5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2011 1:32 PM by kristyw RSS

Worth?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to a new study, the value of the frequent-flier miles, hotel points, credit card rewards and other loyalty programs was about $48 billion in 2010.

That doesn’t include cash discounts that grocers and other retailers often offer. The study estimates nearly one-third of the points go unredeemed. Since the average household earns $622 a year in miles and points, over $200 is wasted or unused.

The average household has 18 loyalty program memberships.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Worth?
    versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I know I make the most out of my points :)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I saw this study in a USAToday article and was surprised by the number of accounts that families have. No wonder stores always say "want our card today?"

For me, I limit the number of programs I am involved in to a select few. Having the bunches that most seem to carry would seem to be first, hard to track, and second, difficult to keep from having points voided from non-use.

I use every point I get in some manner. I can't see the advantage of belonging to so many programs that I can't keep track of what I have and worse yet, allowing points to expire because I didn't have enough to use them.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

The average household has 18 loyalty program memberships.

IMO, this says it all - how can anyone manage 18 programs and not have points expire or accumulate enough points within a program to maximize value?

Like TEF, I keep my loyalty programs simple - and with the Marriott VISA, this makes it even easier. In addition to the VISA, I have 3 hotels, 3 airlines, AMEX, 1 department store. My wife and two teenagers have 2 airlines each. In total, my household has 15.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pingreeman

Isn't it amazing how quickly the programs add up???  It's hard not to have 3 hotel groups, 3 airlines, 2 rental car groups, and 2 to 3 national credit cards.  That doesn't even include any local loyalty programs, dining establishments, department stores, and the list goes on.....

kristyw Platinum 3 Reviews

I too have several programs and would like to see if it is possible to convert my frequent fliers to Marriott Rewards and just use Marriott the most and down size on the airline programs.   Hotels are easy - 9 out of 10 stays for are with only Marriott Brands.   Any ideas for notifying the airline loyalty programs and converting my points to Marriott points?   Marriott is the easiest to manage and keep track of for me. 

Thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...