7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 10:16 PM by nuhusker RSS

Fees not so simple

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Airlines have made over 21 billion dollars just in on add-on fees according to this article

Sure hope that hotels aren't reading this and thinking too hard that it could work for them as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Fees not so simple
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm not too sure the airlines would think it has "worked for them".  In spite of the fees, almost all the airlines are still losing $$$.  I see it more as a different approach on retail pricing as opposed to gouging.  But that just my opinion.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Well said Shoeman, and let's recall that any offset to fuel charges is welcomed by the airlines.

Moreover, airlines are a commodity that we absolutely need (when we need it) and within reason, cannot refuse to pay the going rate charged for that service.  Hotels are not quite at that level of need yet for most of us.

Well, we shall see--and continue to pay.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman, they may well still be losing $$$, but according to the article, at least, they would've lost an addtional 21.4B without the fees.  Or maybe they wouldn't have lost it at all.  I suppose they could have just raised their fares for all of us, instead of just charging the fees to those (like me) who take golf clubs everywhere they fly.

Husker

safe travels this weekend.  Airline travel has become not much more than mass transit in the air.  The added fees they charge are surely annoying, but we do need them to keep flying.  I, for one, would rather keep them solvent than allow another govt takeover.  It's a catch22 for sure.  It's my opinion that every one of them are using a broken business model and until they figure it all out, we will continue to see them attempting to raise revenues any way they can.  sucks.

thanks, shoeman.  So much truth in your post.  And even at gas prices tantamount to highway robbery, I'm still driving to Florida this weekend rather than fly.  I'm surprised the NY congressman hasn't blamed the TSA for capturing his "image" and posting it on twitter.  I'm not really paranoid, I just don't trust anybody.

Husker

A good friend once told me "just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get you".  I don't trust anyone either.

travel safe

"just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get you"

That's what I meant to say.  I was too busy looking behind me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...