39 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2013 12:28 PM by anadyr RSS

Turned off by turn-down

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Is it just me or has the once amazing Marriott turn down service gone by the wayside?  In recent stays I have had the "service" only after asking for it (though it is in my profile), and when it happens it is a perfunctory knock on the door and a hurried offer of two gold wrapped chocolates, so that was it!

Love to hear if others are in the same boat?

• Re: Turned off by turn-down
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I had the turn down service at the Marquis in San Francisco. They tidied up the room (towels, etc.), turned down the bed and left chocolates. In the Marriott Anaheim, I had the service 2 of 5 nights I was there. They turned down the bed, period. I was not in the room for any of the times when the service was done, so I assume they knocked at least once....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Personally, I never cared for the service. I could just as easily lift the sheets tucked inside the mattress myself without being bothered by a knock on the door.

Just my personal preference.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I'm with you.  The less someone I don't know is in my room for anything the better.  Forget the turndown and I don't need the chocolates!

Gone and not forgotten

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I never really understood what the big deal was either. Maybe I just didn't stay at one of the properties that did anything extra...

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

wow.  I'm quite surprised so many think so little of this nice service.  I think it has been a nice touch and always appreciated coming "home" to a turned down bed and a few chocolates.  C'mon people, you go crazy for a concierge lounge that offers stale food, but you poo-poo turn down service????  Really???

I wasn't really trying to poo-poo it. I'm just kind of abivalent about it. It is kind of nice to have a few chocolates to bring home to the family, but I wouldn't be bent out of shape if it didn't happen either.

Like I said, wow.  My folks brought me up believing it was the little thinks in life that mattered.  I still believe it today.  The chocolates are unimportant, it is the thought.  Don't you get that???  If you don't, then you should stay at Motel 6.  Then again, they also reach out by "leaving the light on".........

You're right, it is the though that counts (not the chocolates). And it is nice that they make the effort to do a little something extra. It's just not going to influence my decision on where to stay either way.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'll take the CL any day over turn down service.  While in some cases it is particularly nice (Grand Flora), in others I would simply rather have my privacy intact rather than turn down service.

ProfChiara

ProfChiara

good point.  I think this may also be a gender thing.  My wife feels like you do on the subject.  In fact, she doesn't even like maid service at all.  she simply asks them for clean towels, does the rest herself.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

It is true that "the little things" can make a huge impression on guests, but turndown service as the point of focus? Not me - too trivial.

I would rather have improvements on "the little things" such as greeting me upon check-in as a Platinum Premier, serving me with respect for my status, always getting the room type and location as per my profile, a decent arrival gift, a personal greeting and welcome from the GM, etc. These matter to me more than pulling some sheets and a couple of chocolates.

I for one could do without the turn down service, and that's the reason I started this thread.  In fact  I see it as an artifact of a gentler, service-oriented time when little things added up to big ones:  Leaving your shoes outside the room and having them polished and returned, pressing articles of clothing after a long day and/or trip, and personal notes on your silver trayed Platinum arrival gift, for instance.

Well, I stand corrected.  It seems most people could care less about the turn down service.   Live and learn.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

The fewer times an employee comes into your room, the less chance there is for theft.

I've seen the turn down service once in awhile, but I'd just as soon they kept it down to one intrusion per day.

It should be offered as an optional service.

I vote for turn down to be on demand,not automatic, and yes the fewer personnel in the room the better.

Funny off-topic story (or rather morphed topic since the last couple posts were about personnel in the room)...

I was staying at the Gwinnett Mall Courtyard in Duluth (Atlanta), GA and for various reasons had placed the do not disturb sign in the door lock. I had some stuff set up for work that I didn't want moved/disturbed, etc. On the first couple days, I came back to the standard "sorry we weren't able to service your room, let us know if you need anything" type note. However, on the third day I came back to a note that said something to the effect of "we tried to contact you by phone and when we were unable to reach you, we entered your room to ensure your safety and wellbeing."

The right thing for me to do would have been to contact the front desk from the outset and request that they not service my room instead of relying on the DND sign. I just thought it was kind of amusing that "Do Not Disturb" eventually turned into "We tried unsuccessfully to disturb you by phone so then we attempted to disturb you in-person."

txnroses Platinum

I like the fact that turn down service gets you fresh towels and a bucket of ice.

I agree

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I look forward to the Marriott brand chocolate candy.

kahunapremier Platinum

Enjoy the service and I typically get: ice, water, chocolate (4 or 5) and that happens every night at a full service Marriott.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Versel -

I've also stayed at the Gwinett Mall Courtyard... they probably were just concerned for your welfare after 3 days of do not disturb. 

If you return to the area, I recommend you try the Marriott Norcross.  The staff there is amazing and the C Lounge is one of the best I've found.    I actually work north (near the Gwinett Arena), and love the Mariott Norcross so much it's worth the drive.

fhllast4ever Platinum

I like the chocolates, the dim lights on, and the music coming from TV, fresh towels, ice in the bucket - - - all these are nice "welcome" touches,

but wait -- no turn down please when I'm in the room!  Yes, it happened

last Saturday at Ritz Carlton Sarasota.  I did not hear the knock as I was

taking a nap.  I think her eyes were bigger than mine upon discovering

somebody else "turned down" the bed.  She apologized furiously and

left in such a hurry she forgot to leave some chocolates!

wizbang_fll Gold

Personally, after the H1N1 epidemic I don't particularly like all the people in and out of the room.  

