0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2011 7:25 PM by anadyr RSS

WDSSD*

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

*What did Stepping Stones do? (in the wake of a recent, low, and incorrect bill for a two night Marriott stay?)

After writing that last post yesterday and while I was still at the hotel, I ran into the hotel's GM at the front desk and mentioned the discrepancy to her.

She checked and apologized, saying that the bill I got was incorrect and that in fact it should have reflected one night's Chase Visa annual Category 1-5 award (at no charge to me) and one night's room and tax tariff.

She then printed off a correct bill showing the one night and tax charges.  All fixed.

By way of explanation she mentioned the various steps that accompany tally of any bill:  posting the first entry and credit card information; continuing posting of any charges to the account (phone charges, parking, etc.); and then a reconciliation on the morning of the person's checkout.  At that point the bill (folio) is printed and placed under the door).

As Insiders have noted the best advice is to check on a bill's accuracy whether it is too high or too low. As one respondent said so well, put yourself in the place of the other person who is making the bill.

I would remind all of the words of a famous Justice of the US Supreme Court, Learned Hand, which also is applicable to hotel charges:

"Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes."

• Helvering v. Gregory, 69 F.2d 809, 810-11 (2d Cir. 1934).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...