10 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2011 5:09 AM by redwood RSS

Check Your Points!

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am a regular stayer in the Paris hotels.  It appears over the last couple of weeks there is some sort of error in calculating base points - for example in my stay for first week in May at the Rive Gauche I was credited 4600 instead of 10000! (based on the Euro/USD FX rate and 10 points to the $), and then a similar error this week.

Not sure where this is coming from and PP cust services are looking at it after I sent copies of my folio- but not fixed yet.

So if you are having non-dollar denominated stays - check your credits!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Check Your Points!
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

This has happened to me as well.  Sometimes it really is a major error, like yours, but it frequently happens to me in Europe.  Occasionally, however, it's because of taxes which don't count toward points or errors in currency conversion. I once had euros counted as if they were dollars! (Not a good thing for points.)

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Too true Prof!  Its not taxes in this case though as in France its only Euro 1.50 per night!

traveler723 Platinum

Always check your points.  I stayed a week in the Marriott in Honduras and my point total was a whopping 42 points.  I called the Marriott Platinum Customer Service line at least 20 times.  Each time I was assured that the problem would be corrected.  Six months later while in Gaithersburg MD, I spoke with the Desk Manager there about my frustrations in resolving the issue.  It took her 2 months but she finally got my points.  This was a major disappointment in Marriott customer service. 

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Thank's redwood. I'm off to Glasgow early next month. I'll be sure to check my points upon my return! I do appreciate the "heads-up."

nhtraveler

conshy04 Platinum 3 Reviews

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Tyson's Corner and I had to call to get the points credited.. 

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I recently stayed at the Anaheim Marriott for night at a rate of $219, which included a $100 Disney Gift Card as part of a promotion.  However, when I checked my points, they only gave me 1190 points, + my 50% bonus.  When I called MR Customer Service, they said they hotel only credited my points for $119 spent as that was my "Net" cost minus the $100 Gift Card!  I was like, "what?"  The customer service person didn't understand that either, so they quickly gave me my deserved points, based on the $219 rate.  So, bottom line, ALWAYS check your points.     

susiekb Platinum 44 Reviews

We stayed at the St Kitts Marriott last year.  Our stay was for 7 nights, then because of some tropical weather I reserved for 2 more nights.  When we got home I only got the points and credit for the 2 nights.  It's a good thing that I kept my paperwork when we checked out it took me a bit to get it resolved, but the customer service agent was very helpful and got back with me right away!  Everything was resolved.  I agree, always check your points!

omarharouni Silver 44 Reviews

Yes... it is a good practice.. it happened to me many times. Although I book through Marriott web site, it happens that I do not find my rewards account on the invoice and I have to scan and e-mail them to the customer service.

But to be fair, I always get my points afterwards.

So always check that your Rewards Account number is there in the system upon check-in and make sure it is printed on the invoice(s)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

One thing I learned the hard way was that non-hotel room amenities (dining, etc.) do not count toward point awards at Courtyards and some other brands.

My solution? I don't stay at Courtyards anymore unless I don't have a choice.  I don't get my free breakfasts anyway, so I usually stay at another Marriott.

But the points problem is serious, especially when foreign currencies are involved.  I've had a problem most often in Paris, least often in London and Italy.

So I agree with all -- check the points starting as soon as you get home!
    ProfChiara

Just an update foe me at least!  Customer services have now manuallu adjusted 3 stays for me in Paris and have acknowledged a "systems error" in exchange rate calculation.  Hopefully fixed soon!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...