6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2011 12:20 PM by missgee RSS

Marriotts in Memphis - Reviews on Trip Advisor Scary

missgee Silver 40 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor on the Memphis Marriott East and the Memphis Marriott Downtown, I am concerned about which one to stay at.  Does anyone have any recent information to share?  From what I can determine, Memphis East is old and rundown, and in an "iffy" part of town.  On the other hand, Memphis Downtown reports that the rooms and dinnerware/crockery are filthy.  I'm seriously considering using another brand but am wondering if I really have cause for concern.

Thanks very much for any comments or opinions you can give me.

• Re: Marriotts in Memphis - Reviews on Trip Advisor Scary
    miyagi Platinum 5 Reviews

I work in Memphis and agree with your assessment that it can be a bit scary there - especially at night. I have never been to city where virtually every store and shopping center has security patrolling around the clock.

I usually stay at the Courtyard Memphis East/Park Avenue.  The area is relatively safe.  The hotel does have security patrolling the parking lot at night as they had a rash of car windows broken last year.  There is a brand new shopping center with a nice selection of restaurants near a Target and Best Buy.  The two things that I dislike most about the hotel are the old, worn-out mattresses and the proximity of the railroad tracks.  The railroad track noise can be mitigated by ensuring you are on the south side of the hotel.

I am not sure what your standards are or what you are looking for in a hotel but you will like the location, safety, and the staff is extremely friendly at this location.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mempa-courtyard-memphis-east-park-avenue/

Best of Luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

MissGee,

You will want to enjoy Memphis by picking your spots carefully.

Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ilmtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Just stayed at the Memphis Marriott Downtown.  Glasses were not washed, went to the Concierge room to get clean glasses.

Bread chips were on the carpet, a vacuum would help.

Broken glass found in the bathroom on the floor.

I reserved two rooms. In the second room, they gave me a room that smelled of smoke. Really! No one checked the room before in was released to a customer?

My letter is being drafted as we speak.

ilmtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree.  However, my following comment isn't something that Marriott or any other brand can change.

The panhandling in Memphis is horrendous. You can’t go one block without being bothered. I can’t imagine that town with less police presence. The Memphis Police are everywhere and thanks for that!

My only future plans for Memphis would be for changing flights in the airport.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

I've stayed at about a half-dozen Marriotts in Memphis, and have to say none have been particularly good experiences (especially the staff member who tried to get into our room when she thought we were away).  You might try the Germantown area, which isn't very far away, but has a much lower crime rate.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Thank you so much for all your replies.  We ended up staying at the Airport Marriott and, to the best of my recollection, here are my observations:

• It is, indeed, in an "iffy" area.  I went for a walk to the shops on the main road and had the distinct impression I was putting myself in harm's way.  There are no sidewalks around the hotel itself.  That should have been my second clue.  The first clue should have been the iron fence surrounding the property.
    • The hotel was obviously built during the smoking era as the smell was everywhere.  Even though it's a non-smoking hotel, you can certainly smell the remnants of when it wasn't.
    • The front desk staff were awesome.
    • The bar and restaurant staff were awesome.
    • The 2nd shift Concierge Lounge lady was passive aggressive;  just falling short of abusive.  The 1st shift staff was lovely.
    • Even though the Concierge Lounge has a dedicated desk with internet access for the patrons, the staff have taken it over and get very upset when you try to use it.  That's if you can even get to it.  Most of the time they are sitting there and using it as their base.  I've never seen anything like it.

I did have comments about the room itself, however I have been to so many hotels in the last two months that I may confuse them all.  I'll post back when I've got them clear in my mind again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...