Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

29 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2011 10:54 AM by chazdawg RSS

Promotionless May?

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Surprised there are no current Platinum Promos and virtually nothing with the Marriott Visa either.  The last year had a number of mega bonus promos and the Visa card had several promos providing stay vouchers based on spend.  But nothing at this time.  Hopefully some things are in the works and on the way.

• Re: Promotionless May?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

PSUdad

agreed.  However, keep in mind that business has perked up and many of the "promotional offers" in many industry's are falling by the wayside.  They don't need to entice us quite as much as a year ago.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

For those who haven't seen it, there's this post in the Insiders' Lobby section. Enrollment starts in a few days. We can sign up for the promotion in May even though we can't start earning credit until June...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

We are... Penn State, PSUDad, and there was an accelerator bonus for the Chase Visa that may include this month, and as others have said, a Megabonus coming Monday May 9th, at which time you can sign up.

Thanks, Stepping - and all.  Hadn't seen the May 9 bonus.  Did see the double points from Visa but it is pretty limited.

FYI - I didn't go to PSU but both of my kids and alot of my money did (and still will for one more year)

Look foward to my two free nights.

I am a proud Nittany Lion from the class of so long ago I cannot remember, but I have a 45th reunion this June (wish I were a math whiz so I could figure it out!). Winemaker Gary Eberle, of the same named winery, and I were classmates. Along with 5000 other folks.

At the time I went there was NO tuition for in-state students, just room, board and books, which amounted to about 1000 a year, as I recall. I worked my tail off during the summer and Christmases to fill that gap.  My time at State College was magical (even more magical now that I am ancient), and I would love to relive it--but that's best left to the younger Penn Staters.

Back to the Mega bonuses:  Wouldn't it be nice if we could see the return of that double nights promotion from two years ago? That helped me maintain Platinum Premier in what was a lean travel year, and for which I am grateful.

All in favor of double nights, raise your hand

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Yes, the double nights were the best -- as were some double MQM miles...but those days may be gone.  But as mentioned, there is a new Chase Marriott Platinum bonus for shopping for May and June, so definitely sign up!

ProfChiara

Versel

I read the post but did not see the requirements for the plan.  do you know how it works?

Nope. I don't have any details other than what I saw there on that post. I guess we'll find out Monday.

moneyadvisor Gold

Can someone please put up a link to the Visa Offer?  I have not seen it?  Thanks

dejamo Platinum

If I recall correctly,  I got 60k Delta skymiles about this time last year with the 5k per night stay promotion.  Would be nice to have that back again this year !

Mine came in the mail, as most of my Chase Rewards card offers do (despite the fact that I pay online).  I don't think you have to sign up but it was for double points for groceries and drug store purchases in May and June.
    ProfChiara

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have never seen nor been sent any of the current 'bonus' promotions for the Marriott Visa card. I am going to guess that because my wife and I have almost exclusively used the Marriott Visa for our charges; we don't participate in the deals they send asking us to spend $8500 per month or more for three months and they'll 'reward' us with a points bonus (as sent in the past); they never send the nights bonuses anymore; they see no need to entice me to spend more. Probably figure I'm 'tapped' out with the charge account.

Too bad for them....especially since I pay my bill every month in full. I know I'm a good profit maker for them. As of a short time ago, we have placed the Marriott rewards Visa card 'off limits' for any charges. I've also changed all the direct debit charges for utilities, et al to another vendor. This is a perfect example of a supplier aggravating a customer and my choice of answer is to walk away and not use their card until I get our 'account' back into an even status point with other deals being offered. Offering free nights and double points to others and not offering anything to (I am sure) one of their higher spenders is foolish. They penalize me for spending more...sensible?

A secondary reason for this is that Marriott has noticed us (earlier this year) that all rollover nights are being turned back to them next year (anything in excess of 75 will revert back to Marriott until rollover nights passed thru from 2010 to 2011 have been recouped). My nights at Marriott will not exceed 75 for this year. I am going to make it that way. I'm not going to run up 110 or 115 nights with them when the excess over 75 is being taken from me until they recoup the rollovers.

Bad policies on the part of these companies....or bad thinking (marketing) towards getting away from programs that they used to entice more usage in quieter times. As Shoeman said, their business is better and so the offerings change. That's OK with me....but I'll also make sure I'm not a customer that is disadvantaged by their action and pays a price for my loyalty.

Visa would have been better served by running consistent programs for all of their customer base instead of a miriad of promotions based on spending habits that must be nightmarish to follow. Marriott would have been better served to say the rollover promotion is over rather than saying they will recoup nights from a previous rollover year.

Hi TEF,

I'm really surprised at your post because my spending habits with the VISA card are exactly the same (or close to) as yours.  I don't use cash for anything anymore and I pay off my bill in full every month.  So I don't understand the difference.  Which of the cards do you have, the regular or Platinum Premier (which gives more points)?  I'd call them and complain because I've never had anything but good experiences with MR VISA.