After implementing this I've found I am much less likely to get colds, flu, etc but I actually travel more than I had in the past. 

I'm with the 'prefer not to have a turn-down at night' people, mostly for security reasons since I usually leave my computer on the desk (it frequently will not fit into the safe) and since I don't like chocolates.  I know the latter probably categorizes me as stranger than fiction, but alas, true.  And yes, I don't like people in my room more than absolutely necessary.

The exceptions are at the great hotels where I know not to put out the do not disturb signs in the afternoon (examples: Grand Flora, Paris Rive Gauche, Istanbul Polat Renaissance) where in each case I have returned to bottles of wine or champagne and at the Polat tray after tray of fresh fruit and Turkish desserts.  Strangely, I have never once come back to find a filled ice bucket anywhere.

Although I've never had Versel's story, my do not disturb sign is on my door more often than not (and the television left on).  No one has ever entered to see if I'm dead, but I have gotten phone calls to ensure that I really didn't want service.  I find that rather odd, since if you don't want to be disturbed a phone call does so.

So mostly I'd say put it on our preference page (and we can uncheck it if we choose for those really good hotels).

ProfChiara

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Did not realize how old the original post was, but...I like the "turndown" service.  Quite honestly, I don't need the chocolates or the bed turned down, I do appreciate the bathroom being freshened up - used towels replaced.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I'd rather not have them in my room; however I'm with lakersfan with the bathroom and towels being freshened.

I practically live with a do not disturb sign (or foreign version) with my hotel rooms, both because I am a woman traveling alone and because I don't want anyone to have the chance to poke through my belongings any more than necessary.  I guess on the towels, since it's only me, I don't want them refreshed unless I've done something awful like spilled red wine all over stuff -- I'd rather them save the money and lower costs (dream on, I know), plus be environmentally conscious.  But I DO understand why couples and families would want them changed.

Update, the turn down service may have gone the way of the Do Do Bird, at least as far as housekeeping is concerned.  But there may be outposts of service somewhere and someplace that adhere to the old-fashioned notice that room freshening is a nice thing.

Fine with me -- I get tired of locking up netbooks, cellphones and jewelry in a safe.  I guess I don't get turn down at all. What does this minimal service do for me? (Especially since I hate chocolate, when they put some of it on the bed or bedside?)

Yep there seems to be a hold over from the days of slippers , shoe shiners and shoe cloths that has "left the building."

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I missed this post in 2011.  I have to say I'm with shoeman and lakersfan on this one.  I do appreciate the turn down service and think its a nice customer service touch.  Although I find that most full service properties now no longer offer this service.  I can only remember two full service properties that I've stayed at this year to offer it and they were the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, VA and the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas.

I assume (and have no proof for this assumption) that the focus groups decided that this was an unnecessary or not well enough loved to continue.  But then we may never know why.  Perhaps the folks at HQ can clarify this for us?  communitymanager or merb can you help with this?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I thought I was in the camp of 'would rather not have them in my room,' as I agree that the less people in my room, the smaller the likelihood that something of value may 'disappear,' but in thinking about it, I have never had anything stolen from my room (though I am cautious to lock up/hide valuables) and I do find the turn down service - bed turned down, pillows fluffed, the chocolate, drapes drawn, lights turned on (well ok, perhaps not environmentally correct) - to be a nice touch.  I have mostly received it in Europe, here in the U.S., not so much.  It is my thought that stolen property would be less likely in Europe than it would be here, as the Europeans in the hospitality industry seem to take their jobs more seriously than here in the U.S.  I don't know how I'd feel about this on other continents.

I don't mean to disparage hospitality personnel her in the U.S.  We have been treated extremely well by some (even loaned personal chargers, adapters, cords, etc.).  Didn't mean to get sidetracked.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Possibly I am just lucky or even - as my wife might say - not in touch with reality.  Except for my passport and cash - and I hardly use cash, I have never locked up anything in a Marriott hotel room and never had any issues whether in the U.S. or traveling internationally.  I remember years ago my wife would "hide" her purse in a dresser drawer if we were going out to dinner and she did not want to take it.  I told her that I someone wanted to steal it, my guess is that they would look in all of the drawers.  Now, she either takes it or we put it in the safe  - if there is one.  Except for her purse and my passport - we have stopped "hiding" things.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I've never had an issue because I don't keep anything that is worth anything in the room other than a laptop and anything else remotely important is in the safe if they have it otherwise I drag it around somehow.

I do put my laptop, US and European cell phones, and jewelry in the hotel safe.  My big gripe about them is sometimes they don't work and sometimes even my Lenovo tablet does not fit.

I keep my Platinum Patek on my wrist and my gold teeth in my mouth, so no need for a safe.

I actually have given up keeping anything of value in the room, so need for a safe.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...