13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 10:42 PM by versel RSS

Thumbs Down

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Call me old-fashioned and a tad bit cranky but I feel that people who thumb their i-phones, and even i-pads during their dinner are starved for attention, perhaps lack tact, or are even rude.

Recently my wife and I were in a fine dining establishment near home and three diners came in with electronic paraphernalia, and one even looked under his table for a plug so he could recharge!  This while the server waited patiently for a break in the thumb searching.

Must be something to needing to be in touch all the time that I fail to understand, or a sign of the essential me-ness of modern life.

Am I alone on this?

• Re: Thumbs Down
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

you may not be alone (I agree with you), but we are in the minority.  Also, the minority will continue to shrink rapidly.  The youth of today are growing up with a 24/7 mentality (when it comes to connectivity) and I don't see anything that will change this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Once upon a time people spoke to each other face to face. In grad school we used the card catalog to do our secondary source research, we wrote letters and the phone (one and only per house often with a party line) was answered at times other than dinner.

Perhaps restaurants could establish an electronics-free zone?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

It is quite rude that people have to use their cell phones, IPads, et al when in a restaurant. I still follow the old fashioned way and won't even have my cell phone on while in a restaurant.

Going back to the days of the 'non-smoking' question when being seated, I, for one, hope restaurants don't go the route of establishing an electronic free area. To me, that means ignorance has won. Let them just put up a sign, if they dare, to shut off the phone for the pleasure of all to be able to enjoy their dining experience phone, ring, and text free.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

sorry to bust your balloon.  I have been in 3 establishments in the past 2 weeks that have an ipad at the table for both ordering food and checking your emails, etc.....  seems they are embracing the trend rather than bucking it.

In a world of consumer supply and demand I thnk I will boycott those places where most conversation is electronic and concentrate on my dining partner rather than my emails.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I haven't thought about using my iPad in a restaurant, other than an airport bar, but if you're buying supper, I'll turn the phone off and be a part of whatever conversation you want to have.  I don't see the big deal as long as I'm not being disturbed, and the mere fact that someone is surfing the web or checking email doesn't really bother me.

I agree NUHusker, no harm.no foul.

But as a chief of surgery, good friend and former colleague recently told me, he has resorted to asking that all his MDs keep their hands on the table while he's conducting a staff meeting so that he can be sure they are not texting while the meeting is going on at the hospital! I would like my doctor's full attention when he's seeing me.

The importance of being in touch sometimes overhwelms the need to be human, I think, but then I am old and not wired up at all times.

And if I were talking with my Dr I'd agree.  But since I probably don't know the people at the next table, I don't care what they do as long as I'm not disturbed by it, and playing around with a blackberry or iPad doesn't seem all that outrageous.

I also agree that life was much simpler when we wrote letters.  My mother still has, and treasures, some that I wrote from overseas over 40 years ago.

davidinla Platinum

This is a huge pet peeve. I don't take mine into most public places.

That's what  voice mail and email are for.

sirray Platinum

Well... I'm one of those people who you see enjoying my dinner while thumbing through my Blackberry in a restaurant. Fact is, I'm traveling for work and eating alone. Believe me, I'd rather peolpe watch. But I know that people don't like to be watched, especially when they are eating. So rather than bothering people by watching them, I keep up with the happenings of the world or trade a few shared on my trusty old Crackberry.

kahunapremier Platinum

It's all about balance, using technology at appropriate times and sometimes in appropriate locations (talking on the phone while using a restroom is just silly)

My pet peeve is that people don't wash hands when finishing using the restrooms.

Yeh, and then you find out the slug who didn't wash is the business client you're meeting at the restaurant and he want's to shake hands!  I'm with Trump on this one...NO HANDSHAKES!  And I'm not loaning my phone to anybody!

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

The article linked below brought this past discussion to mind again for me.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2079197-1,00.html

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...