ProfChiara

Hi Professor,

I have the same card. Also spent in the six figure range with them last year, just not consistent amounts each month. It seems they do monitor spending habits....and the offers for extra miles with big buck purchase requirements, etc. came when I spent the least. Now they just don't come. I'm sure they have me blocked in a 'what do we do with this guy for promos' area.

I won't complain to them directly, don't want to argue inequities of marketing programs with someone who doesn't care nor need grief from me about it. They didn't create the program. I just do something different. I have no doubt they'll notice at some point they lost a sizeable user. If not, doesn't matter.

It's their loss to see any customer with spending habits that are like mine (or should I say my wife's....) use another card. Compounding the issue is that all the nights credited beyond 75 (and there would be many) would be lost as a night credited because of Marriott's new position on recouping rollover nights from the previous year. So, next year I start with a clean slate and no rollover nights.

We've decided to visit some places where there are no Marriotts this year, so that makes the decision to stay at other properties easier, although there will be nights (when I reach the 75 magical number) that I will stay elsewhere. It's unfortunate that companies do things that send customers to competitors because their customer doesn't want to be treated in an inequitable fashion. Marketers and managers need to better analyze the results from their actions. Why should I stay over 75 nights this year when I won't get credit for them? I'm sure Marriott's wish will be that another brand doesn't take my business altogether.

Wish the rates were the same at PSU.  Been paying $25k per student x 2 - and they are having way more fun than me!!

Just had posted 20,000 points from Chaae for having spent $12K in the last three months on their Visa card (wish that was all I had spent!).

Hope othersw are getting the same notification.

SS:

Do you mean 20000 additional (bonus) points (in excess of the regular points for purchases)?

Interesting, Stepping.  Were you made aware of the bonus program, an inception, that got you the 20k points or did you only find out once achieved?  I am not aware of that program, but certainly spent the money.

20K additional points, yes, and there was an email from Chase and from Marriott that announced this.  Nice add to my megabonus!

as shown on my statement:

Last Recorded Transaction:

• 05/05/2011
    • MR CREDIT CARD SPECIAL BONUS
    • Total Earnings: 20,000 points

SS:

You have shown exactly why I have put the MR credit card from Chase in the drawer and complete my earlier rant about Chase and their miriad of promotions that appear to have no rationale as to why one gets promotion X and why one gets promotion Y.

My current statement balance is $9600. The previous statement I replaced two of the three central air units in my house and charged it to the MR Visa and that amount was in excess of my normal charges, so I won't even begin to tell the size of that bill. Prior to that, the statement was over $5000.

My bonus = 0. No promotion; no additional points; no nothing offered by Chase for my loyalty. It is obvious to me that Chase has no need to reward me further with promotional material. So, I won't charge $1 on the card until I get the card back to a square that is consistent with offerings that I see posted here for others. If they don't come, no matter....but I bet they will when they notice a five figure monthly balance has gone to a zero monthly balance.

We charged just under 30K for the 3 month period and I cannot figure out who gets what and why--mysteries of Chase and Visa I suppose.  I do not recall if this was a targeted to me only email, but perhaps it was.

Sorry they did not give you that same deal--you certainly deserve it!

Hmmm.  Here it is May 9th, and there's nothing in my inbox.  So, for now it is still Promotionless May.

http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread/null

Guess I was too impatient.  Just saw the new mega bonus come to the site.  Between june 1 and aug 31, stay 20 nights, get 25k bonus points, stay 5 more nights, get 15k more bonus points.

So, total opportunity for 40k more bonus points this summer.

I got the same promotion. Has anyone received a 35k+15k offer?

PSUDad

where on the site do you see this maga bonus?  I've looked everywhere and only see the stay 2 times, get a free nite promo.  help!

Mine showed up in the Promotion Central area of my account:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/promotionCentral.mi

Interesting that the post in the Insiders' Lobby section had the stays/nights promotion listed but I was auto-registered for the nights/points promotion.

Also, it's not listed as "Marriott Rewards Megabonus" like the previous one. It's simply identified as "Marriott Rewards" instead.

traveler2 Platinum

I just looked at my activity page and found an offer starting June 1 for the bonus points. Same as Spring Bonus. What wasn't there was the free nights bonus. Do we all get different offers?

davidinla Platinum

Funny I was thinking the same thing! Marriott!?

chazdawg Platinum
    I've been looking at my promotions page for weeks and still I have nothing. I called the Plat. Premier line and they have no info on a June 1 promo...two different agents...is this targeted? I will try to call on Tuesday when I expect that MR will be available as my luck so far with the "exclusive" line has been nil. I chalk that up to being a reservations line and not a Rewards line. ChazDawg P.S. I hope I'm not missing out cuz I failed to make the Spring Megabonus. The first time in years I failed to hit the number of nights...I was heart broken.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...