39 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2011 3:16 PM by bruins RSS

Better Promo's for Silver Members than Platinum!!!

barryd Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My buiness partner (Silver Member) just emailed me a promotion where he will earn a free night certificate for every 2 stays.  With a maximum of 2 nights earned.  I on the other hand have to stay 25 nights to earn a mega bonus of 40,000 points which equals the same 2 nights.  How is this fair to someone who has shown loyalty for over 5 years.  FYI Priority Club and HHonors do not do this (I am Platinum and Diamond with them as well).

• Re: Better Promo's for Silver Members than Platinum!!!
    versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I believe the thinking is that the points reward is more flexible. You can use the points for a higher tier reward, travel package, etc. Of course, that only works if you would normally be staying the 25 nights during that period.

That being said, it would be nice to have some additional perk for Platinum members that makes it better rather than being on (arguably) equal terms. Something like double arrival points during the promotion period, or arrival points plus arrival gift instead of the choice.

You also have the opportunity to switch which promotion you are enrolled in, although it would be nice to be able to set a preference or change it yourself instead of being auto-enrolled in one of the options. See this thread.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Barry, why can't you be in both promotions?  I am.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Steppingstones - How did you get into both promotions? Im a Platinum and on my promotions page I'm only invited to join the points for 20 stays promotion. Did you call the Marriott Rewards number and ask, or were you automatically enrolled in both? I'd really appreciate hearing how you did it.

nhtraveler

Laura (of Marriott Rewards) had posted this on What's new and as I recall you need do nothing other than  complete the stays to qualify.  No registration required apparently.

Perhaps one of the current Ambassadors can speak with Marriott to verify this?

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Steppingstones - I just got off the phone with James at customer relations and he told me that they are two options from the same promotion, so I can only get one or the other! No amount of friendly persuasion or referring to Laura's post was able to change his mind!

So, my friend, you either got really lucky, are more of a silver-tongued devil than I, or received offers for two separate promotions, rather than two options from the same promotion.

Next step - Hope Laura sees this and clarifies!

nhtraveler

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Insiders,

I'm sorry for so much confusion on this question of multiple promotions.  Let me try to clarify.  Members are allowed to participate in multiple promotions at the same time, unless the terms and conditions specifically prohibit this.  For example, you might be participating in a promotion from Visa at the same time as a global Marriott Rewards promotion.  For many of these promotions you must be registered to participate, and this is stated in the promotional message and the terms and conditions.

Some promotions have different offers targeted to different member segments - for these promotions you may only participate in one "promotional offer", and the "Make Two Stays Earn a Free Night" promotion is one of these.  I am sorry that I wasn't clear about this in my What's New post.

I have let our Guest Services team know that there are a lot of members wanting to participate in the "Make Two Stays" offer, rather than their targeted offer - and they are happy to work with you on this.  We appreciate your patience in taking the "extra step" to contact them, but they are more than willing to help you out so please contact them if you are not satisfied with your offer.

Regards,

Laura

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I suspect that the free night is also limited to a class of hotel?  If we are taking about 2 free cat 4 nights thats really 40k points worth of value.  If its a higher cat cert then there's a pretty big discrepancy in "value" of the promo that should be addressed.

I think the bigger issue lies with the time to qualify for the value.  A member that has the free night every 2 stays can essentially nail that down in a week if they check out and relocate each night on a typical M-F travel week.  The higher tier traveler has to put in 6wks of typical 4 night travel weeks plus a night to get the same value in points.  Cant say that I havent moved hotels in the past during the week to quickly catch up on a "stays" promo timeline but its a major pain to do so if you arent changing your work location each week 

The points certainly allow more flexibility in how a member uses them vs having to pick a category and personally I like getting points vs a set category cert.  Perhaps if we understood the value of the free nights it might ease some concerns with the members?  If it is a cat4 perhaps something can be done to increase value or decrease time to aquire the value for the higher tier members?

Thoughts?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

The free certs for this type of promo have been for Cat 1-4 in the past.  I suspect that's what it is this time also.

