13 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2011 11:46 PM by dejamo RSS

Staff/Associate recognition - Insiders' role

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was struck by the recent "power of thanks" debate, partly because of its basic decency, and partly because it seemed to attract a wide spectrum of opinion across Insiders membership

I wonder if Insiders mightn't take an initiative in this area.

What I have in mind is something very simple; for example, individual members citing on this site the particular achievement of a member of staff/associate of a Marriott Hotel they have stayed in recently, togther with a very brief justification. If it was felt appropriate - and perhaps either the Ambassadors or website's team or both could be the arbiters in this respect - the name could then be referred on to the hotel in which they are working.

I am aware that Marriott Intl has its own "staff recognition" scheme which leads to annual awards. I am not thinking of anything as elaborate and formal as this; just a simple recognition by customers of exceptional performance quality and an expression of gratitude.

Best wishes.

• Re: Staff/Associate recognition - Insiders' role
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Arkwright,

SteppingStones and I brought this up in our conversations with Marriott about improving the site, with a forum on "Spirit to Serve" or something like that.

In any case, forum or not, I think to the degree that we don't invade anyone's privacy we should always recognize truly exceptional service.  I am not totally sure of Marriott's policy on individual names, though I doubt first names would be a problem in any case -- it certainly shouldn't be.

I'm hoping the new platform site will be available in the not too distant future!
    Cheers, ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

An excellent idea Arkwright.  In olden days there was a book in the room's nightstand called "The Spirit to Serve," along with the Bible and Book of Mormon.  This slim volume spoke of the power of serving others, with Marriott as a focus.  I applaud your suggestion that we recognize those who have gone beyond what is expected to help us.

Once during winter at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington Virginia, the Concierge Lounge remained open even though power for the hotel was intermittent and there were few guests in house.  In those days there were two concierges, one a Cordon Blue graduate and the other a French Chef, classical trained in her country.  With flickering lights inside and a barrage of snow as if it were a sunny day in  mid-May. Unflappable, as always.

At closing they asked if we'd (our small group) like to stay, they would leave the room open.  I asked if they were being given overnight accommodations in the Marriott and they had been offered them but preferred to go home and ride out the storm.  Another guest and I offered to drive them home (in our less-than-plow-like rental cars) and they accepted. A normal 15 minute ride took an hour but we got them to their respective homes, and then we made the arduous trek back to the Marriott, arriving at 2am.

We did lose power in the hotel overnight but they had given us small flashlights to get around. The GM slept in the hotel and when I saw him as I left for work the next day told him of the graciousness of the ladies in the Lounge.  At his suggestion I nominated both for the Spirit to Serve, an award that is normally bestowed on associates who go the extra mile for guests. Mr. Marriott presented them with it some months later.

The ladies in the Lounge moved on to restaurants and other pursuits, but their spirit to serve remained etched in my mind.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dejamo Platinum

Professor et al,

Please see one of my previous posts http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread/6290

Wherein,  even though I named names about exceptional service,  I received an email stating that my post was "changed", I assumed to retract the actual full names of the staff members,  who now appear by their salutations and the first initial of thie last name.

Regards,

For privacy reasons that is so.  In rare cases the moderator seems to have missed full names, but only very rarely.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

It's been my personal experience here on Marriott Insiders that the moderator has only censored the names when I recognized substandard customer service. I still have posts in the history containing names where I commended outstanding employees.  Appears Marriott doesn't want others to know about the duds.  And it would be helpful if whoever is sending the email notifying of the changes, to give a reason why.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

NUHUSKER

Agreed.  However, I am sure they have bigger things to deal with.

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

Recognition is always good. Even if it doesn't result in any direct benefit to the employee, it still helps other Insiders get an idea of who goes above and beyond.

How about just being nice in recognizing someone -- human kindness is always important in interpesonal relationships.

dejamo Platinum

SS,

"Being Nice" is, at the minimum, a requirement at every hotel I chose to grace with my presence. And no one should settle for anything less.  With that said,  you as well as I and many others,  PP's or not,  know that we have favorite locations, and some are better than others.

After all,  we are the customers,  and if the basic human emotion of "niceness" is not reciprocated at a Marriott, or elsewhere for that matter,  I will do whatever it takes to ensure that others that follow me are not treated the same way.  And unfortunately,  there are some "pretty basic humans" providing customer service at some of the hotels.

If it takes calling Seal Team Six back into action after their well deserved R&R, so be it.

Dej

Point taken Dejamo.

I would add that I long for the "In Search of Excellence" type service that Waterman and Peters spoke of in that best seller of the 1980's, specifically what I would call the "Nordstrom Effect."  This refers to the old Nordies where nothing was too hard, nothing too impossible, service was far beyond that even the most starry eyed optimist might expect.

Those days, for the most part, are gone--we live in a voice mail, email, internet chat world where face to face is all too infrequent.I had a tech chat today with Comcast, our cable provider since my wait time for phone help was measured in decades.

At check in at a Marriott hotel we have a face to face meet with the front desk associate. As others have said, this can go well or not well.  Attitude and recognition of status go a log way toward makiung the stay enjoyable.  I realize that associates like the rest of us can have a bad day. I also realize that people checking in can be demanding or unreasonable or dishonest--I have seen all three behaviors in my four decades of Marriott staying.  I hope that with training and reinforcement Marriott can instill in its associates the need to listen, to acknowledge a guest's status, and to be helpful--that would as our neighbor Mr. Eastwood would say, "make my day!"

fhllast4ever Platinum

In my field of work, we have what we call the "Hands and Heart Award", only awarded to the employee who have gone over and above their call of duty (par excellence, not average).  I'm sure

Marriott has an equivalent reward system.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

If it takes calling Seal Team Six back into action after their well deserved R&R, so be it.

Dej -- Special Forces never rest!

dejamo Platinum

NU,

Well, u got me there.  After spending 14 years with the teams off and on in various SBU's,  I seem to recall us calling it "down time".  Of course, that in and of itself leaves the interpretation wide open !  LOL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...