10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2011 9:18 AM by rinny54 RSS

Washington DC 4th of July

allijeee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All!

Im headed to Washington DC for Fourth of July weekend.  Anyone have any special "must sees" for me?  We are staying at the new Fairfield Inn (gotta use those Megabonus free nights) on H Street.  Anyone have any experience with that hotel?

THANKS!!!

Alli

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA
  • Re: Washington DC 4th of July
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I've never stayed at the FFI on H st., but it 's not in a terribly bad location.  You're not too far from Clydes, where you can get what quite possibly has the best Rueben sandwich in DC, and also near Capitol Q, for some decent texas style BBQ.  You're close to national archives and the national art gallery, as well as chinatown.  Not too far from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial.  And venture out to the mall and beyond to pay tribute to those who served, and gave all, at WWII, Vietnam, Korea, war memorials and of course visit the arlington national cemetary.  You didn't say if this was your first visit to DC, but if so you are about to experience one of the world's greatest cities.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

allijeee,

Have not stayed at the FF, but you are in a good area.  One place I would recommend would be The top of the Hotel Washington.  What a view!

Likewise, the historic Occidental Grill, which is close by, is so special. If you get to Ford's Theatre, take in Chinatown, and have a meal, you will never forget it!

Good luck, everyone will tell you about all of their favorites and you will be in for a great time.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I lived in DC for 20 years and loved going to the National Mall on the 4th for the fireworks.  Another great place to watch from is Crystal City, just across the Potomac River.  Great views without craning your neck as much.

Another historic place is the Occidental Hotel near the White House--very elegant and totally restored.

If there is an Evening Parade at the US Marine HQ (8th and I streets) and you can get in, it is a great thing to watch.

Anything the Smithsonian offers is worthwhile and almost always free.

Visit the memorials on the open space near the Lincoln Memorial--moving and very much appropriate for the location between there and the Washington monument.

We love Jaleo, a Spanish Tapas restaurant behind the National Theater, near Chinatown.

Having been involved in its inception and design, I am fond of the Spy Museum as well.

Good luck and have a great visit

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have not stayed @ this hotel either. But as others have said before me, this is a great place to be on the 4th of July!  One restaurant you should try is ris on L & 23rd.  It is wonderful!  Have fun!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We try to go to D.C. at least once a year to visit our favorite sites and we always visit someplace new.  On our most recent trip in October, we thoroughly enjoyed the Newseum.  We spent 2 days there!  We also rented a car and went to Annapolis.  We did not know about the huge boat show on the day we went, so we'll have to do that trip again on a calm week-end.

We did enjoy the parade on the 4th of July.  I think I remember that it started at noon.  We also enjoyed going to the dress rehearsal for the Capitol Fourth show.  Take something to sit on and a picnic.  We also DVR'ed the real show and watched it when we got home.  We've viewed the fireworks from the area near the Marine Memorial and also from the Thomas Jefferson Memorial.  There is also a big festival set up on the Mall during this time, but I don't recall the name of it.

Check the schedules for the military band concerts.  There is a band playing someplace just about every evening.

txnroses Platinum

I just returned from a trip to that hotel.  It is recently remodeled (March 2011).  It used to be a Red Roof Inn.  The rooms are nice and the staff at the front desk was pleasant.

BEWARE......... they did block off a lot of credit on my credit card.  Not a debit card...... but credit card.  They held up as PENDING CHARGES THREE times the amount of my total bill for over six days.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This sounds like a violation of the terms and conditions on Marriott and on your CC issuer. I'd check with the Bank or issuer and get this straightened out.

janerg Platinum

Nice hotel.  Within walking distance to may sites.  Recommend visiting the International Spy Museum.  Kids and adults loved it.  Go when it opens,  It gets busy.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jane,

I have walked by the Spy Museum, but never been.  This really sounds like a good place to go.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

How did your trip turn out?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...