12 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2011 9:23 PM by nuhusker RSS

Resort Fee at JW Desert Springs Resort and SPA

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

received an email this morning that said property is going to start charging a resort fee.  $24. So after a complete fiasco with Marriott Rewards for answers as instructed by the email, I called the hotel directly.  Covers the normal stuff... parking, golf club storage, fitness center, access to "lawn games" at the SPA, turn down service, two bottles of water daily, and internet.  I mentioned that I was platinum and thought internet was comp anyway, at which time the resort fee was adjusted downward to $16/day.  So... since parking is normally $12, bottled water probably $2 each, and I suppose storing my clubs inside is just as good as the truck of the rental car, I'll pay the fee.

Now for the vent.  As stated, I called MR (8014684000) as instructed in the email announcement if I had any questions.  After listening to a recording of my point balance, etc, and hearing that the aprx waiting time was 4 min, I held...for more than 10 min.  Then I spoke with an associate, who did his best to recite to me the email I had received.  I told him I wanted clarification, which he was not able to provide so I asked to speak with a supervisor. In come the supervisor to the rescue.  Unfortunately all she could offer was an excuse that MR had just found out about the change and therefore had no further info, but she did offer to put me on hold (salt in the wound) while she called the hotel directly.  I told her how rediculous it was that I was on hold for over 10 min to begin with and they should change their periodic announcement from "Thank you for your patience" to "Thank you for your business" since my patience ran out after about 5 min.  I also told her that it was absurd to give me a number to call, put me on hold for over ten minutes,  only to be told we don't know! No apology, just continued explanations/excuses.  But, the supervisor did acknowledge the platinum status.  Feels better already.  Oh well, I reckon I told them.  They probably hung up and laughed about how they'd pissed off another customer.  That's certainly the impression I have of their operation.

Edited to change the name to Desert Springs Resort and SPA.  Sorry Desert Ridge.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arizona, USA
  • Re: Resort Fee at JW Desert Ridge
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

NUHUSKER

nice to see a post from you!  I feel your pain and wonder out loud how much longer we consumers, who are starting to really consume again, will have the companies we trade with re-build their staffs to cover the added business.  Nothing is more frustrating than trying to buy, or at least interact with someone, and hitting a brick wall.   Hell, at least you are going somewhere very nice AND taking your sticks with you.  I'm jealous.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Super fantastic resorts (at least in their own mind and according to their rates but not Marriott ones) often charge a resort fee that allegedly includes all you mentioned as well as gratuities for the staff who clean your room.

I know this because of conventions that I've attended at Tuscon National and even here locally at the Lodge at Pebble Beach.

What hurts is that the rooms are over $600 a night  at Pebble Beach (I was not staying there since I live a mile away) but the event planners had to suffer with this fee for each room they booked.

Resort fees seem like a hidden tax to me and you were right to complain!

IM me if you want a better phone number to call for assistance--no voice mail purgatory at least that I have encountered.  I seem to recall that several chains who added an energy surcharge were forced to pay us back in a class action settlement.

Have you called the resort directly and spoken with management? I would try that as well.  Platinum Elite status should be good for something!!!!!

Stepping Stones -- it's not about the fee.  I've spent a lot more money on a whole lot less.  The gal at the hotel was informative when I did call and ask specific questions about what the fee covered.  As I stated, just the parking and 2 bottles of water is worth $16/day.  But it was that confound message while on hold "Thank you for your patience" that pushed me over the top...that coupled of course with the 10+ minutes hold time.  And then to get a non-answer.  The supv said they'd just found out about the fee.  So what was she waiting for to call the hotel for clarification?  Why offer to do it when I call?  Whey wasn't that already done or at least the call in progress?  Anyway, you  can bet we'll enjoy it along with a few nights at the cosmopolitan in LV.  We like the sun, hot weather, swimming pool, golf and iced cold beer.  Can't wait.

curiousone Platinum

I am always surprised when I hear about a "parking" fee at JW Marriott Desert Ridge. JWDR has surface parking around the hotel grounds and no garage. The surface parking is free. The only way you could pay for parking at JWDR is to use the valet. My wife and I will be staying at the Cosmopolitan on June 17 & 18. I was surprised that they take a 1 night deposit on your credit card when you book, since none of the Marriotts do that. Oh well, they will credit it back when I pay with Marriott Cheques.