My good looks saved the day--actually it was dumb luck and not miuch else that got me involved in both promos

It seems to me that following what Laura said in her What's New post, and the fact that Stepping Stones is registered for both the points and the free nights promotions, Marriott would be well served and advised to accomodate anyone else wanting the same treatment.  I recall that Andrew, just before he moved on, after making a mis-statement, made good on his word to allow excess nights to roll over into the second year.  A lot of good will was bought with that decision.  Likewise, with this situation, in my opinion.  Consistency!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

NUHusker

Lots of uncertainty here.  we all need to band together and get the most current info out to all.

SS

how can any of us confirm which promo we are signed up for.  not which one was offered, the one we are registered for.  I can't figure that out.

I'd check the Terms and Conditions link for the promo in the "You're Registered" section of Promotion Central.

If it shows conflicting information then I guess the only way to tell for sure would be to call or email customer service. Mine shows the 25k/20nights+15k/25nights offer.

However, during the last Megabonus when I called and switched offers, it didn't update on the promo central page. It was a manual adjustment after the promo ended.

Hopefully we'll get some clarification from Marriott soon.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I got the same promo as Barry D -- the points for 25 nights.  There is no way I will be staying 25 nights at a Marriott in two months.  There should be choice, since it seems very unfair to me to give what many of us deem either an impossible or less desirable promo to the most loyal clients.

ProfChiara

Good question Shoeman,

I assume that the best way to discover which promotions that you are in fact signed up for, is to call the Platinum Premier or Platinum Line (or other Marriott help line if you are not in those two categories) directly and ask to be put on the ones you are missing.

I guess I now understand -- this is like the coupon business which had been a hallmark of retailers for a long time:  assume that a great number of coupons (in this case promotions) will be printed and a number far smaller will be redeemed.

Most of us have little time to police our promotion central page and assume (incorrectly)  all are being offered to us.

This should change in my view so that we are all signed up for all--that would be fairer to all.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Wow! I know I MUCH prefer bonus POINTS and hope by calling Platinum customer service I can get signed up for that promotion instead of the stay 2 nights, stay free 1 night certificate (cat 1-4 only). I enjoyed 5 nights at the Marriott London County Hall last month by using the bonus points I accrued last year. Fabulous. Fingers crossed....

I also find it interesting that the free night certificates are Cat1-4 (at least I'm assuming they are based on past promos). Yet the image used in the "You have dreams. We'll take you there. Earn up to two free nights." banner add at the top of the promo page is the Eden Roc Renaissance Miami Beach which is a Cat6 hotel.

Somewhat misleading. Although I can see why they used that picture, it looks pretty nice to me.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

These free night promotions are always for a CAT 1-4 certificate, including this one. Deception at it's best, poor loyalty towards their best customers at the worst.

What they are telling us is to do is stay a few nights at some high-end hotels and as a reward they will send you to the Fairfield of our choice.

I was surprised to see that there are 10 JWs that are Cat4. But yeah, I know what you mean. The choices are pretty limited.

I would much rather have the flexibility that points provide rather than trying to scramble at the end of six months to find a place I want to stay just because my cert is about to expire.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

So if its cat4 and you wanted to go that route then the "value" of points is equal both ways.  The downside is that its just cat4 properties (which are limited and less "dreamy") but you can still get to the value in a week if you were so inclined.  To get the points you have to put a far greater effort in and spend far more money.  That seems to be the real difference as far as I can tell.  I'm going to be on the road either way but it could require me to pull a sunday night to make the timeline to get the full 40k.  Curious if there is any way to sweeten the pot or shorten the time.

MikiegFla

Love your response!  what you said is sad but true...

nycuws10025 Platinum

I was offered 20K points after 15 nights and and additional 10K points after 20 nights.

My spouse, a Silver elite was offered the two nights = 1 free night option.

Considering the Insiders-only sneak preview posted by Laura on 02MAY2011 which announced "Make two stays, Earn a free night!" I am rather disappointed. 

Acknowledging all that has been written here about the comparative value of a cat 1-4 certificate with stay restrictions and a 31DEC2011 expiration date versus points which can be applied to any stay and which never expire, I am still quite conscious of the "Value" of the two awards:  

• A regular category 4 award "costs" 20,000 points (or 15,000 if a point saver award is used.)
    • While those who got "option A" only have to invest two nights to get an award "worth" 20K points, I have to invest 15 nights! 
    • Similarly, "option A" recipients can invest four nights and get two stays, which is the maximum award benefit which can be earned, while the best I can do with my offer is to earn 30K points and I have to invest 20 nights to get that!

