17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2012 4:13 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Zurich Marriott, a Winner!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Spending seven nights in Zurich, with day trips to St. Moritz and Zermatt this is the place to stay.  Walking to the train station and enjoying the shopping in Zurich, you can't go wrong.

The CL is a bit crowded, but the cost savings is great.  You can expect to spend at least 3 times whatever the cost in the central US for just about anything in CH.  So when you have a 24/7 CL enjoy it!  The staff was wonderful and Ken Mertingk, the most professionalfront desk manager helped me find a king room with a bathtub.

If you like great food, close by is Mesa, one of the finest places to dine in the country.  Likewise, within 20 minutes is Rico's, and it is a very special place as well. Other places great for dinner at Sonnenburg (Great view of the city), and Kronenhall, they were special. For lunch I enjoyed Burger KIng at the train station at $4 per hamburger, ($1 here in St. Louis), but it was hot and good).

Here are a few pictures, and they did treat me as a Platinum guest!

#1 The view from the room

#2 The Matterhorn in Zermatt

#3 Train from St. Moritz to Zurich

#4 shopping in Zurich

Enjoy Switzerland, it is very clean and very special!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich, Switzerland Courtyard By Marriott
Zurich, Switzerland Marriott Hotels & Resorts
Zurich, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels
Zurich-Glattpark, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
  • Re: Zurich Marriott, a Winner!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Did you buy a Rolex while there?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Stepping,

No way!  I have bought two second had Rolexes in my life, but if you won the lottery, buy one in Switzerland!

Stepping, it is ironic that I took some pictures of a Zermatt Rolex store.  Did not go in, nor buy anything, but it was beautiful to see.  Likewise, here are some photo's of the Matterhorn and a village on the way to Zermatt.

No Rolex this trip!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Grear photos nonetheless, thanks for sharing.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Great info, Jerry!  Thanks so very much.  I'm saving it for my vacation.

Love your pictures!  Please post more if you have a chance.

You're a better person than I to take that photo from the train... yikes!!!  

New Hilton,

Thanks for you comments.  I appreciate your opinion.

Here are a few more photo's and I had luck with photo's from the train.  I have driven the route but it is fun to just ride the train.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Jerry and others,

Thanks for your assessment of the Zurich Marriott. I agree completely. One small point, though, about this hotel, and others in this part of Europe (approximately): from about mid-June until end August, many Middle Eastern families tend to take up residence in order, as the joke goes, for the husband to seek medical treatment and the wife to indulge in retail therapy. The result can be that facilities, particularly the Concierge/Exec Lounges get quite congested. (This is solely a function of numbers, the effect would be the same irrespective of the origin of the visitors.)

Thanks

Ark,

This is why I do "Carry-out" at all CL I can.  Nothing is better that to have a small table in my room to relax and enjoy my CL food there.

The CL featured "High chairs" and they were well used in Zurich.  It reminded me of a cruise ship where people spent the day eating.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Jerry,

I agree with all your observations - and chuckled too!

Best

Arkwright,

CL lounges are going the way airlines have gone.  Once flying was very special, even more so, if you were a ff.  Now it seems that there is a "Dumb down", to a lot of previous perks.

I find that most CL's are "Stress tests", and I seem to "Flunk", every time!  I just do not believe all of the people, especially kids in "High chairs", belong in a CL.  I love kids, and as a former expert on kids, "Till I had one!), there must be something I am missing.

Arkwright, I carry a tray in my suitcase, so I can get what I want and go back to my room, lock the door, and enjoy a moment with my meal in silence.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Location Brand Hotel
    Zurich, Switzerland Courtyard By Marriott
    Zurich, Switzerland Marriott Hotels & Resorts
    Zurich, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels
    Zurich-Glattpark, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels

GP,

Thanks for finding this, after Jaspers experience, I did not think this still existed!

This will help theolejudge and others!

JC,

Great travel minds think alike!

Have asked CM if there is someway to merge all our Zurich info, or link it.  I was able to locate it by doing a search in the destination folder, but not certain if there is other info buried in other threads.

Thought it might be nice to get all our collective experiences and knowledges for a location in one place to help others planning trips to destinations.

GP,

Yes, it would be great to have a "Zurich" sight similar to London.  Likewise, there really should be one for every major Marriott Property City!

JC,

Agreed.  Have asked NathalieF if there might be some technology we could take advantage of to consolidate all the travel information and pictures we have by destination.  I have seen so much good travel advice from jerrycoinchrisfcalifornianlone6stararkwrighttryt53pluto77klaus29   profchiaranewhiltonmembr painedplatinumtryt53shoeman1000 jasper100, as well as many others, it would be great if we could organize it by continent, country, city and property, and then have a clickable map to access it.  We all need to make a concerted effort to tag our pieces with the correct properties, or when replyiing to others with great travel info in their threads, to add the tags to our posts if they have not.

Whenever we have a destination discussion, I will try to search the archives to see what else is out there, and by replying to it, reactivate, and tag.

If I have left anyone off, apologies, as its late, and I am brain dead after hurricane sandy, so please add names in.so we can get everyone's help.

I am wondering if we should branch this to a separate discussion on how best to pool our collective travel experiences so we can retrieve by property and/or location?

jasper100

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Gem,

I am really in favor of this idea, and would love to help more when I get back.  We are down to our last couple of days in Mexico and then will be heading back home.  I will do a huge write up of the CasaMagna Marriott here if Puerto Vallarta, but don't want to lose any time while we are still here.

tryt,

Enjoy CasaMagna!

I spent a week there many years ago and just loved the place.  Lovely pool and beach, attentive staff.  Love Puerto Vallarta.  Sometimes we went into town to eat, other times we stayed at the hotel and tried the regional food in the restauratn.  Do they still have that?  Each dish on the menu was from a different Mexican state.  Also, lots of Mexicans vacationing there as well, which I took to be a good sign that the property was frequented by local tourists.

One of our favorite restaurants was the historical, "Red Cabbage" which was a favorite Bohemian Artist hangout frequent by Frida Khalo and Diego Rivera (link below).  Food was good, and memorbilia interesting.

http://www.redcabbagepv.com/

http://www.redcabbagepv.com/id10.html

Location Brand Hotel
        Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa

GP,

Yes, that is a wonderful Idea!

Am going to get a "Zurich Dining" post started!

Will also progress to other cities, and concentrate on various price ranges near Marriott Properties!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...