7 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2011 1:56 PM by nycuws10025 RSS

Lost nights, lost stays, part 2

traveler2 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Ok, talked to 3 different people and got the same answer. Seems that if you book 2 rooms, one on points and one paid, you get credit but not the stays.Regardless of the fact that you paid for your room.

Heads up!!

If you want the stays you have to "GIFT" the rewards night keeping it completely separate and booked in their name. Then book another paid night for yourself and you will get your stays. We did get the points towards the bonus and our rewards points. Just not the stays. A very nice young lady did assure us that she would put a note in our account that if we were to come up 4 days short to get to platinum she could make sure we would still get platinum. She could not however give us the 4 nights stay.

Why don't they tell you this ahead of time!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lost nights, lost stays, part 2
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Traveler

This sounds ridiculous. a PAID room is a PAID room. You should receive credit for stayed nights. I would not accept ANY explanation other than "sorry sir, we made a mistake.  Your stay night will be credited to your acct immediately."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I agree. If that's the policy, then it needs clarification. I remember seeing several times that if you book multiple rooms, you're only credited nights for one of them. However, when I read this, it seems to me like the one paid room in your scenario should count.

In the "Elite Membership Requirements" section of the T&C it has amongst others:

1. Only nights personally stayed and individually billed at participating Marriott brand or Ritz-Carlton hotels are credited toward Elite Membership achievement and renewal. Accounts may not be combined to achieve Elite Membership.

3. Reward certificate stays do not count toward Elite membership.

Seems like they need a #5 or a further explanation on #1 or #3 saying that reward stays are assumed to be the personally stayed night. Or even better a policy change so that a "night" is a single paid room regardless of how many or what method of booking.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I agree with other posters, credit should be given for the paid room.

traveler2 Platinum

I agree as well and I argued that point! Both rooms were booked in our name  with 2 separate reservation numbers, one with points, one paid. They attach the free room to us and the paid room to the guest. Since you can't get stays for more than 1 room we were SOL. Although we were checked into the paid room, paid for it, stayed in it, and charged everything to our room we still won't get the stays.  Marriott knew which one we were in. The bottom line is....if you book a rewards room and a paid room at the same time make sure you "gift" the room and have it totally in their name. Then you only have one room so you'll get the credit. Crazy isn't it!! We did get the rewards points for the stay as well as the credit towards the bonus, just not the 4 nights stay. It doesn't make any sense to me but everyone I talked to knew exactly what the problem was so I have to assume this occurs quite often!!!! I could have argued till I was blue in the face but I don't think it would have made a difference.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I too agreed -- the paid part of the stay should count as a stay and qualify for the appropriate points, no ifs ands or buts.

ProfChiara

allleisure Platinum

The trick is for the member to check-in both rooms. That way you get the arrival gift points for the rewards room and get stay credit for the paid room. I have done this several times recently.

nycuws10025 Platinum

AllLeisure has it right. 

Be sure that you, the Marriott Rewards member, check in for and have your name on the room folio for all rooms that you have reserved in your name and with your MR number.

In case your guests should lock themselves out of their room when you're not available, or receive telephone calls or want to charge things to the room, have the friend's name added to that room when you check in: "The room and bill are to be in my name, however in case Mr. and Mrs. Jones get a telephone call or want to charge meals to their rooms, please add their names so that is possible."  

And then, when you check out, before settling the bill, look very carefully at the name and MR account number on the bill they give your for review.  If anything is wrong, get it fixed before you check out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...