24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2015 11:41 AM by carat RSS

Failure to provide platinum bonus points

chrismc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am confused about Marriott's policy fo properties r failing to provide platinum memebers their bonus points (arrival gift).

Let me explain:

Two months ago, I stayed at the Birmingham, AL Marriott. When I checked in, I indicated that I would prefer 500 points for my arrival gift. A week or so later, I checked my activity online and noticed that they forgot to add my points. I called the front desk and they apologized. For the inconveience, they sent me a $100 check. They explained that it was marriott's policy and that they failed to deliver me a promised service to me.

Two weeks ago, I checked into the Renaissance Ross Bridge Resort in Birmingham, AL. Once again, I told them that I would prefer points for my arrival gift. A week later, I checked my activity and noticed that they failed to add my arrival gift. I called the front desk manager and pointed it out and she said that she would send them in immediately.  When I asked why I wasn't offered $100, she said, "that you were acknowledged as a platinum member, but we just didn't add the points." I told her that I was never given a card to check a box, so how did she know that I was "acknowledged". She claimed that they recently changed the policy to be more green to stop using the cards.  I told her that I wasn't satified and she agreed to call her manager. I received a call from her 5 minutes later saying that they would provide me an extra 500 points for the inconvience.

Needlesstosay, I am confused at how two properties can handle the same situation entirely differently. I welcome your insight.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Montgomery, Alabama, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Montgomery
  • Re: Failure to provide platinum bonus points
    versel Alumni Steward Platinum

The Marriott handled it correctly and the Renaissance was in the wrong. I would call customer service and relate your experience to them.

According to the elite benefits T&C (link):

"The Platinum Arrival Gift 500 bonus points option is available only to Points earning Rewards Program Platinum Members staying at participating JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, Autograph Collection, and Marriott Vacation Club worldwide. Platinum Members earning Miles can not choose the 500 bonus points. Platinum Members will be compensated $100 for the inconvenience if participating Marriott brand hotel is unable to provide the guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

A minor number of points but a larger problem--consistency in benefits and awards. This is becoming common at Marriott as well as other providers.  I find it disconcerting to have to dog a provider to ensure that I get what the have promised -- and fail to deliver.

Sorry to hear about this! Let us know if it happens again, please.

chrismc Platinum

Update: The Renaissance posted the original 500 bonus points to my account, but failed to post the additional bonus points that were promised.  I called Marriott rewards yesterday and explained the situation. They took care of it and posted the "good will" points.

I'm a little disappointed because I don't think this has been taken care of properly. I've been loyal to Marriott for 10 years and have never had a problem. So it begs the question, as a customer, where do you go when you need help or have a question?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Versel's response quoted the following policy:

"Platinum Members earning Miles can not choose the 500 bonus points. Platinum Members will be compensated $100 for the inconvenience if participating Marriott brand hotel is unable to provide the guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift."

Any lawyer can interpret "is unable to provide the guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift" as meaning that if the hotel is out of wine and cheese they are unable to provide it. However, the hotel is always able to provide points, so in this case they merely forgot to place the request in the record.

Just my two cents.

jsc1506 Gold

I agree policy tends to shift based on the operator of each site and staff training.  I hate paying for internet, but some of the chains do this.   Bottom line is Marriott is the best business traveler hotel I have stayed at, a $100 bonus for not getting 200 points is a great deal 20 dollars actual credit versus points.  Especially true if your company paid for the room.   

Happy Travels

artstraveler Platinum

In the past I used to call platinum elite customer service after about every third stay because a hotel failed to credit my account for the arrival gift bonus points even though I'd chosen it -- often after I had to remind the clerk about the gift at check-in. I've not had to do this for more than a year because no matter the level of hotel where I'm staying -- Spring Hill, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Marriott, Vacation Club, etc. -- the front desk automatically asks my choice of gifts. (I always pick the points.) Also, desk clerks invariably thank me for being a platinum elite member. I am guessing the clerks get a computer prompt to say this when they call up the reservation.

Anyway, customer service always made the points adjustment for me. My having to call was a nuisance. Still, $100 in place of the points seems quite generous. I'd settle for an apology, and maybe an increased number of points. 

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

chrismc, I can understand your confusion on this point, given your experience at the hotels.  Please allow me to clarify our policy regarding the Platinum Arrival Gift Guarantee.  Monetary compensation is not available when a member selects points, only a refreshment amenity.  The fact that the Birmingham Marriott gave you the $100 compensation was a good will gesture on their part, but it was not something they were required to do.  

I sincerely hope that you will never again have an experience where your points or gift are not delivered, however please note that if you do choose a refreshment amenity and it is not received, you should address the non-receipt of your amenity before leaving the hotel to qualify for monetary compensation. 

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as we need to continually work on training our associates to ensure the best possible service for our guests.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I realize this is an old post, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

Why do the printed regulations not specify that it has to be the food welcome gift to qualify for the monetary remuneration?

Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions

1. Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift is available at all participating Marriott hotel brands. See below for Platinum Arrival Gift options by brand:

BrandGift
      JW Marriott, Autograph
      Collection, Renaissance Hotels,
      Marriott Hotels & Resorts
      500 bonus points or Food & Beverage amenity
      Courtyard (U.S. & Canada),
      SpringHill Suites, Residence
      Inn
      200 bonus points or Food & Beverage amenity

7. Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift is available at all participating Marriott Hotel brands. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies (see below):

Brand
      Guest Compensation*
      JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott
      Hotels & Resorts

$100 USD
      Courtyard (U.S. & Canada),
      SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn

$50 USD

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

eb-- if I understand your point, I don't think the welcome gift you don't receive has to be the food item.  From personal experience, and others that I've read on MI, failure to offer the welcome gift, period, is enough to receive the monetary compensation.  This happened to me 2 or 3 years ago at the Marriott MCO.  Upon check in, and at no other time during my stay, I wasn't offered a welcome gift.  After I checked out and a few days after my points for that stay were posted, I emailed custome.care@marriott.com, and within a few days I heard from the GM and a week or so after than I received a $100 Marriott gift card in the mail.  Other Insiders have said they brought the discrepancy to the hotel's attention prior to check out, but I didn't do that and still was compensated.

Thanks, nuhusker.

I found after posting here that the communitymgr. said you only got it on food and bev. because you can get the points at anytime.  Well, by that logic, they can mail cheese and wine or a bottle or 2 of water at any time.  That's really fraudulent all the way around, isn't it?  I mean, just remove the guarantee if you're going to lie about it anyway.

And they have the rule set up that you have to mention it before you check out.  There have been so many times that they haven't mentioned it to me and I'd call back down in a while getting the answer that they'd given me to points because they thought that's what I'd like.  That another BS since I'm sure they immediately went to my check-in file to post it.

But my most recent problem being rectified by CS was to give me 1000 points instead of the 200.  And THAT is the way CS handles ours.  My husband is PPEL, and we've been staying in an RI continually for more than 2 years.  Talk about cheap, and when we generate at least $30,000 per year for them just for our lodging?

I'm thinking more of looking into the Homewood Suites to stay in.  We might not get as good of a room rate, but it's tempting.

BTW, I had contacted the GM before calling CS.  She said that she didn't know how to add the check-in points to our room.  (She'd done it plenty of other times, though, or maybe she just had desk clerks who did it while she knew nothing, but she's not dumb.)   

Location Brand Hotel
          Montgomery, Alabama, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Montgomery
          tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

nuhusker,

I wonder if this has been changed from the time when I ran into this about a year ago.  The way I'm interpreting this now, from reading the community manager's post, is that if you have on your profile that you prefer the points for the welcome gift, it doesn't qualify for a monetary refund, because the points for your stay are usually added later, and usually several days after your stay.  The logic may be that since a person prefers points, it really doesn't matter in the same way, because you're not going to go to your room and enjoy the points upon your arrival.  If you had on your profile that you prefer the food or beverage option, and then don't get it, you are missing something you should have been able to enjoy in your room right after check in.  Missing that treat would be grounds for monetary reimbursement.  I can see why they have worded it that way after analyzing it that way.

I have always had the welcome gift points preference in my profile.  I don't eat cheese or drink wine.  I eat fritos and drink michelob ultra.  That's not an option on the welcome gift menu.  When I wasn't greeted at the Marriott MCO, nor offered any welcome gift, I didn't say anything.  I wasn't going to do the front desk clerk's job for him.  A few days after my stay, my points for the stay were posted, minus any points for tyhe welcome gift.  That's when I contacted customer.care@marriott.com, who in turn forwarded my concern to the GM.  I received my $100 Marriott gift card within a week.  And if it happens again, I'll respond accordingly.

here's an update on a more recent experience.  Last month I stayed at a CY and after a few days my normal points per dollar posted, but not the 400 Platinum welcome points.  I waited a week and still not there, so I sent an email to customer.care@marriott.com.  Another week went by and finally 1000 points were posted.  I sent another email saying that I was still expecting my $50 for not receiving my arrival gift.  I got a call that same day from at customer care supervisor in Omaha who, after hearing my story asked me if 10,000 points would be ok instead of $50.  I took it.  Point is, I play by their rules and expect them to do the same.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Have been staying at Marriotts for almost a dozen years now, and thankfully have never encountered this problem.  After they welcome me to the botel, that's usually the first question that they ask me!

jisaac Platinum

I just sent a message to MR with a list of recent stays where the welcome amenity was not posted. This is not something we should have to do. Rather, Marriott should enforce the issue on our behalf. There have been comments that $100 compensation is generous for failing to deliver points. And I agree. In return for their generosity they will gain our allegiance to the Marriott brand. Service issues are what causes hotel chains to lose members.