Quite frankly, in addition to being quite annoyed to be told that the promotion was going to be one thing and then finding out my offer is something very different (and in my opinion quite inferior to the promised offer) I also feel that as a Lifetime Platinum Elite, I am being taken advantage of!

Where these promotions should increase brand loyalty and spending amongst Marriott's most valued customers, in my case, I am offended and am giving serious consideration to investing my hotel dollars in a very attractive Hyatt promotion (where I have no Elite status at all) which is running at the same time as this Marriott program!

I understand the benefit of multiple "hurdles" to try to increase spending at various loyalty levels.  I do not understand a sneak preview announcing the (apparently) lowest hurdle level if other hurdles exist and when the announced hurdle is not being offered to all members automatically - this sounds like "Bait and switch" to me.   I do not agree that I should have to contact Customer Service to get my offer changed to match that which was announced as being the promotion!

What is the solution?  I propose:

• Post ALL of the hurdle levels on the Marriott Rewards member's Promotions Central screen and let the member make the selection of which hurdle he/she thinks is attainable based on his/her forecasted travel plans during the promotion period.  Making such a selection could easily be done on the member's Promotions Central page.
    • Let the Elite member participate in ALL of the hurdles automatically with the understanding that he/she will only receive ONE award - either the highest of the hurdles achieved or the award of his/her choice if it is lower.  (In this case,the two free Cat 1-4 stays versus the 30K point)
    • Finally, make the rewards reflective of what the member has invested.  Don't give Mr. SE the equivalent of 40K points for four nights while requireing Mr. PE to stay 20 night for essentially the same thing!  If Mr. PE is going to stay 20 nights, give him an award that truly reflects the proportional value of what he has spent on staying for 20 nights!

nycuws10

as always, well said and spot on!  this could very well be an example why, even though Marriott was awarder the #1 hotel reward program, it was NOT voted the #1 hotel reward program as it relates to the elite members.  Hyatt earned the award.  let's all hope this mess gets straightened out very soon.

Dear Laura,

As an ambassador who herself did not get the promotion she wanted (but was assigned one), what should I do?  Call Marriott?  Why can't we have a promotion section that says (perhaps depending on status, but not necessarily), which promotion do you want?  The way I travel, normally in Europe, precludes me ever having the possibility of doing 25 nights in two months.

Thanks!
    ProfChiara

Wanna trade?

ProfChiara

Hi Mikieg,

Occasionally (if my mind is still functioning), they are for 1-5, and surprisingly there are a number of Cat 5 hotels in Europe that are amazing, including the Athens Ledra where I'll be next month.  So I'll always take the free nights.  Since I live far from all transatlantic airports, I can always use them for an overnight near Boston.

ProfChiara

Hi nycuws10,

Brilliant response!  This is exactly what we need.  It sounds like we're all getting different kinds of rewards assigned to us, no matter what we want or could use.

I fully agree with your new system!
    ProfChiara

I was wrong--seems that I thought I was in two promotions but alas am only in one--chalk it up to wishful thinking and lack of careful reading

Well, that solves one Mystery.....

Now, about having the ability to choose one's bonus plan.....

I guess I am one of the promotion police (at least for myself). I check my Delta and Marriott accounts (as well as credit cards) daily. I have found lately with Delta whole lots of promotions were not being counted.  When I actually contacted the vendor then Delta, they suddenly appeared.

My suspicion is that frequent whatever programs may be trying (in some cases -- I am not trying to implicate all and I don't use other Marriott affiliated points, just Delta) -- to forget about it.  This has happened to me with huge bonus points promised for 1800Flowers purchases as well as PetRx for Delta promotions.  PetRX totally came through and Delta responded immediately (but keep your receipts!).  Unfortunately I didn't keep the 1800Flowers receipt (nor did it indicate in the email the number of points/miles, unlike PetRX), so I only got about half the miles I should have -- after fighting.

Again, this wasn't Marriott.  Sad to say I gave up on the Marriott mall long ago in favor of Skymiles shopping because my points never seemed to get posted.  But these days I think we all need to be vigilant about keeping our receipts for points or miles.

