37 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2011 1:24 PM by dejamo RSS

Bathtub?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A recent article in USA Today said Marriott, and others, are going to minimize bathtubs in their rooms.

The business ladies and others I know are not happy with Marriott indicating that 75% of their rooms will not have bathtubs.

This could be a problem.  We'll see.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Zurich, Switzerland
  • Re: Bathtub?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Honestly?  I cannot remember the last time our home bathtub got used. In addition, I do not like stepping into the tub to take a shower.  I would welcome the tub removal and a tiled shower.  Let's do a survey by gender and see how it falls out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Shoeman,

Yes, I agree with you on who takes a bath, but I know a lot of people that are not going to give up there tubs.

Many ladies, who now are major customers of Marriott, are not going to take showers and ruin their hair or just wan to relax after a very busy day are not going to settle for showers.

We had to change rooms and take a lesser room to get a tub in Zurich.

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Actually, if the showers have multiple heads, like the ones in the new JW in Indy, I'm am SO on board with that! I usually don't have time to soak in a bath on a business trip and share a room with my hubby and two sons on leisure, so the tub goes to waste.  I relax by sipping my arrival gift wine--but I am just a sample size of one.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

For several years after the 1989 (Lome Prieta--World Series) earthquake out here we were ready at a moment's notice to fill our tub with cold water that we might eventually drink, but after that it is just an appliance in our guest bathroom that seldom gets used.

And the local water company keeps raising the rates (because we are conserving so much) and we need to watch that flow.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

While I enjoy a bathtub for an occasional soak at home, I'm not going to sit butt naked in some hotel tub where I don't know how well it was cleaned.  I wear flip flops in hotel room showers so I don't get athelete's foot.

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

Soaking in an unfamiliar bathtub gives me the creeps, too. Seems strange since I'll hop in the pool or hot tub without even thinking about it. Although now that I think about it, I do always shower afterwards.

On a related note, I stayed this past weekend at the JW in Grand Rapids, MI. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower with the dual head mentioned previously. It was pretty nice.

I agree with everyone!

This is a personal issue, I am not a "Bathtub" person either!  If I had to worry if the bathtubs were clean at Marriott's, I wouldn't stay at them.

If Marriott just keeps 25% of their rooms with bathtubs, I should be able to get one when I need it!  Will have my profile updated on that request.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I would no longer stay at a Marriott (I say that unequivocally) if they did away with bathtubs.  I can't remember the last time I took a shower -- and there is nothing more wonderful than a nice bath at the end of a busy or grueling day while traveling (especially with wine and a kindle).

ProfChiara

PS -- There was a good article in a travel magazine a few years back which I've heeded ever since, because as mentioned I ALWAYS take baths.  As soon as you get to your room the first day, put the shower on hot and let it drench the bathtub for about 10 minutes.

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

NewHilton:

Well said!  I don't do bathtubs and wear flipflops to shower even at Marriotts....Bill

p.s However, I hope Marriott keeps them for ProfChira I so enjoy her reports on her stays!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

IMO it's about saving construction costs. According to a website www.improvenet.com, the difference in cost of doing a shower-only versus a shower/tub standard home remodel is about $300-$400. The savings are probably even greater for a commercial property such as a hotel.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Tubs scrubbing is apparently part of the cleaning process and the EcoLab stuff they use is a gloves only thing (Lemon Lift is the name I think).

Given human nature I am sure that the tubs get occasional scrubbing only and not always to the degree that we'd do them at home.  Look under the soap dish for a revelation if you're unsure.

I tried to change my "Profile", to include bathtub, but it was not an option.

Maybe it should be, with so many fewer bathtubs available?

Here at the Zurich Marriott, Ken, the front desk manager said they only had four rooms (This is a large hotel) with a bathtub and king bed.  It took a wait of over three hours to finally get into one on Sunday morning.

sirray Platinum

Many Courtyards outside of the US are already shower only. Honestly, I don't remember when I took a bath last. I'd gladly go to a room with only a shower for not havin to touch a gross slimy platic shower curtain.

Sir Ray,

Stop staying at Motel 5's!

Just kidding, I have not had slimy curtains at any Marriott.

I just want a lot of water pressure when I get in the shower.  I am so tired of water just dribbling out of the socket.

Shoeman speaks the truth. I can't stand low flow.

VERSEL

I ALWAYS SPEAK THE TRUTH.  OK, I DO STRETCH IT FROM TIME-TO-TIME.....

VERSEL

I ALWAYS SPEAK THE TRUTH.  OK, I DO STRETCH IT FROM TIME-TO-TIME.....

