to all Americans.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Kennedy Space Center, Florida, USA
  • Re: Flag Day
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Thanks for the words!

I spent Flag Day at Kennedy Space Center, and had a wonderful experience (Again) at the FF in Titusville, FL.

A memorable Flag Day.  I just wish we would keep the KSC program going!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Jerry, I might be the only one who doesn't know (or maybe I do know and just don't recall) but what is the KSC Program?  Thanks.

NU,

KSC, stands for Kennedy Space Center.

After the next, and last shuttle launch KSC will be "Privatized" and basically shut down.  It is a huge economic problem for the area and will put many out of work.

Again, I could say only great things about the local FF in Titusville, Fl! Very clean, and well located at the intersection of I-95 and Hwy 50!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry, I was fortunte enough some years ago to have a private tour at KSC and we actually went to the top of the gantry and entered the STS Discovery, which was then on the launch pad awaiting another mission.  This was during the "woodpecker" period and we had to lsiten to random blasts from air horns up there to shoo them away from the foam they loved to peck in.

We still have some "Little Rocks" from the road way that the Creepy Crawler moved along ever so slowly--in fact our guide almost missed a head-on when he reached down to get the rocks!  At four miles per hour it is easy to move out of the way, and he did.

It was a memorable day for me and my family.

"KSC, stands for Kennedy Space Center."

Ok, thanks, Jerry.  I guess I've always referred to the whole area/purpose/mission and so on as Cape Canaveral.  I'm sure there'll be some economic impact with job layoffs, etc, but a lot of other communities have endured similar circumstances with military base closures and many are better off today than before.  Hopefully, that part of Florida will bounce back too.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Husker

I agree.  The government has treated our space mission  policy with no more than a passing interest in recent memory and quite possibly a private company or consortium of private interests will ramp up our interests once again.  In the short run, it's just another revenue absorbing government program that we cannot afford.  That said, my hope is that privatization will help bring the program back.

Shoeman,

I could not agree with you more!

Having been at 39 shuttle launches, I can only tell you they are/were wonderful.

I hope the space program comes back and people can enjoy the FF in Titusville, the CY and RI in Cocoa Beach, and the Melbourne properties like I have.

Here are the pictures from "Flag Day"!  You will note the flag with Kennedy Space Center behind the Indian River.  Likewise, you will note the Max Brewer Causeway to KSC, (He was the Father to my Brothers wife). These photo's are from "Memorial Park", located on the Indian River in Titusville, Fl.

Jerry, WOW, 39 launches! That's terrific!  I can seee how the space program can have special meaning for you.   My wife, children, and I watched from my aunt's house on the beach at Cocoa Beach about 10 years ago and it was a real treat and one we'll never forget.

NU,

Thank-you for the comment.

There are some great places to enjoy at Cocoa Beach, (I was on the Board of the Chamber of Commerce), try Rusty's Raw Bar at Port Canaveral.

Likewise, if you saw the movie, with John Goodman, "Matinee", you will enjoy Cafe Margaux, in old Cocoa Village, is a great place to dine.

Here is a picture of Cafe Margaux's, sister rest. Ulysses', the only "Prime Steakhouse, in the Kennedy Space Center area.  Note, the food looks good.  You will also see a picture of one of my favorite FF's, Titusville, FL.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...