18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2011 12:56 AM by jerrycoin RSS

No Platinum Arrival Gift

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just got my base and 50% bonus points posted for a recent stay at MCO Marriott.  No platinum arrival points posted, but not surprised.  Wasn't welcomed to the hotel nor acknowledged as a platinum member nor asked what my choice of arrival gift was.  I intentionally didn't say anything to the desk clerk since I don't think I ought to have to do that persons job for them.  So what now?  Report my problem to customer care?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Orlando, Florida, USA
  • Re: No Platinum Arrival Gift
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I would call the Platinum Premier desk for two reasons: to fix this mistake and to make sure that Orlando understands the mistake and will not repeat it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree with SS. I will ALWAYS let the clerk know if he/she does not acknowledge my status and offer an arrival gift. I take the opportunity to "educate" the clerk on the difference between P and PP.

My goal in doing so is to assure the next P or PP checking in gets the recognition he/she deserves and the perks associated with the status. If all P & PP members were to do this (politely, of course), we would do a service for all elite members.

I called customer support at 8003217396.  I explained the problem to the rep who essentially minimized my complaint implying it wasn't a big deal.  He supposedly posted the 500 points, but said if I wanted to complain I'd have to speak with customer care.  With no apology for my trouble, he put me on hold and connected me (eventually) with a rep at customer care.  I explained the problem to her and she seemed confused as to why I was reporting the problem to customer care.  So I explained it again while she took notes.  Her solution was to send the complaint to the hotel for resolution and said they'd get back to me in 3-5 days.  I told her I believed I was entitled to $100 per the T&C. She said, "that's not how I read it" but didn't want me to give her a reference of where I was reading it.  I also told her that neither Errol or her had offered an apology for Marriott messing up my account, She did apologize but only after being prompted.  So sincere!  So I'll be curious to see what the hotel has to say about it, but I sense that if they follow suit with the two other reps, not a lot is going to come out of this complaint.  Definitely not oozing with confidence in Marriott right now!

By the way...I'm not Platinum premier, so maybe that's why they didn't just solve the problem on the spot by complying with the T&C.

And, I'm not going to educate the front desk clerk on how to do their jobs, anymore than I'd expect them to do so for me.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Bravo Husker!  It is definately not your place to "educate" the front desk.  That sort of sounds like the all to infamous " Teachable moment" philosophy making the rounds.  Let everyone be responsible for their own actions, nothing more, nothing less.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

You HAVE to report it to the hotel BEFORE YOU LEAVE to qualify for the $100.  Furthermore, most of them would rather lose their right arm than be put down as someone that had to pay out.

Yeh, you're probably right, Techie.  There's bound to be a technicality to cover for incompetence.

"Let everyone be responsible for their own actions, nothing more, nothing less."

Accountability and personal responsibility apparently are not part of the Marriott value system.

Update:  got an email from FD Mgr apologizing and letting me know that a $100 gift card is being mailed to my home.  Once I get it, the party's on me!

You do it your way and I'll do it mine.  But you'll find that I don't take advice or instructions from people I don't know.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Got my $100 marriott gift card in the mail today!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Good to see you ended up getting a good result!!!!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Yea, one for the good guys!  Glad you got it.  The T & C's are pretty specific that you are supposed to be offered that upon arrival, not after the fact as a make-up.  And the compensation is pretty black and white.  I can't see why customer service even argued that it wasn't stated that way.

kahunapremier Platinum

Party on NUHusker!!! 100.00 should go very little for this crowd

• wait, wait, wait a minute here ...
    alessandro Platinum

you get $100 if they don't recognize you as a platinum when you check in?

i'm platinum premier, had no idea.

color me clueless.

ouch.

(hope i posted correctly here. my inaugural post )

• Re: wait, wait, wait a minute here ...
      tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Welcome alessandro,

Yes, you posted just fine.  I hope you'll find a lot of good information and discussions here.  We'll look forward to your inputs as well!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Welcome to Insider's..I look forward to your participation on this site....As a Platinum Premiere, I am sure you have a lot to offer here.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jasper is so right,  I will offer the same support he does.  He knows what he is doing, and entertains us to no end!