3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2011 9:13 PM by janerg RSS

Baltimore Eating - Mama's on the half shell

kirkland34 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I had many people recommend restaurants to me while visiting Baltimore. They were ALL average. After striking out on my own I found 'Mama's on the half shell'. This place is the best food I had my whole trip. I was stuck in Baltimore for three months. Trust me, I got around. It is in Canton. Try the pie place accross the street if you have room when you are done with dinner. You will know the place.

Try the beer mussles. Doesn't sound like much but they are one of the best things on the menu. Also, the fish and chips are sick. It's a like a whole freaking fried fish.

Mac and cheese is their best side order. Bread pudding the best dessert. Both are worth a try.

They have crab too, but stay away from it. Not that's its bad but it's only average, as was most of the crab I had in Baltimore.

Now the best part. IT'S NOT EXPENSIVE. It is so freakin reasonable. You can get the mussles, a beer, and even a dessert for around $20. Cool bar scene too. GET RESERVATIONS. This place can have a wait.

• Re: Baltimore Eating - Mama's on the half shell
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Kirkland,

I haven't been to Baltimore since I was a kid growing up in suburban Philly, but I know how great the crab is.  Some of the restaurants in that area are the best in the world, and the city (from what I've heard) has undergone a huge renaissance).  Thanks for the recommendations!

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Whoops, sorry - I re-read and gathered you didn't have great crab.  It's probably like living in Maine.  We have great lobsters and shrimp but they all get shipped to the restaurants in Boston and while we don't have to pay a lot for either, they are not of the same quality you get in Boston. I expect Baltimore has the same problem, caught between Philly and DC.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

janerg Platinum

Thanks for the recommendation.  Always looking for a place to eat.  Did you try The Helmand?  Great Afghan food.  We go to Baltimore several times a year and stay at the Residence Inn Inner Harbour.  Only hotel I ever stayed at that requires you to use your room key to get the elevator to stop at your floor.  But never had any problem with safety.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...