As a Platinum with Marriott I do expect rules to be enforced and for hotels to pony up when they fail. At Hyatt where I have Diamond status they enacted a bonus offered in addition to the welcome gift when a hotel fails to deliver. The bonus is posted automatically (IME) and on a number of occasions I have looked over my account and see the late addition. That is customer service and that is why Hyatt has retained me as a dedicated member for so long.

Marriott points are among the lowest valued point currency among those who collect points. The small bonus/amenity they provide has limited value anyway, but they should make the effort to deliver.

That is my opinion.

nadine Platinum 1 Reviews

I have had instances where there is a failure to offer a "gift" of any type.  I have sometimes been given the $100 guarantee compensation.  However I have at times had to call CS regarding the failure to offer.  Sometimes CS has said that I have to give the hotel the opportunity to give me either points or amenity by letting them know of their failure and it must be done before I leave the hotel.  So at that point, the hotel will just give you the points.  Now how does that ever play into the policy of the $100 compensation.  The hotel would of course always give you points instead of handing you $100.  That would entirely nullify the "guarantee" or a gift or $100 compensation.  When I tell customer service this, they do not seem to understand like I am not even speaking English.

Recently the Marriott Suites in Dallas told me they would give me the points as my Platinum gift.  However several days later when my points for the stay were posted there was not 500 points for Platinum gift.  I called the hotel and was told by front desk manager that the platinum gift points always appear about 3 days later.  We all know that is not the truth.  I then called CS and was told they would just add the points and I pushed regarding the $100 compensation since the hotel did not do their job correctly.  I received an email 5 days later saying CS had requested the $100  and I would receive a reply within 48 hours.  So 12 days later they still have not replied.

Today I again called CS.  Talked to several people as first one cut me off, second was rude, 3rd did not understand so she gave me supposedly a supervisor who said her name was Evon.  Evon said all CS had to do in the case was to give me the 500 points.  I then asked her when the $100 compensation would ever come into play.  She told me to "not tell her how to do her job".  I said I was going to have to just write to Mr. Marriott to get clarification, she offered the address and I told her I had the address and phone number.  She said "Well good for you"  I told her I was writing down what she was saying.  She said "and I am writing down what a ***** you are".  She continued her tirade. I told her I was going to end the conversation. She said "I am writing that you hung up on me".

At this point I never want to set foot in another Marriott.  I am today in a Sheraton where I am also gold.  They have a good program and I am treated very well.  Do not have to beg for an upgrade, and am offered breakfast without a hassle. 

Marriott should just do away with the "Platinum guarantee" of the $100 compensation.  No one including the lady at the executive office I spoke with today really knows what the rule might be.  They should also do away with the 48 hour room guarantee because that only applies if there is not a special event or if they are sold out.  DUH! 

I will be applying for the Starpoints credit card when I return home.  I am thru with the Marriott when I use up my free nights and all of my points.

@nadine,

I'm viewing this late, but I agree with your analysis completely.  Broken promises by a business are MUCH worse than no promises at all, and do more harm than good.

Your call should have been reviewed by Marriott when the CS called you a *****, IMHO.  I've had similar incidents with CS and a mgr. or 2.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

There is no excuse for CS to treat you poorly.  Hope you let Mr Marriott know.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Interesting.  They forgot my 500 point bonus at the Ann Arbor Marriott.  When I called, they apologized profusely and added 500 points to my bonus 500.  No talk of $100.

Join the crowd.

rand Platinum 3 Reviews

I Have had similar experiences Where I have contacted marriott customer service and I was told they will make adjustments to my points, however they Didn't.

Most recently I signed up for the megabonus points rewards program - stay 20 nights get 35k points, and stay 5 more nights and get another 15k points.  that same week I received a card in the mail stating stay 15 nights get 35k and 5 more nights to get another 15k.  I called and spoke to a rep who said they would honor the card requirements, but they didn't.  I emailed and explained the situation.  I received an email back saying again they will honor the card, but as of two weeks ago I have stayed the 15th night and I have not seen the points added to my account.

They say they will but they won't.  Then they say they did, but they don't.

That might be one of those adjustments they will have to do by hand after the promo is ended in the same way that it's done to change rewards.  That would be my guess and my guess is that's it's already noted in your file.

Let us know after the promo if you don't reach the 25 nights and only reach 15 or 20.

traveljoy1 Platinum

Hello

marriott is is still having the same problem in 2015. I have had platinum bonus missing in 3 stays in 3 months. At the Renisance in Fort Worth the manager on duty and general manager refuse to return my telephone calls and emails. This is odd since there was no biting comments, just request to get points added back, The system of problem resolution needs to be streamlined

anyone else having the same problem? Is there a contact at Marriott that can help?

i

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

This sounds terribly frustrating, traveljoy1.  Could you please send me a private message with the dates and properties of your missing stays? I'd like to work with our team to see if we can provide assistance/clarity around this.  Thanks in advance!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...