7 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2011 11:50 AM by nuhusker RSS

Club Lounge -- the competition

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just spent the week at the competition -- Sheraton Tech Center, Denver.  I paid $15 extra per night for club lounge access, but at check in I was actually assigned a room on the 10th (top) floor down the hall from the lounge.  10th also happened to be the only floor requiring key access in the elevator which I feel helps cut down on unauthorized use of the lounge.  The club lounge was great.  First of all, the attendant actually worked.  She was busy getting drinks (all complimentary including alcohol), and checking the food supply every time I was there.  Next, for breakfast we had not only scrambled eggs, but french toast and get this -- real bacon!  And yet, they managed to offer the oatmeal, cereal, fruit, and so on that Marriott does.  And...starting this week or next (I forget) all Sheratons will go to a 7-day a week open club lounge.  I'm not ready to dump Marriot for SPG, mainly because SPG isn't as available in most areas I visit, but Marriott could learn a thing or two from the competition.  I recall reading a magazine interview and an article on this site where Mr. Marriott boasted that his concierge lounges would start offering bacon.  Well I saw it once, about two weeks after I read the article and haven't seen or heard about it since.

• Re: Club Lounge -- the competition
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Husker

good info to have.  I hope Marriott responds to it's competition.  By the way, I love bacon!  Don't eat it too much anymore, makes it all the more enjoyable when I do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hey Shoeman - actually none of us eat bacon very much anymore, at least not at Marriott anyway.

Here's a good one: a Hee Haw classic...

Question:  what do you get when you cross an alligator with a can of spray starch?

Answer:  A good stiff belt!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hee Haw   -  now that is going back a bit.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Also good news to hear, as there are often no Marriotts in the places I stay (sometimes no Sheratons, Hiltons or others either). But I think you bring up a really important point -- why can't Marriott keep Concierge Lounges open all week and why don't all full service Marriotts and JRs have lounges?  Some really make up for it (the Ghent Marriott comes to mind), but others (Boston Copley Place) don't (a $10 Starbucks coupon doesn't do it for me).

Maybe someone could explain the thinking on why so many lounges close on weekends? I certainly don't think it is because people would use it less (perhaps the opposite?).

There are also lounges that technically remain open (your key card opens it) and you can at least get sodas, juice and water as well as use the computer, but others do not.

I think there should be a more universal policy.

ProfChiara

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I try to take advantage of the lounge when I can, but often it doesn't work out for me during the week for one reason or another. A lot of times weekends are the only time I really want to use the lounge. Invariably, I'll wake up, head down there to relax, have a few cups of coffee, and read the paper...then I get there and that operating hours plaque is staring me in the face and laughing at me.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Husker, I stayed at the Tech Center Marriott the week before you and am proud to report that two, repeat two varieties of bacon were on the menu in the Concierge Lounge during my stay: Canadian and Applewood Smoked Bacon!  There may have been other hot entrees but with bacon who needs them?

Reminds me of the days when Cholesterol was not my problem: pre-Lipitor that is.

I think you found an excellent hotel there in Denver.

"Maybe someone could explain the thinking on why so many lounges close on weekends? I certainly don't think it is because people wo"uld use it less (perhaps the opposite?).

There are also lounges that technically remain open (your key card opens it) and you can at least get sodas, juice and water as well as use the computer, but others do not.

I think there should be a more universal policy.

ProfChiara"

Prof -- I completely agree there should be consistency!  As for the usage on weekends, I can tell you that at the West Des Moines Marriott, which is the only place I've asked about it, they open on Sunday evening if there are 10 or more authorized users for that night.  Their scheduled hours are Sun-Thurs for evening, and Mon-Fri for morning.  When they don't open on Sunday evening, they do give authorized users a comp appetizer from the bar area, which depending on what you order can be a good deal or not.  I've never complained about it since I don't think they're required under the T&C to do it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...