6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2014 3:36 PM by techie RSS

Dayton Marriott-Not really smoke free

melinda15 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I realize that although Marriott rooms are all non-smoking rooms, if smoking happens with a $250 fine attached. I smelled cigarette smoke strongly in my room and got sick. After reporting it to the front desk I was told "It is not illegal. You can smoke, you just have to pay the $250 fine. But, they are not going to pay the fine" she says as if it is not a big deal. The next morning, I had to rush out of my room and leave because the cigarette smoke was so strong that I started coughing and got sick to my stomach. After reporting it to the front desk, they said someone is smoking in the hallway and walking past my door. Really? I ended up packing 2 weeks of stuff from my room and moving to another room. Although I still intermittently smelled smoke, it was very mild which tells me that someone is smoking in a room down the hall closer to my old room. I have sent an e-mail to customer service with a response from them but nothing from the hotel management.  For me, this is really a biggy.

• Re: Dayton Marriott-Not really smoke free
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Melinda15

I feel your pain.  Although I was a smoker for way too many years, I have not smoked in over 5 years and have come to really appreciate the bad side of the habit.  It's one thing to put yourself in harms way, but it is quite another to expose others to second-hand smoke as well as the burnt smell.  Regarding your specific experience, I would think that most of us have experienced a similar situation and you can only hope the management takes a stronger stance than what you had happen.  No, it is not against the law, but it is against written policy at Marriotts around the world.  If they feel that strongly, they must back it up with corrective action when it is pointed out to them.  Maybe a solution for them to consider is to add on to the policy by re-stating the fine ($250) but also adding you will be required to vacate the premises immediately upon being busted.  Thoughts anyone??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

agree with both of y'all, but until the hotel management and staff take control of these situations and actually start evicting violators, I don't see that much is going to change.  Melinda, glad you reported it to customer.care@marriott.com.  That has produced isolated results, but results nonetheless, in the past.  Let us know what else you hear from corporate or local management on this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Here in the (formerly) Golden State of California we have an interesting fine system for other infractions.

If you've driven our (unfortunately) littered highways you've seen those signs that tell you that the fine for littering is $1000.  I have been on juries where this was contested and heard from police officers that the citation is written at that dollar level and is often charged to the offender if caught. So the teaching point is that people continue to litter and if caught they pay a large fine (plus court costs if they choose to contest it).

With regard to Marriott and smoking I have always thought that scofflaws will smoke, but consider the $250 fine a minor inconvenience that they will suffer or contest on a charge to their credit card.  Thus, if I ruled the world I would jack that fine up to $1000 and let the smokers fume (no pun intended) even more.

Smoker's rights extend only to the smoker and not to my hotel room. In any case the rule is the rule--and rule breakers need to have a serious consequence financially if they choose to break them.

ohvermonter Platinum 8 Reviews

I understand your situation.  As a former Daytonian and a guest at the Dayton Marriott  for many events, but not as a lodging guest, I would offer that Dayton has a long "Tobacco History" and is close to and populated by many from the Commonwealth of Kentucky -- a tobacco stronghold.  Unfortunately, there is a high tolerance of tobacco use.  That said, Marriott, who licenses this property, should take necessary steps to admonish its owner's and management for their lax attitude.  On your next stay, try the Marriott Courtyard by the UD Arena.  The University of Dayton controls that and I think is more attentive.  We have stayed in other Dayton area Marriott properties with no problem.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I cannot put into words how strongly I disagree with the Marriott's handling of this situation.

From my experiences with Marriott and smoking enforcement, although it has not been as bad as yours, it has been, in many cases, completely unacceptable.

It is one thing to say that you are a non smoking hotel and rely upon the guests, and it is quite another to have an enforcement plan...and this is what they are lacking.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree, the smokers should be tossed out IMMEDIATELY and fined.  Their Marriott rewards points accounts should be cancelled also.  Marriott does not need this type of customer, there is no point in trying to keep them.

Smoking should not be allowed in any pool area, common area (indoors or outdoors), not allowed near any entrance or vent, not allowed in parking or valet areas, and a designated downwind area should be designated for smokers.  If such a place is not available, it should be all non smoking.  Period.

Marriott - take note, you are not doing enough to deal with the smoking violators.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

This is ridiculous.  Marriott has failed in their training and enforcement here.

Unfortunately, in many properties, they appear to be playing lip service to the no smoking policy while not making much of an effort to enforce it.

It seems that the guests who decide to smoke on balconies or patios or entrances are not dealt with, nor, in my experience, the ones in the rooms.

Anyone who smokes in the rooms should be fined, evicted from the hotel, charged with an offense if it s against local ordinance, and also have their Marriott rewards account deleted.

There is absolutely no excuse to be smoking in these places at all.  Go to a proper smoking area, have your smoke, and go back.  I don't see what the big problem is.

Did they have this much trouble getting people to use the toilet when they put in bathrooms?  I hope not.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...