9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2011 7:41 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Greek islands

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I'm going to Greece next month and have scheduled a four-day tour as part of a weeklong trip that will include some of the places I most wanted to see (the Palace of Knossos on Crete; the monastery of St. John on Patmos; and the islands of Santorini and Mykonos).

To be sure I can make it there and home, I have two days on each side in Athens and I have done absolutely all the day tours possible.  I would love to go to Meteora, but there don't seem to be flights (and I can't change my very cheap FF ticket to a better one now) and the day trip is impossible.  Are there any other accessible islands besides the ones right near Athens? Again, flight is not a problem -- whether it be with Aegean or Olympic as long as they can get me there and back. I most care about historic sites. I would love to go to Delos, but that looks impossible.

Any ideas?
ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Greece
  • Re: Greek islands
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Professor, you really should go to Meteora!!!

I agree that a day trip is impossible... you need to spend at least one night because of the distance.

There are trains and buses available from Athens to Kalambaka (about 4 1/2 hours on either transport).  Then, you can hire a taxi as your 'tour guide' to visit the monasteries.

http://www.greecelogue.com/getting-from-athens-to-meteora.html

Or, you can rent a car and drive yourself.  I've read of a rental car agency that will drive you in the rental car out of Athens to the motorway so you don't need to drive within the city.  If you'd like, I can try to locate their name.

Meteora is such a memorable visit.  It would truly be a shame to miss it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you -- that sounds doable! I've seen photos, and it looks amazing.

ProfChiara

dreeves Silver 3 Reviews

I see you have already been to Greece.  We are going on a cruise and will have a day in Mykonos.  Is there anything there that you truly think we should not miss?  We leave next Sunday so a speedy reply is appreciated.

Thanks!

DJ Reeves

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

If any island tours are by boat, check to make sure they are not 'three hour tours' or have a first mate named 'Gilligan'.......

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Never been to Greece!  Have a great trip!

Send us plenty of pictures!

Hi Jerry,

Alas, another problem with the website -- this was a post I made last May before my second trip to Greece, which by the way was wonderful.  The Athens Ledra is one of my absolute favorite hotels in the world.  I don't know why such old postings are showing up except that people are doing searches that turn up past posts and responding.

Go if you get a chance!

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Professor, what's going on with all these older posts arriving in our communications inbox?  I have a hard time keeping up with the maze of things that are current, as we all do.  This may be a plot to have us pay more attention (or just total confusion?)

Anyway, perhaps  the moderator can fix this so the dates are shown in RED or bolded?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

It's like "Freddie Krueger", it won't die!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Greece is a great place to visit and island hopping on a cruise is a great way to see the islands!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...