7 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2011 6:22 AM by profchiara RSS

Overcharged

steveh Member
Currently Being Moderated

Nice hotel if you don't mind getting overcharged for everything. I have stayed in several hotels over the years for business but have not felt like I was getting gouged until my stay in Atlanta. The room rate seemed fair but it will cost $30 per day to park in the hotel parking. If you need to use the wifi it will cost you. I called the front desk to ask about the wifi and they walked me through the process of setting up the wifi and at the end the a a radio button you have to check that says it will charge you $12.95 for 24 hours of wifi service. The lady at the front desk said don't worry it won't charge you. When I got the bill they had charged me so when I went to the front desk to talk to them about it I got the run around. also the food and drink is over priced. A bottle of water will cost you $3 and the breakfast buffet will cost you $24 per person and it is not that great. Very disappointed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
  • Re: Overcharged
    versel Alumni Steward Platinum

It's dissapointing and frustrating when you get misleading information. I would bring it up with the manager. Even if you don't know the name of the associate, it gives them an area to focus on for training purposes.

Complimentary Internet access is offered to Gold and Platinum members. I've stayed at some properties where this is clearly indicated on the login page. And others where I had to call to the front desk to be sure. Seems to vary quite a bit (the communication of the policy, not the policy itself).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

In the past I've sometimes had the internet charge appear on my bill, though it hasn't happened to me since the worldwide free for Gold and Platinum started.  It usually was resolved at the desk by pointing out my MR status.

ProfChiara

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I've never had it charged to my bill, even though it asks if I approve the charge as I'm connecting.  I usually just call the front desk to confirm I won't be charged before connecting.

rcrodgersjr Platinum

I've never been charged or had it appear on my hotel bill since the changers were made for Rewards members. I will agree with you  though that the Marquis is expensive. To beat that I stay at the airport location it was always substantially less and parking isn't an issue. I always need a vehicle when I travel to Atlanta and that was a major part of my decision to stay at the airport.

dw152a Gold

Most big-city places charge a lot for parking.  I was at a Marriott last month that charged $44 a day for parking.  $3 for bottled water?  That seems the going rate for almost any place I stay at, ranging from Courtyards to Marriotts.  $12.95 for internet is also the going rate at Marriotts, but internet is free at their other brands, such as Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Residence Inn, TPS, so you may want to stay at one of these places next time.

Usually these prices are clearly stated on their website, so do your due diligence.  I was at a Marriott last week that charged $9 per day for parking, which was silly since it's in the suburbs and not in the city, but it's disclosed on their website.  The fee that gets me is the so-called resort fee that some places will try to charge you when you show up.

vrrooom Platinum

You need to uderstand the game -- hotel revenue generation.  It is played as follows:

• Room rates are posted on the internet and are positioned with the local competition and occupancy in mind, so they are the sents that draw customers to the flower (hotel)
    • All other charges inside the hotel are marked up 2-300% over cost for overhead and profit. Some would say that the flower is a Venus Flytrap.
    • The real kickers are the external charges that also bear the same high markups such as laundry

Playning the game to win requires that you understand the rules shown above and ask for and get free internet, parking, breakfast whaterver.  I have a saying that helps remember what to do:

They who ask - nicely - get, those who demand or don't ask - get nothing.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

MMMMMlifer is right.  The charges are outrageous and outlandish for things like parking, water, phone calls, etc.  But they are usually clearly posted and are typically in line with similar hotels in a given area.  So due diligence is definitely the way to go.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...