4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2011 1:31 PM by anadyr RSS

Grapes of Wrath: Monterey County

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
John Steinbeck grew up here, as most of you know.

Monterey CA Weather Statistics for 1-10 June
  • The Average Daily Precipitation is 0.00 with a historical range of 0.00 to 0.19
  • There is a 6% chance of a Precipitation Day.
    (17 days out of 295 in historical record)
  • Most consecutive days found in historic record: 3

So, it is raining here in Monterey today and it will rain again most likely tomorrow. The problem is that the berries on the grapevines that produce wine grapes are in the pollination stage right now and very susceptible to rain, which may wash them off the vines.

According to the Wine Institute, Monterey County is home to 39,300 acres of wine grapes and home to some 75 wineries and growers. San Bernabe, the world's largest contiguous vineyard at over 8,700 acres, is here. Monterey and smaller, neighboring San Benito county, account for 8.4% of the total wine crush in the state.

So, we hope the rains do not wash out the 2011 vintages of Chardonnay and Merlot varietals

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Monterey, California, USA
  • Re: Grapes of Wrath: Monterey County
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

I sure hope that rain will recede!

God willing, I have plans to enjoy some of that great Monterey wine.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jerry, most of the stuff for sale now is two to three years old (grape years) so this is warning for 2014 or 2015 at the latest.  Here's hoping that the worst does not happen, since I have several vintner friends and this is always a chancy agricultural crop business.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Again, i sure hope it is a great season!

I love John Steinbeck, and I think about my "Summer Camp" at Fr. Ord.  I was a Chaplains Asst. and had most of the time off.  I enjoyed going to The Hog's Breath Inn and meeting C. E. and just relaxing there.  It was tragic that a great talent John D. died in the bay.  He was a great guy and I saw him perform at KSC the night OJ went on the "Wild car ride", that was shortly before he died.

I will always enjoy The Sardine Factory in Monterey, and will always love the "Red Pony"!

Jerry, thanks for those reminsices. Bert Cutino who co-owns the Sardine Factory is a great guy and very generous as well. Some years back I had the privilege of attending the culinary school that he founded here at the Community College (it was my wife's idea for me to have a hobby, of course)

We've got a thing for Steinbeck around here as you can imagine and I would recommend that anyone heading to neighboring Salinas stop in and see the National Steinbeck Center there.

His words about our little Peninsula ring true today as when he penned them in Tortilla Flat:

"They walked side by side along the dark beach toward Monterey, where the lights hung, necklace above necklace against the hill. The sand dunes crouched along the back of the beach like tired hounds, resting: and the waves gently practiced at striking, and hissed a little. The night was cold and aloof, and its warm life was withdrawn, so that it was full of bitter warnings to man that he is alone in the world, and alone among his fellows; that he has no comfort owing him from anywhere."

On the brighter side, we have a temporary respite from the rain today as shown below and little droplets of moisture hanging on the Agapanthus

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...