10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2011 11:38 AM by nycuws10025 RSS

WWSSD?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A question on everyone's mind I am sure today, June 10th 2011.

Here's the situation, which I am in the middle of:

1. Staying for two nights at a Marriott property, category 5, using my Chase Visa award for one night and paying for another ($329.00 USD per night--special event prices). Hotel is fully booked. I am paying for my stay, it's not being billed to a client.
  2. Bill comes this am under the door and they have mistakenly added the second night as a points stay (perhaps with Chase rewards or as a Marriott Rewards stay), leaving less than a 15 dollar incidental balance.

So, now the WWSSD* question:

If this happened to you, would you:

1. Assume that Marriott is a large corporation that can absorb the loss easily and not mention the mistake?
  2. Ask at checkin if there is an error on the bill and correct it?

*Other Insiders can weigh in before I mention "What would Stepping Stones Do?"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: WWSSD?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm not sure.  A twist on the same question might be :what would  my local Marriott do if I booked a room at a promo rate, but inadverently got charged the full rack rate?  If I did not catch the error, would they send me a refund on their own???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

The first thing Versel would do is check his MR account to see if they deducted 25,000 points for the second night. If so, I'd probably just let it slide (unless I was trying to bank points for a vacation) but keep and eye on my credit card to make sure someone didn't realize their mistake and end up charging both the room fee and not correcting the points balance.

agreed

taxman415 Platinum

I also agree...

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

why don't you just go to the front desk and get it squared away before you leave the hotel?

perfect.  most often, the simplest answer is the best one.

thanks

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

I am far from being a religious person, but the biblical saying

- Do unto others as you would have others do unto you -

would seem to have some merit in the type of situation SS envisages.

Have a good week-end

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Whenever there is a discrepancy, it is always best to get it straightened out with the front desk or the managment.

The important thing is to be 100% fair, I think.

I've had things that weren't quite right, and I always would go and get them straightened out.

crcran Gold 7 Reviews

I would verify at the desk that the bill is in fact correct.  You may be pleasantly surprised to find you have yet another reward sitting on your account that was allowed to be used.  This has happened to us in the past.

nycuws10025 Platinum

I had the exactly same thing happen at the Melbourne (Australia) Marriott and I DID go to the Front Desk to try to straighten it out and was assured that no, both nights were award stays.

I argued that it wasn't possible, there had been no additional deductions from my account.  I brought my laptop to the front desk and showed them the emailed confirmation which clearly showed one night was a Cat 1-5 certificate and one night was a paid reservation.  They were positive that everything was taken care of correctly.  So I dropped the issue.  I did what I knew was the right thing and Marriott wasn't concerned, so why should I be, right?

Well five months later, the Melbourne Marriott popped a surprise charge on my credit card, not for the discounted rate which I had been confirmed but for the full rack rate of the upgraded room they had put me in!

After a long and tortured series of email exchanges which took a month, I at least got the rate reduced to the confirmed rate AND, since the exchange rate between the Australian and US Dollars had changed in their favor, I also got a credit for the difference between the amount I would have paid in USD if the charge had been billed in a timely manner.

Then, to rub salt in the wound, they refused to process the night's credit and MR points to my account for the (finally) paid night.  Why?  Because I was on a REWARD STAY!   While the error is understandable, the follow up was deplorable and, after two stays a year for seven or eight years in a row at the Melbourne Marriott, I now stay at either the Westin, the Hyatt or the Hilton when I'm in town.

So get it fixed before you leave the hotel and if you are told what I was told, "get it in writing" that you definitely don't owe any money for the second night despite your thoughts that you do.  Before any sane person will put something like that in writing, you can be sure they'll check things out.

The key takeaway from your situation and mine is that it's probably better to never book a reward stay and a paid stay in the same reservation.  Marriott's computers obviously can't handle it.  Always book the two separately and avoid the headaches!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...