2 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2011 3:39 PM by profchiara RSS

very disappointed trying to use free night promotion

cbadtraveler Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
We have 2 free nights to redeem at a Marriott property 1-4 category.  I called to use them as I did last summer when we used them to book my reservation.  I was told to get online book the room and then call back and they will apply the promotions.  This morning I booked 2 nights at the Cherry Hill Residence Inn, called Marriott gold rewards # and was told I can't use them at this property since "they don't have a lot of rooms available".  I asked the person we spoke to - Sherry, she informed me of not being able to use them.  I asked her to show me in the terms and conditions where it stated based on availablity these can be used.  After a 10 minute hold she came back and said that when using points its based on availability.  I reminded her I was not using points ( I use points on week long stays, usually nothing shorter).  She then told me it isn't stated in the terms and conditions for the promotion ( I knew that), but it's just like using points , very weak answer.  She then offered to call the hotel to see if they would accept the promotion, they told her no.  She spoke to the General Manager Dan W. at the property.  After our 35 minute phone call with Sherry we hung up and called the property directly.  We spoke with Dan W. who proceeded to tell us, the property usually sells out during the week and why would he accept a promotion for a free room when he can get good money for it.  Seriously, that was his answer.  Needless to say, we cancelled the reservation.  We have stayed at Marriotts worldwide- Austria, Germany, France, and Italy.  We are staying at the Marriott in Meade Ireland next week. Last year we stayed at Marriott properties in over 10 states on a cross country along with a 1 week stay at a property near Cherry Hill, the customer service there was outstanding.  We have been so used to great service, I guess this is why this is such a shock.  I totally understand the business aspect of things, but if you are going to use limited availability, at least have it in your terms and conditions and educate your customer service dept. to let people know when they call inquiring about reservations for the promotion. If we would have known this, we would have booked much sooner.
  • Re: very disappointed trying to use free night promotion
    versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I'm pretty surprised they told you to make the reservation yourself and call back. I've used those free night certs plenty of times in the past and each time I called Marriott to make the reservation without incident. They never once said I had to make it myself and then call back to get it changed.

Sounds like pretty poor service all around, but seems like it could have been avoided if the associate on the phone attempted to make the reservation for you and found out there were no award rooms available...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: very disappointed trying to use free night promotion
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I concur with Versel.  Every time I've called to use a free night certificate they've done the work.  The hotels frankly do not know how to handle VISA certificates.  I'd call your MR line number and request it once again.  If the person can't help, ask for a supervisor.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...