Almost all travel studies have shown that the germiest part of every hotel room is the remote control for the television.  I want my bathtubs or I will go elsewhere...

Actually I do check out the fixtures and while the only US Marriott I have stayed in during the past year was in Boston (and fine except for other issues).  But in Europe, I've generally found the bathrooms to be quite clean.

ProfChiara

butterfly8 Silver 3 Reviews

in Stamford ct marriott spa, some rooms have tubs, some have the oversized walk in showers. love, love, love the showers. much safer than the tubs, easier to move around, get cleaned. much more luxurious!

Hi all

Besides the fact that I love baths as a form of relaxation, I suffer from serious arthritis all over as well as Raynaud's syndrome (which makes your extremities cold).  Only soaking in a long hot bath helps both.  I have taken about 4 showers in the past year; by contrast, probably closer to 1000 baths.  It's not just the relaxation factor, but really is based on physical pain after serious exertion (or coldness). A shower doesn't do any good for either,  at least for me.

ProfChiara

PS - And thanks Bill, for the vote of confidence if they only decide to keep bathtubs to I can post my stories!  Seriously, European hotels are not going to do away with baths, except maybe the newest. Even that is doubtful from what I know of European culture so I'm not too worried.

But there was a reason the Romans, the Franks, the Visigoths, and even medieval people (contrary to popular opinion bathhouses were common as was bathing in general until about 1600) loved thermal baths, spas, and bathhouses. (The medieval ones also served other purposes, but still...) But by the 17th C., people assumed if you took a bath all your pores would open and something (in their view) akin to germs would stream in.

So for those of you who like my stories, here's a good (and true) one: Louis XIV, the Sun King (1638-1715) was so horrified of baths that he only took two a year.  His poor valet prepared the tub, about one half with water and the other half with perfume.  Even so, when Louis got into the tub on at least one and probably many occasions on those six-month anniversaries, the valet either nearly or did pass out as a result of the stench (despite the perfume).

Cheers, ProfChiara

Professor,

How can one get to request a bathtub for there Marriott stay?

Request when they check-in?

Call the hotel directly?

I had a major problem with the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville, Ky on this issue and had to move to another hotel because of no bathtub that evening.

jbugdance Member

I agree with removing some of the tubs, just not 75% of them, maybe half would be more reasonable.  I think most people do not use the tubs when they are away.  I think they are more apt to use a jacuzzi than the tub. 

butterfly8

I stay in that Marriott almost every week.  I agree, I love the tiled walk-in shower!

"To 'Tub or not to Tub", that is the question!

Great thread!  If hotels want to change to a certain percentage with or without, that's fine, as long as I have the ability to check 'bathtub' just like I check nonsmoking, high floor and king bed on my preferences.

ProfChiara

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

Key is being able to request.  I like a tub on vaction, shower on business!

rogerg Platinum 1 Reviews

This was the bathtub during a recent stay at a Marriott in California.

rogerg

very nice!  I can now see why ProfChiara enjoys her baths! 

Rogerg,

Before, or after?

Just kidding!

This reminds me of the experience I had in Louisville recently.  The slippers told the story of the grime on the floor.

Not pretty at all!

Jerry

Great response!

rogerg Platinum 1 Reviews

Jerry,

I have to be more specific with my posts. LOL.

I vote for showers.

Rogerg,

Thanks for having a good sense of humor!

I hope Marriott does read these stories and look at these pictures.  There are just too many choices to find these type of rooms acceptable.  I seldom stay at a property that is not behind or near another competitor whose price is half of what I am paying!

I like most of us are loyal, but don't abuse us.

fhllast4ever Platinum

Great story about the sun king, Professor!  Wonder if the stench is from him or from the perfume (must be a cheap brand).

I would like Marriott to keep it as is, so I don't have to worry about one more detail(bath or shower).  Actually if they have to change one thing,

they should add multiple shower heads that run from head to toe so their

customers can have a bath, then shower luxuriously (viva Las Vegas).  Guaranteed no stench in the room and no cranky guest!

Back to the point about water pressure, Shoeman and any other guests who are tired of dribbling showers would appreciate the Residence Inn Dallas Park Central. It was like that scene from Seinfeld where Kramer installs the Commando 450 showerhead in his apartment....

dejamo Platinum

Now if they can just find an ecofriendly, nonanimal tested,  alkaline free,  noncaustic, hypoallergenic, nonsudsing, hairfrendly,  tearsfree, kid approved soap..............we would not need tubs at any Marriott,  as we could all just hop in the nearest pool or jacuzzi................

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...