Curious One -- According to the JW Desert Ridge web site, self parking is $12.00/day and valet is $26/day.

I also didn't like that I was charged for the first night in advance at the cosmopolitan.  The rate rules definitely did not indicate this when I made the reservation.  I suspect that if I have to cancel, my card will be refunded.

• Re: Resort Fee at JW Desert Springs Resort and SPA
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I've been complaining about resort fees for years and since then they have only gotten worse and more egregious.

The crime of it all is that it's pure gravy for the property and no matter how they try to justify it, the reason we pay hundreds of dollars a day at a resort is to take advantage of the facilities of which the lawn bowling and shuffleboard should be included, otherwise we are just paying for the room and nothing else.

Somewhere over the past 7-10 years an industry bean counter must have had an epiphany and come up with the idea of charging for things that are by definition are already included. When you come think about it, it's a pretty brilliant idea. I'm surprised oil companies haven't found a way to charge for rental of the gas pump when filling up.

I take extreme exception to resort fees, but the thing that I hate the most is that I'm forced to pay for activities and/or facilities that I have absolutely no intention of using.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

MikiegFla

I totally agree with you.  If you think about it, we, as consumers, are being forced (tricked) into buying many features we have no interest in.  Whether it's bundled features on a computer, bundled accessories on a car, resort fees covering stuff you will never use, cable packages, etc.  Companies have decided that bundled services appeal to many of us as a great deal.  In  fact, as you point out, you end up paying for stuff you would never buy.  I'ts called marketing......

Got an email today from Marriott Insiders telling me that they'd edited my original post to this thread.  Although they gave me no reason or explanation, it appears they have deleted the names of the Marriott employees.  So, it appears from other posts by myself and others that as long as you say the employee is doing a good job it's ok, but if you question their ability or state your dissatisfaction, the post gets edited and names deleted.  Now ain't that some bull!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

NUHUSKER,

I just wanted to follow up on your comment about Marriott associate names being deleted from member posts on Insiders.  I appreciate you bringing this up so that I can clarify why names are changed/deleted.

Awhile back we allowed full Marriott associate names to remain in member posts, however due to privacy and legal reasons we have moved to a policy of replacing these names with the first name and initial of the last name.  If you see any recent posts with full names of associates, this is due to an oversight on our part; it should not in any way be a reflection of the content of the post.  I will try to make sure we are most diligent about consistency in this regard.  Thank you again for the feedback!

Regards,

Laura

Well that's interesting, Laura, since in my original post I did not use anyone's last name.  I used first name only.  But the real point is that it is apparent to me that as long as I am complimentary you and your editors don't bother removing the names.  But when I am critical, you not only completely remove the first name, but then send me an email without explanation.  By the way, should we use your first name and first initial of your last name when referencing you?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

NUHUSKER, First, thank you for clarifying your point.  I did not realize that the names deleted from your post did not include last names.  In my previous response I was trying to provide a general explanation for why names might be altered/deleted from posts on this site, particularly since you mentioned that you were given no explanation in the email you received from customer service.  I apologize for not directly addressing your point, and can certainly understand your frustration.  When the beta Insiders site launched we didn't have specific guidelines for issues such as this, so part of this has been a learning process.  We do, however, now have standards in place so it is essential that we be consistent, and as you pointed out we were not consistent with the treatment of your post.  Please accept our apologies.  Our goal is only to protect hotel associate privacy and not to censor constructive member comments, so in this case we were definitely in error.

Also, please be assured that Marriott does welcome all feedback from our guests -- both positive and negative -- which allows us to continually improve our training and overall service, particularly for our most valued guests such as our Insiders members.  I will follow up with our team to make sure we are collectively consistent with our guidelines going forward.

Regards,

Laura

Thank you, Laura.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...