12 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2011 2:14 AM by happyexplorer RSS

Every Day or Last Day?

versel Alumni Steward Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

When do you all tip housekeeping? I can't seem to get a consensus from my friends/co-workers. Some tip every day and some wait until the end of the stay.

And then there are a couple of them who never tip, but that's another discussion...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Every Day or Last Day?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Somewhere in the past this was covered by others on Insiders.  It is always a personal choice for me, and I suppose many others.  Each situation differs, of course.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

traveler2 Platinum

I'm so glad you addressed this. I'm not sure what to do as well. I have to ask though.....why tip? They get paid to do their job. Are they paid based on tips such as a food server is? Minimum wage plus tips?

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I tip each morning, usually $1 on the pillow.  That way, you're more likely to get better service while you're there, i.e. extra towels, bottles of water, etc.  I've even had "towel animals" left for me!   

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Good question, Versel.  I didn't realize that it was customary to tip for a clean room.  Should the tip be based on the price of the room?  Or maybe, the amount of time they take to clean it?  Just seems odd to me, but I think if I was going to do it, I'd do it on the last day and hand the $ straight to the maid or maybe leave it on the desk with a thank you note.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I never have.  wouldn't know how much to give or how to judge the worthiness of the gesture.  I think we would find this is heavily skewed towards female guests but that is just an opinion.  I think it is a nice gesture, but not sure I feel it necessary.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm on the Shoeman bandwagon on this one!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Very difficult to put a real decision to this question. How do you tip on an extended stay when you have a different person cleaning your room each day?

How do you tip if your stay is only for one night?

How do you know if you stay two nights that the same person will clean your room the second day and get what you leave if you do tip?

It's really a personal call as to how, or if, you tip for room cleaning. With all the variables that could be encountered, how is one to make the 'right' choice?

There really is no right or wrong answer, just do what you think is best for your circumstance.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I tip every day (unless it is a one-night stay).  Having worked in some less than prestigious jobs to get myself through college and grad school, I respect how little the people make who clean rooms or do similar work.

Also, in Europe, the hospitality industry really is different.  I think in most places (even though I haven't had tips taken in Belgium or Spain -- in which case I leave it all the last day), you will find you get extra super treatment if you tip starting the day after your arrival. That's not why I tip but it's an added benefit.

But it is an individual choice!

ProfChiara

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

and how much, dollar a day two dollars???

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

It's really all about personal choice whether and how much.  Since I can afford to (and remember my days of working many jobs at the same time), I tend to tip well -- but tipping customs are different in each country as I mentioned in an earlier post.

In Belgium, people have been known to run after you to give you your money back (so if you're going to tip do so the last day); in other countries it is more or less expected (I remember from my 1980s dissertation days in Paris it was customary to leave about 10 francs even at the lowliest hotel, or a couple of francs a day).  And you will find your are 'better taken care of' if you tip well from day one.

ProfChiara

year2member Gold

I always tip $2-3 daily.  I figure if you wait till the end of your stay you might have a housekeeper who only cleaned your room that day.  I am not sure if they pool tips; I doubt it.  By tipping every day I figure I just might get a little better service daily during my stay.

happyexplorer Silver

I tip everyday $3. Most people are minorities making minimum wage and since the majority of travelers don't tip in the USA, it will be much appreciated. I also try to leave a thank you note. Everyday b/c you might not get the same maid, they work really hard.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...