ProfChiara

I vote NYCUWS10025 for the next Ambassador!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings, Insiders,

We reached out to our promotions team again to get some clarity on our promotions. Hopefully I can clear some things up for you.

As you all know, some of our promotions contain targeted offers. The targeting process varies by individual member and by promotion. Members are selected for promotions based upon a number of variables, including recent hotel stay activity and stay history -- with the overall intention of providing the best possible offer potential to each member. Promotions are not based solely on level, so it is possible that members within each level will receive different offers. By targeting promotions we can provide richer offers.

I think nomenclature may be causing some of the confusion. An active promotion may have one or more offers associated with it. We may have multiple promotions in market at a time -- and you may register for more than one. But when it comes down to the promotion itself, you can only take advantage of one of the promotion's offers.  There are three offers associated with our current promotion, as you now know. However, we do assure you that nobody is participating in more than one of these offers. As mentioned above, a user can only be enrolled in one when they are tied to the same promotion.

We do believe the notion of a "better" offer is subjective, as you yourselves are indicating. Some of you like one offer, some the other.  If you have other questions about the promotion, please contact Guest Services at 1-801-468-4000 or send me a personal message with details and your account number.

Also please know that all of your ideas regarding future promotion structures have been shared with our promotions team for consideration.

Regards,

Laura

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I want a promotion, "Stay 175+ nights and get . . . " (fill in the blank). Just being silly as I've made this level the last 9 years running.

Pingreeman

That is a whole lotta nights....  reminds me of John Candy in "Planes/Trains/ and Automobilies".

loyaltytravele Silver

I loved reading this thread. So many of the questions I have raised in the past couple of years are being voiced by several other Marriott Rewards members.

There are good suggestions for Marriott Rewards promotion improvements in this thread.

kingkamea Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm not sure, but I think that you are a little confused about the 2 different promotions. Both of the promotion were available to Platinum members. One promotion was for 40,000 points, and another was for 2 free nights.

I know that I recieved the benefits from both promotions.

King, your statement is in direct conflict with Marriott's official response a few posts up. Are you sure you're enrolled in both? When you log in and view your Promotion Central page, do you see two listed in the "You're Registered" section? Or is one listed in "You're Registered" and one listed in "Your Recent Promotions"?

There should be one currently active promotion for which some people received different offers.

nycuws10025 Platinum

Greeting Laura,

Thanks for your post on 13MAY which does offer some clarifications. 

While I may have not used the terms you used, I can confirm my understanding of Marriott Rewards promotions was as you described it.  My use of "hurdles" equates to the various offers which may be attached to any given promotion.

I am also grateful for your passing our suggestions to your promotions team, as it would also seem that many of my fellow Insiders probably are as well.

The big issue, of course, seems to be the method by which MR members are assigned the targeted offers as opposed to our being able to select the offer (hurdle) which best meets our needs. 

Yes, the issue of which offer is "better" is highly subjective and thus, at least in my opinion, it is a determination probably best made by the MR member rather than the Marriott Rewards Promotions team.  It would seem to be a rather easy technological fix to offer MR members the ability to select the offer which best meets their needs from our Promotions Central screens.

I am somewhat amused by your use of the term "richer offers" in your post.  Using two of the offers attached to this promotion as examples: One member is offered the opportunity to stay 20 nights and earn 30K points.  Another member is offered the opportunity to stay 4 nights and get two one-night category 1-4 awards which has a "Value" of 40K points (or 30K if a point-saver award were used).   I can certainly seehow the second offer is "richer" for Marriott, but I certainly don't see any way that I would view that as being "richer" from my point of view!  Please refer to my original post which suggests that the reward should be directly related to the amount of time and/or money the MR member has invested in achieiving it.    Giving an award with the same point value to both the guy who stayed 4 nights and to the guy who stayed 20 nights doesn't come close to reflecting the comparative commitment Mr. 20-night guy made versus Mr. 4-night guy.  I, personally, don't see the offer I got in this promotion as being "richer" in any stretch of the imagination.

One phone call will get you the promo of your choice.

bruins Platinum

My two phone calls did not get me the promotion of my choice only apologies about the program

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...