10 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2011 12:25 AM by anadyr RSS

The power of "thank you."

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here it is.

I think sometimes we forget that words can have powerful effects as shown above.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The power of "thank you."
    engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for posting this..no tongue in cheek I promise! :-)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

None taken

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Stepping Stones:

Truth be told, the power of these words...and also please; yes, sir; yes, m'am and others seem to be more and more going the way of the do-do bird. Why is that? My parents taught me to always be respectful of those I was dealing with in any circumstance. Every time I deal with someone waiting on me in any capacity, one of the last words I say are 'Thank you'. 'Please' is there whenever I request something. If I may be imposing, it's 'excuse me, sir/m'am', but could I ask you if you could help me with.......'. Many times I just hear people say, 'get me this'; 'do this or that, ok'; and on it goes. Very disrespectful.

Looking clearly at the situations I encountered in San Fran and Anaheim with the CL's, it's an easy stretch to say these words are becoming extinct. Today it seems to be more about how rude you can be because one thinks they are 'entitled' to act in an improper way because they 'paid' for that right. It's so wrong.

I just don't get it and never will. Won't join the rudeness, either. Will always thank my Mom and Dad for that.

Sir and Ma'am are in my lexicon as well.

Years ago I recall meeting a Medal of Honor winner at a celebration and began to tell him of my admiration--he stopped me in my tracks and told me that many other hroes deserved thaks more than he did.  He thnked me for their service!

I think there are people for whom respect and courtesy live on, we just see fewer of them in our daily lives.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Well said, SS.

And, at risk of setting myself as a candidate for early "black-balling", I'd add that I have heard and seen some "distinguished" Marriott Reward card holders behaving in arrogant, high-handed ways that wouldn't win them any prizes for "Most Considerate Guest of the Year".

Dear Arkwright, yes, there are people who consider those who serve them to be no more than serfs, as evidenced by their boorish and inappropriate behavior.

I recall a kerfuffle some years back when a person who was a 1K (100,000 mile) flier with United, started making a scene at Dulles International Airport, demanding this and that. Throughout this tirade the United customer service agent merely smiled and nodded, no doubt irritating the 1K screamer more and more.

At I approached the podium I smiled and told the agent that the behavior of that 1K person was inexcusable and how much I felt for the agent as he took the verbal abuse.  He smiled, pushed me to the head of the upgrade list above the 1K fellow, and told me that he'd made sure that the 1K complainer's luggage had a marvelous trip to a destination far from home, and that it might take weeks to get back!

At last justice was served!!!

beachprincess Member 8 Reviews

I feel the same way.  We teach it to our children, but as adults we tend to forget the words 'thank you' and 'please'.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I have noticed this as well lately.  We all expect certain things when we travel as much as some of us to but we cannot take forgranted the things people that work for Marriott, the airlines, car rentals, etc do for us.  A simple thank you or cordial & respectful exchange between the employee and yourself can make a huge difference in everything.  Most of the time they are working very hard to make sure that their customers are happy.  In some cases I've noticed a good bit of extra effort lands them with a tossed off "thanks" from the person they busted tail to help....how much harder would it be to thank them properly by name?  I too have been the next person in line after someone who thought they were important was raising a stink with the employee I had to talk to next.  Its amazing how just being nice and polite can open the door to better service.

I challenge everyone to go one step farther.  If someone has done a great job or just did something that stood out, tell someone.  Tell their peers, tell their manager or heck post something on here.  The more we "reward" them with our praise the more likely they are to continue to excel in satisfying our desires.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Actually, there are a lot of us that do say "please" and "thank  you".

It works pretty well.

Thank you Techie and yes there are a bunch of us who feel the need to be polite is not just a superficial gesture but a heartfelt one.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...