1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 4, 2011 5:06 PM by anadyr RSS

Barcelona Catalunya

miramax2011 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

There are two kinds of Tapas.  Basque type tapas and the Catalunian type tapas.

Basque tapas are those like petit fours with toothpicks.

Catalunian Barcelona tapas are little dishes RACIO's they call them.  If you don't have this, you are missing a lot and misguided in the tem tapas.

The best in Barcelona is Cal Pep in the Barrio Espana (Old Barcelona).  Chef Pepe is a delightful chef.  VIP's may reserve three months ahead and will be led to a small room where the best tapas can be ordered.  For walkins there is a tapa bar and people line up waiting for the next empty seats.  The wait can be from one hour to who knows!  But I guarantee you once seated it is worth the wait!

You order and drink Catalunian wine, and satisfy your culinary taste with tapas.  If you know someone local, it helps.  Catalan is spoken, not Spanish.

• Re: Barcelona Catalunya
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

I love Barcelona!!!!  On our honeymoon we spent the better part of a week there exploring the town and surroundings.  My first tapas experience was there (though frequent visits to Jaleo, (see the famous John Singer Sargent painting named the same below)  a chain of three restaurants in Washington DC, confirmed my first impression that they are wonderfully flavorful small plates to savor.  The local Sherry was fabulous and incredibly inexpensive.

I loved hearing Catalan spoken though it was a foreign tongue for me, even with a modicum of Spanish in my background and formal education.

Mostly I loved to stroll along Las Ramblas and enjoy Spain in all its glory.  Thanks for rekindling those memories of long ago!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...